2013 Focus, Do we have any options at all? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
GrononS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118608
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 GrononS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Radios: 2013 Focus, Do we have any options at all?

Recently I bought a 2013 Focus SE with the 6 speaker setup. The sound is aweful. So, I bought some repleacement speakers that I will put in soon as they arrive. But, I cannot find any options for installing a new head unit while retaining my sync capability. The idatalink maestro is only compatible with the 2011 focus :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to eventually put in a double din or something better. But, I'm not willing to lose sync over it.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by GrononS; 09-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
mrpeaches
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103895
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 mrpeaches Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrononS View Post
Recently I bought a 2013 Focus SE with the 6 speaker setup. The sound is aweful. So, I bought some repleacement speakers that I will put in soon as they arrive. But, I cannot find any options for installing a new head unit while retaining my sync capability. The idatalink maestro is only compatible with the 2011 focus :(

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to eventually put in a double din or something better. But, I'm not willing to lose sync over it.

Thanks,
Brian
I believe what you are looking for are the Metra AX-ADBOX2 coupled with the Metra AX-ADFD02 Wiring Harness. Those seem to be designed to do exactly what you are talking about in terms of retaining sync while replacing the head unit.

However, I have not used these myself, so I can't vouch for their performance or how to install. Just my best guess as to what you'd need.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
TCOC rel1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105626
What I Drive: 2014 ST Ticket Red

Points 605, Level 12
Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 TCOC rel1 Newbie
Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
Check out this thread.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324097

Let us know if you find the Parrot harness for cheap.
*snorkel delete, K&N E-2993, 1 1/4" New Mission Mod* ~2.5" Custom exhaust 12226 MagnaFlow muffler~ ^AMSOIL^ #93 Octane# ^Injected Engineering tune^

@2nd car 10th Gen Ford Lightning 445 HP@
Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
luiskywalker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118588
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE HatchBack

FF Reputation: 1 luiskywalker Good Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
Hi. I want to achieve something similar to you.Actually I also have a 2013 model and I want to change the HU because I do not like it at all and it's so boring. So I'll change it by a Pioneer unit.

I have started to investigate and to change the head unit without losing Sync functionality requires the following:

1. - The Kit Metra 99-5827B.
2. - Since the interface FRST-2 is discontinued and is not longer available is required to use interface ADBOX1 or AX-ADBOX2 in order to retain SYNC functionality (do not know what is the real difference in using one or the other).
3.-The AX-ADF02 harness for use with AX-ADBOX interface.
4.-The ASCW-1 interface for steering wheel controls
5. - Antenna Adapter 40-EU10

Additionally I'm thinking in change the black trim panels which are included in the metra kit by the silver ones in order to match with the interior of my car.

The only "problem" seems to be that when I try to download installation instructions for ASCW-1 2013 Focus models AXXESS site mentions that the AWSC-1 has not been tested in these models yet.
Although I believe that the instructions for 2013 should be the same or very similar to 2012, I'm not sure about that.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
GrononS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118608
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 GrononS Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info guys.
I've decided to start with the speakers and see what I can get out of that.
I replaced the stock ones with Sony XSGT1638F 6.5" and boy what a difference!
The sound is very solid through all frequencies and volumes. I may add a subwoofer later on but for now I'm happy as heck.
The head unit may not be the fanciest but it is more than enough to drive these speakers for now.
And, I can actually feel the base and hear vocals clearly.

FYI, I left the pillar tweeters alone. They are still hooked up and add to the sound nicely. They weren't overpowering to begin with so it's not like I'm getting too many highs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.