Homemade Ram-Air Install - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #31
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow, would of never thought this thread would come back up. I took the ram air off the car about a year and a half ago. The metal scoop and all went to the recycle bin. The tubing although it worked was not very robust and ended up tearing at the connectors and would continuosly blow off the scoop. I datalogged a while back with and without the part connected but just the intake air temp sensor, speed, long term fuel trim, short term fuel trim and maf iirc. There were substantial differences in intake temps and maf volume both depended upon speed. Roughly 10% to 20% on intake temps (depending on environmental conditions). Im sorry I dont remember numbers for maf or for ltft but it did throw the numbers off. IIRC the car had a tendency to go slightly rich while sitting still and slightly lean while moving. It did impact fuel mileage some under a mostly controlled observence. Wish I had the numbers on this since the topic came back up. It would be nice to have something tangible to share with everyone on here. I also think the part could have benefited hugely with one of the many respected tuners help. Since there was some interest in this again, I may take a stab at a custom plastic piece or possibly carbon fiber. It would be a while though, my full time job does not afford me the luxury of tinkering very often and Im in the middle of remodeling my house. Since I'm doing most of the work without many subs that eats up much of my free time. I always wondered if radon had an impact on the scoop because of where I mounted it, lol. The things we think of sometimes. Thanks to everyone for being so awesome on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #32
MegaJoltSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94148
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 MegaJoltSVT Good Standing Member
Im in the works of putting one together. I'm using 3 inch rubber flex hose that was made for 800+ degree temps. It will replace the stock SVT scoop and be mounted below bumper.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #33
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
Awesome! If you have the time when you get it done post some pics.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #34
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Not an SVT but I will eventually be doing something similar. Will use a duct to pick up air from the front bumper openings and channel it to a 3" tube which will then transition to the 2.5" normal pipe which should help increase velocity as it reaches the maf. Tubing will be insulated to prevent heat sink from the engine. I have measured the the temps of a sri I had and the tube itself averaged 135℉-140℉ along with the filter element. All just absorbing that engine compartment heat.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."

Bookmarks & Social Networks