Stealth CAI--What to expect and what NOT to do. - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #81
DerbyCityGinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106672
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 DerbyCityGinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Got it on last night! I always have trouble with those black screws that you have to pry out but i just pulled the fender liner back enough not to have to worry about them.

Since I didn't have the stock MAF tube and resonator on the car to begin with all I had to do was get that old airbox out. Two of the bolts were so rusted I couldn't really turn them. Solved the problem by yanking down on it hard enough to break the airbox off at the pastic held in by the bolts. It's a little unprofressional and not very clean looking but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The K&N RX-4120 filter that BlazingCopper_ZX3 reccommended on his website (see link in the OP) worked perfectly. I attached it to the stock MAF tube I got from _fifth_ using some of the filter oil (it wasn't gonna be hard to fit without it but it is suggested), screwed my old MAF sensor into it and started to bolt it onto the car with the 1/2" bolt. This is the only part that may not be done right and will have to be fixed sometime down the road. The screw didn't go into the hole all the way. I checked to make sure it was the right spot (it was) and tried again. There could be rust or debris in there but its good enough for now.

Bolted the resonator with hydrocarbon trap onto the MAF tube. The TB boot was already attached to the resonator. If anyone is going to do this mod, do the opposite and attach it to the TB first. It took a while to get it on the TB properly but eventually I just broke out the filter oil, lubed it up and twisted it on there. Got the other side on the resonator and tightened the clamps. I'm not sure exactly what it is but theres some hose or valve or something that goes into the boot.

Then I took the air dam that I melted the cracks back together (practice for the bumper cover) and started to bolt it to the front holes in the bumper, then moving towards the sides and finally the driver side fender liner (the passenger side is cut there, but i did just get a new one to put on there. Whats awesome about the air dam being on there is that since its screwed into the bumper cover, its straightened the bent and cracked parts of the bumper cover and makes it look noticeably better.

I put the drivers side tire back on and was going to replace the cut fender liner, but the car had enough modding for the night and the lugs wouldn't come off with the tire iron. Need to have someone with an impact gun help me out.

Turned on the car and it idles about the same as the old SRI, haven't taken it for a test drive yet.

EDIT: Just did the test run to take some things back to my house. I can't really tell if it has better peformance than the old shoddy custom short ram but I do love it for the simple reason of being able to hear my engine instead of WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH from air being sucked into the SRI. It feels a little quicker and crisper but I'm not sure if that's real or just my imagination.

Last edited by DerbyCityGinger; 09-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Bookmarks & Social Networks