Why is the American focus de-contented? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to Ford Focus & General Car Chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotlkn View Post
With the commuting I do, I would love to see the 2.0L Duratorq Diesel Focus here. With the cost of fuel in Europe, people want the most options with the best fuel economy. Here in North America, we have less expensive fuel and larger distances to travel between points.
I think that this is a large factor in causing the compact market to be so much more competitive in Europe. Because fuel isn't as inexpensive as it is here in the US, people can't afford to operate the larger vehicles. If our fuel was hiked to $8+ per gallon, I think that the compact market would be fierce and we would get a lot more options.

Think about how the compact market became more intense as fuel went over $4-5 a gallon. Prior to that, the amenities offered in a compact were minimal at best. Applying the same logic but increasing our fuel cost to $8 a gallon and there would be tons of trucks/SUV's being traded in and the manufacturers would be competing even harder to earn those sales.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
I don't understand why the Focus would be so expensive in North America if Ford offered HID,s and some of the other items mentioned in the OP.
This is something I could have added to the post above. The fact is that it wouldn't be substantially more expensive, but there is currently no 'need' for the manufacturer to offer them. Ford already out-sells the majority of the competition without those offerings so there is no real reason for them to 'need' to offer them in competition. While I don't have actual numbers, I would venture an educated guess that the majority of Focus sales are SE's and not Titaniums. That would show that the majority of Americans don't really have a desire to content the compact car. So few are sold here that there are usually only a few Titaniums are ever on a lot here, but you can't throw an average-sized child without hitting a SE.

Speaking from personal experience, all of my previous 'work/commute' cars have been no-option compacts. I had no desire for amenities because my other vehicle has always been a larger and more optioned-out vehicle for family use. All that I wanted my work car to do was get me to work with a low fuel cost-nothing more. And in all honesty, if I hadn't gotten a divorce I wouldn't be driving a Titanium right now-I would be in a S model.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is just the way it is. Ford is working hard on their global "One Ford" plan and it appears to be successful. Time will tell if America will finally see the quality and features of their European counterparts.

The majority of Americans don't really want compact cars. Look around at all the midsize sedans and crossovers and it becomes really obvious why a company would 'cut-back' their features for compacts.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
jnedohin-macek
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98009
What I Drive: 2007 Black SES Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 jnedohin-macek Good Standing Member
According to the world bank's information, Europeans appear to buy fewer cars than Americans - about 600 cars per 1000 people versus 800 cars per 1000 people. So if a household has one family car versus two family cars, the household can put more money into bells and whistles on the one car.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I'd be happy if ford would offer the 6 sp manual here instead of the old 5 sp. I am sure ford's rationale is that not too many guys want manuals but i bet if the 6sp were offered they'd sell many more manuals than they currently do now w/ the 5 sp. And since the 6 sp is offered in the ST (and the upcoming fiesta ST), it would be easy to make the switch for ford.
It's also more complicated than this, they have to certify every powertrain combination to be emissions compliant and that includes the manual gearbox. With the projected take rate having been less than 10% it didn't make sense to certify the 2.0 L GDI engine with two different manual transmissions.

The Fiesta ST uses a different 6 speed transmission to that of the Focus ST also but that's becasue of the 1.6 L EcoBoost engine.

The Fiesta ST uses the lighter duty Ford B6 6-speed manual transaxle, which is also used in the Focus 1.6L EcoBoost 150-182PS in Europe.

If they didn't have to re-certify the power train combination in the Focus once approved in the Fiesta ST they would still have to run EPA fuel economy testing because people didn't like the loophole that let them test the Fusion hybrid and then use the same powertrain and weight figures for the C-MAX hybrid.

Not sure off hand which gearbox the Fusion 1.6 is using, but it's probably not the MMT6 from the Focus ST based on the power levels.

It would have been nice to see the 1.6 as an intermediate step between the 2.0 L GDI and the 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost engine in the ST, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen at least until the mid cycle refresh if at all.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
If I remember correctly. Ford already had certified the 1.6 EcoBoost and 6 spd manual transmission for the Grand C-Max (7 seater) which was due in USA showrooms October 2011, but was cancelled June 2011.
I could be wrong on the 6spd manual being offered on the Grand C-Max (Fords media for this info has been deleted recently), so I cannot verify the 6 spd manual.

But for sure the 1.6 EB was in the Grand C-Max tech sheet. So I would imagine the only issue that would need to be certified for the Focus would be the EPA testing.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99227
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FX4life Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotlkn View Post
With the commuting I do, I would love to see the 2.0L Duratorq Diesel Focus here. With the cost of fuel in Europe, people want the most options with the best fuel economy. Here in North America, we have less expensive fuel and larger distances to travel between points.
The problem with bringing diesel compact cars over to the US is marketing. Chevy has the diesel Cruze which is only available in a nice high trim level with lots of toys = lots of money. They market it as a premium car which it really is not. If manufacturers want a diesel to succeed, stop marketing it as a premium option. Cross-shopping the diesel with the gas really doesn't put the diesel in favor price wise. The added cost of the diesel plus the added cost of the toys some people don't care for makes it a non-option. Will it succeed? Time will tell. I'd love to own a diesel Focus but not if it's a $32k Titanium model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I don't feel that the MTX75 is "unfortunate". Yes, it could use another cog for economy, but it is a durable, proven transmission that has improved greatly in refinement since the MK1. It's not "revolutionary" either, but it works very well.
I think the 5 speed is a great transmission. In retrospect, there really isn't a whole lot of revolutionizing you can do to a "row your own" trans. Maybe tweak the shifter/clutch feel but that's about it. (though Ford doesn't need to do any tweaking to the feel of the MTX) It's good old simple fun technology on an otherwise fantastic chassis. I was actually referring to the 6 speed "PowerShit" that Ford made all of us consumers horny for when we got our Focus - and will continue to plague our handsome, fun and feature packed Foci until Ford does something about it. Of course, It's livable, but a 6spd manual Focus would be epic. All Ford needs to do is add another cog to the MTX75 and they'll have me back as a repeat customer and they'll have themselves a wonderfully reliable vehicle. I'd have gotten the 5 speed if it was available on a Titanium in late 2011.

2013 Oxford White F-150 FX4 5.0 Supercrew - Loaded - Tint-to-match, Wheel-well liners, 3M Protection, Spray-in bedliner
Old 09-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4life View Post
I think the 5 speed is a great transmission. In retrospect, there really isn't a whole lot of revolutionizing you can do to a "row your own" trans. Maybe tweak the shifter/clutch feel but that's about it (though Ford doesn't need to do any tweaking to the feel of the MTX) It's good old simple fun technology on an otherwise fantastic chassis.
Yes, I'm in total agreement. Ford has been making the MTX75 since 1992, and has been refining it ever since. The 2012 shift feel is sooo much smoother and more refined than the MTX75 in my 2001. But, as you said, while the transmission has served Ford well for MANY years, it is time to move on to 6-speed manuals across the board. I'm sure the MTX75, after a great 20-year-stint will be retired soon.

I can't really blame Ford for not spec'ing a 6-speed manual in the NA Focus, since they were only expecting 7% of customers would buy manuals. It was easier and cheaper to just pull 'ol reliable off the shelf. If they had realized that--in reality, they would be selling many more--maybe they would have made that move...
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
You say we are not talking about Estonia or Hyundai, but you compare USA Focus with Germany Focus price differences.
Because the OP's friend purchased a Focus in Germany. Not a Hyundai in Estonia. Let me repeat that, the vehicle in question is a Focus in Germany, not a Hyundai in Estonia.

You are free, of course, to start a separate thread about Hyundais and/or about Estonia. This thread is about neither of those.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4life View Post
I'd love to own a diesel Focus but not if it's a $32k Titanium model.
I'd rather a wagon than a diesel.

Bookmarks & Social Networks