Brand new ST3 w/ vibration (~60mph) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
kjaeger74
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118461
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST3

FF Reputation: 1 kjaeger74 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brand new ST3 w/ vibration (~60mph)

Hello all. I would like to get some opinions/advice about an issue I'm having with my NEW ST3 model.

Test drove the car (overnight) so I could try my normal commute to work, 45 miles one way, to test overall drive-ability and mph. It was great, averaged 31 mpg, good enough for me. Drove as expected, no vibrations that I noticed.

I bought the car and commuted a couple of days and started to notice a vibration through the steering wheel and throughout the car (in the seats, dash would vibrate too). I could feel and hear a whump whump whump in the tires too, at lower speeds. Took it into the dealer and explained the situation. They drove it and agreed "it wasn't right".

They ended up checking wheels/tires for balancing (made minor adjustments to the wheel weights as they were off a "little" bit. Everything balanced fine at that time. Front driver side tire had flat spot so they ordered two tires for the front. They also ordered and replaced the driver side half shaft as they thought it was out of balance and that was the vibration issue. After the half shaft and tires were replaced it STILL vibrates at around 60 mph (where it's worst, but noticeable above 50 and up to 80 or so).

Then they thought it was a bent wheel (but it balanced ok?). So I told them to put the wheels/tires from another ST on the lot on my car to rule out the wheel possibility. They swapped the wheels today and said that my ST with the wheels from another brand new ST1 and drove it. It STILL has the vibration. So then they put those ST1 wheels back on the ST1 and drove that car and they say that the ST1 vibrates just like my car. So two different STs, same dealership, have vibrations at higher speeds.

I'm going to the dealership soon to drive the blue one and to figure out the next steps. The dealer is now claiming that the ST suspension and low profile tires are to blame and that there is nothing wrong with my ST3.

I DO NOT believe this car should vibrate at around 60 mph to the point where I can see my leg shaking, the passenger seat back shakes visibly and audibly. It's NOT normal in my opinion.

Oh, the two replacement tires they bought for my car don't match what was on my car to begin with. So now I have Eagle F1 summer tires on the front and Eagle F1 all season tires on the rear. Totally different tires!

So.... What do you guys think? Any ideas, opinions, advice?

BTW, I'm in the Northern Virginia area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Joshw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94241
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 in Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Joshw Good Standing Member
I've got just over 4,100 miles on my ST2 now, and I've never had any vibration at ANY speed. It's one of the smoothest cars I've ever owned. Something is definitely not right. I really don't have any idea what could be causing it, so I'm sorry that I'm no help there, but if they can't figure it out...take it to a different dealer!

2013 Ford Focus ST...and LOVE IT!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
PrankOne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117902
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Metallic ST3

FF Reputation: 1 PrankOne Good Standing Member
I have 4,128 miles on my ST3 & I NEVER had that issue. The only thing I could think could be the problem is the motor mounts...I'm no mechanic, but looks like you exhausted all other options. Hope you figure it out, I'd be frustrated over that. A new sports compact should not be having those issues. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Nope, no vibration normally. I'm not sure what's causing yours, but it's not typical.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
kjaeger74
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118461
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST3

FF Reputation: 1 kjaeger74 Good Standing Member
Sooo... I went back to the dealer and drove both my car and the other ST. Mine still had the vibration but the other ST did not. So I asked them to swap the wheels again so I could drive my car with the other ST's wheels and tires. No vibration in my car at that time. So they let me keep the wheels and tires from the other new ST. Drove home (about 50 miles) with no vibrations! Sweet... but...

Now I have a tire pressure sensor error/warning popping up on the message console on the gauge cluster! Ugh...Wonder if they didn't attach something or if something got disconnected/broken when they were swapping wheels back and forth between the two cars? I'll have to call them about that on Monday. At least my vibration is gone now.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I have lower profile tires than an ST and my tires are tucked my suspension is so low. I have no vibrations. Sounds like something is wrong with the car. I'd take it back and leave it on their lot.

EDIT: I didn't see your last response. Good for you.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
ChrissyL
Trying to Focus

Fan#: 64813
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 13 ChrissyL Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaeger74 View Post
Sooo... I went back to the dealer and drove both my car and the other ST. Mine still had the vibration but the other ST did not. So I asked them to swap the wheels again so I could drive my car with the other ST's wheels and tires. No vibration in my car at that time. So they let me keep the wheels and tires from the other new ST. Drove home (about 50 miles) with no vibrations! Sweet... but...

Now I have a tire pressure sensor error/warning popping up on the message console on the gauge cluster! Ugh...Wonder if they didn't attach something or if something got disconnected/broken when they were swapping wheels back and forth between the two cars? I'll have to call them about that on Monday. At least my vibration is gone now.
Most likely, you'll need to have the dealer retrain the TPMS sensors-to-system communication. Earlier Foci with TPMS had a somewhat complicated procedure an owner could use to retrain the system, but I see nothing about that in the current generation manual or ST supplement. Nothing on Ford's owner website, either.

My ST3 has 2,200 miles on it (5 weeks since delivery) and has no vibration issues other than a slight misfire which will be addressed at the 3,000 mile break-in service. Good luck with yours!
NW Posse #17
"Straight roads are for fast cars. Curvy roads are for fast drivers."
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaeger74 View Post
...Now I have a tire pressure sensor error/warning popping up on the message console on the gauge cluster! Ugh...Wonder if they didn't attach something or if something got disconnected/broken when they were swapping wheels back and forth between the two cars? I'll have to call them about that on Monday...
Hi kjaeger74,

Your dealership will be able to assist you with this. Additionally, I want to loop in your regional customer service manager so they can help. PM me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks