Mk3 audio upgrade - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117282
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Armenian22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mk3 audio upgrade

Hi everyone,

Im looking to upgrade the audio in my focus S. Stock speakers are kinda crappy. I just had a few questions, please advise if you can! It would be much appreciated...

1. Anyone know what the wattage is on the stock head unit?

2. Im looking to put these in to replace the door speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS5...S54.html?tp=97

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS6...r-40CS654.html

Anyone know if I will need to have a separate AMP to power them? Or is the stock head unit strong enough?

3. If there are any better speakers for the price please let me know?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Focus-bb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117228
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Focus SE 5 Sp.

FF Reputation: 1 Focus-bb Good Standing Member
1. I'd like to know that too. I've been searching and haven't found it. I would assume something like 10 watts.

2. From what I can tell from this forum, you can power new speakers off the stock HU, but it's not ideal. I would look for very efficient speakers. The thing you look at the "sensitivity" rating. The speakers you list show 90db and that's pretty good. There are some nice Infinity 6.5 coaxials on Amazon for $50 that are even more efficient. Every 3db increase in sensitivity will allow you to use 1/2 as much power for the same volume. So I would look for speakers that are at least a 90db sensitivity rating and better yet, 91, 92 or 93.

I don't know how efficient the stock speakers are so it's hard to know how to compare it. I have the 6 speaker set up (it takes 6.5 inch speakers -- I don't know if yours takes a 5.25" but I see you linked to one set that size) and it sounds good enough that I may just wait to replace the front speakers until I can install new fronts speakers and a small amp at the same time. Not sure yet.

Good luck and let us know what you think if/when you do replace them.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
eastern sierras
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109752
What I Drive: 2013 steling gray

FF Reputation: 1 eastern sierras Good Standing Member
When you say stock system- which system. Is it a 4 speaker, 6 speaker or the Sony 10 speaker. Focus-BB is correct with saying stay in the 90db sensitivity. There are some many brands of speaker out there in a broad price range. Talk to people and ask what they are using, and ask to listen to there system. Certain speaker lend themselves to certain styles of music. I have always looked for a clean sound. I have used speakers from $60.00 a pair to 600.00 a pair. My Focus is running Memphis Audio that were 500.00 a pair. This hole audio thing can get real out of hand.

Good luck

Bookmarks & Social Networks