Extremely Rough Idle and Occasional Stall - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
greghanson93
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118552
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 greghanson93 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Extremely Rough Idle and Occasional Stall

Hey guys,
Brand new to posting on this site (though not new to scavenging for great info). Anyway, I'm having an extremely frustrating rough idle with my 2003 ZX3, 2.3L DOHC Pzev, with about 101k+ miles. Here are some of the symptoms that I'm experiencing:
•Extremely rough and random idle. There have been times when the car drives perfectly fine, but for the most part, it has been performing terribly. The idle shakes the whole car violently, and I can visually see my RPM moving unnaturally below and above 1k.
•Rare, but occasional stall. I've had this happen maybe 4 times, the most recent of which was this morning as I was reversing from a three point turn. After stalling, I can start it up just fine.
•I can't seem to pinpoint when the car will misbehave. It seems to me to be completely random.
•CEL with p0171(system running lean). But it turned itself off, so I don't know.

Some of my research has led me to believe that it could be a PCV problem, of which the only cure is to remove the entire intake mainfold, most easily accomplished by dropping the radiator. A couple other forums pointed me in the direction of plugs (which I changed, to no avail). I just wanted to see if there was any other possible causation before I turn to the PCV resolution. I'm not as mechanically skilled as I wish I was and IM disassemble and reassemble is kind of intimidating :/ . Albeit, I'm also a starving college student, so if I have to incur the labor on my own to spare myself over a half grand in dealership repairs, I won't hesitate to do so! Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by greghanson93; 09-03-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
ArcAngel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118459
What I Drive: 2010 Grey Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 ArcAngel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288055

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190218

hope that helps a lil bit im new to this as well.

good luck

Bookmarks & Social Networks