Basic Bolt-ons: Intakes and Induction - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #261
evileee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88023
What I Drive: 2005 black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 evileee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I do know that the computer is constantly monitoring and adjusting the air/fuel mixture while the car is running (at least thats what it looks like when I hook up my laptop and run my odb2 software). When I installed my CAI, I noticed my MPG went up as well as power

On my G-Nex about my 05 ZX4 st

18" Bentchi's wearing Nexxan 215-35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #262
froggyj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117315
What I Drive: 2005, gray, zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 1 froggyj Good Standing Member
question: is it just safe to assume that a regular cai (fswerks for example) won't hurt my pzev engine? i called a guy at aem and he said that it wouldn't jive with my car.

there seems to be nothing in the way of carb legal cai's for my 05 pzev, besides the cosworth.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #263
NC-Mike
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103054
What I Drive: 2013 Siver Ingot ST Base

FF Reputation: 1 NC-Mike Good Standing Member
Just something to add to the thread...

2005 ZX4, 2.0 Duratec. 162,000 miles.

Bought the car about a year ago with 150,000 on the clock and when under the car changing out the horn, I saw the factory airbox was suspended by two bungi cords!

I had already discovered the function gauge was missing and covered over with vinyl tape!

I needed to replace that box and went with a Steeda short ram intake. It installed very easy, (never even needed to unbolt the factory box, just yanked it out) and I won't have to worry about hydro-locking, (like a CAI) and its pretty close to as maintenance free as was the factory box.

I have noticed a bit more kick and the induction noise is palpable and enjoyable. I would highly recommend the Steeda short ram to replace a problematic or worn out factory box.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #264
evileee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88023
What I Drive: 2005 black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 evileee Good Standing Member
I'm running a spyder cai and didn't know I had to cut it myself to size, so its 4 inches longer and barely fits above the splash guard. My car is lowered by 2 inches also. When it rains I just put a nylon over the air filter and it keeps the water out. Just get a knee high nylon from wal mart for 33 cents a put it over the filter to make it water proof. If you aren't sure, just go get a nylon from some chick and try to pour water through it.

18" Bentchi's wearing Nexxan 215-35's
Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #265
NC-Mike
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103054
What I Drive: 2013 Siver Ingot ST Base

FF Reputation: 1 NC-Mike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileee View Post
I'm running a spyder cai and didn't know I had to cut it myself to size, so its 4 inches longer and barely fits above the splash guard. My car is lowered by 2 inches also. When it rains I just put a nylon over the air filter and it keeps the water out. Just get a knee high nylon from wal mart for 33 cents a put it over the filter to make it water proof. If you aren't sure, just go get a nylon from some chick and try to pour water through it.

You are correct and I didn't mean to suggest that running a CAI was wrong. What I should have stated, is the SRI is more of a factory-like and maintenance-freer solution and that was what I was after. I didn't want to remove the fender liner to change a filter, as with the Dorman replacement airbox or have to worry about running over puddles or driving in heavy rain.

When I did get under the car to change out the horn, I also noticed the entire splash shield is missing as well, so I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to order that and get it installed.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #266
Jstewie13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118318
What I Drive: 2014 metallic black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Jstewie13 Good Standing Member
My Focus 14 SE

Does anyone know if a 2012-13 Cold air intake will work on a 14 Ford focus SE 2.0? Can't find anything and no one that ive talked to knows.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #267
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 48 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstewie13 View Post
Does anyone know if a 2012-13 Cold air intake will work on a 14 Ford focus SE 2.0? Can't find anything and no one that ive talked to knows.
Yes, it will.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #268
alogical
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112959
What I Drive: 2009 Brilliant Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 alogical Good Standing Member
looking for a CAI for my 09 5-speed SE. I see that CAI's are vulnerable to hydrolock. Does anyone with the same year have a CAI? I am curious as to what I should get. I am looking at the FSWerks Green Cool-Flo for the Duratec 2.0, which is obviously what I have. Trying to get a more in-depth pros vs cons before I go out and buy something.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #269
soundFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97713
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 soundFocus Good Standing Member
Just putting up a little review... I bought CFM's kit, which I am 90% sure is virtually identical to FSWerk's. I went with the CFM because I live on the East Coast and shipping was cheaper than FSWerk's. Installation as just alright; instructions applied more to the 1st gen Focus and was vague on where to put the hoses and what parts I needed to get them to fit. Otherwise, it sounds better anyway. No real difference in power though throttle response is a bit quicker. MPGs are up about 1 mile consistently and my instant MPG graph regularly shows an extra bar compared to before the kit.

I would not worry about hydrolock. If you're really concerned like me you can just put an Outerwear prefilter on it, which is probably a good idea anyway as it will absorb some dust and hopefully increase the recharge intervals for the filter itself. Otherwise, the bottom cover isolates it will from water, and if you're really concerned there is enough wiggle room that you can angle the lower pipe with the filter more towards the front of the car, further away from the end of the lower cover.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #270
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkampenhout View Post
Hello Gents,

Looking to pick up a CAI next week and read through the thread completely a second time (cause im a noob). Heres my one question.

I see alot of people have gone with the K&N 2nd Gen of the 57 series. Located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...id=525209&rw=1

However, whenever I try to search by car, all I get is a 57i series, located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=57-0595

I wanted to know firstly, will a FIPK fit into a 2007? I have the Street appearance package if that makes a difference.

Secondly, has anyone has experience with the 57i series? Thoughts?
I know Im late, but the FIPK will fit up to 2007. I had one on mine. I would get any other CAI before that one, the MAF area wasnt sized correctly and your car may or may not have problems (lean code) because of it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
cai , cold air intake , duratec intake , intake , k&n , ram air , short ram intake , sri
-->