Tips to Reduce Trunk Vibrations - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
JeffDeez
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118271
What I Drive: 2008 Blue Focus SE 4Door

FF Reputation: 1 JeffDeez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tips to Reduce Trunk Vibrations

Many thanks to numerous members on this incredible forum! I just finished hook'n my kid up with her first bang'n system while keeping the Factory Radio. I researched many threads and the info was Spot-On.

The Focus was a dream to work on, seriously. My previous systems were in a 77 Mustang II-Junk, Lynx, S10, Jimmy, Blazer, & Ranger Pick Up. The Focus was by far the most "user/installer friendly".

Now! After tweaking the system:
Factory Radio
AudioControl LC2i spliced into the rear channels at the B-Pillar
Fusion CA-AM10900 Mono Amp (RMS = 480x1 @ 2 Ohm)
RF HE2 10" DVC 4 Ohm wired Parallel for a 2Ohm Load
Sealed Box sized within factory specs

Again, Once I got it tweaked, it sounds AMAZING!
But Man Does That Trunk Rattle!
- I have already addressed the license plate and I'm happy with it.
- I'm using "Metal HVAC" tape to cover holes and openings under the trunk lid and inside the trunk compartment where I can.
- The tape is also used to run over wire bundle lines to hold it against the body.

I may invest in some "Peel n Seal" (Cheap Dynomat). Should I cover the entire trunk floor & side walls and under the lid as well? Thoughts on Expanding Foam?

- Biggest concern is what's under the carpeted panel under the trunk lid. The Third Brake Light rattles bad but I would have to pop the carpeted panel off to get to it right? Does that in itself induce more rattling when I attempt to pop it back in?

- Do any of you have any trunk specific tricks to assist with the rattles? The rear body panels are vibrating as well. Any advice, tips or tricks are certainly welcome!
Edit: Rubber or paper washers, Loctite, lock washers where appropriate. I've got some sticky sided rubber tape that I might place small amounts in areas that are loose or knocking.

Edit: Trying to remove the rear bumper panel... They went with a Screw & Molly approach to attach the bumper panel on this 08 4-door???
One of them is stripped & I cant get it out even with pulling & pushing, twisting, it just spins. Might yank it out & rig new. Had a Bunch of gravel fall out as I loosened it up. Still trying to remove it so I can at least add rubber washers to the reinstall. Maybe find more once inside. Yeah, haha, the gravel was the problem the whole time right? JK

Last edited by JeffDeez; 09-02-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
JeffDeez
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118271
What I Drive: 2008 Blue Focus SE 4Door

FF Reputation: 1 JeffDeez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The second screw under the rear bumper panel never came off but I was able to pivot the panel down and backwards to reveal the left & right sides just behind the rear tires. I cleaned the inside of the panels on each side then applied 2" wide 1/8" thick foam/rubber sided tape on the panel itself in two places. Right at the wheel well & under the taillight. The foam tape was applied just below the tabs that snap the panel in place. Each strip was about 3" long. When it was time to pop the rear panel back in, it was slightly harder to pop, but the foam rubber tape did exactly what I wanted it to do. It snugged up the panels and eliminated the Rattle at that location.

The "Metal HVAC" tape is holding any loose wire bundles to the inside trunk body as I described earlier. Much needed. The 3 inside plastic panels that snap into the rear of the trunk by the latch were removed and HVAC tape was placed over the connection tabs as well as the corresponding connection holes in the body. This made the pop fitting slightly tighter. I also placed a very small & thin strip of the rubber foam tape on the inside of each side of the middle piece where the left & right pieces overlap & touch.

The tail lights were slightly loose as well. Once pulled from the pop socket, I cleaned the contact area and applied a small & thin rubber foam tape strip at the "V" or the 90 degree elbow that meets up with the point on the body as you install the tail light. This snugged up the fitting quite well.

As I re-installed the rear bumper panel, I shot a dab of silicone around the 4 holes for the mollys & screws and then where the panel makes contact with the bumper. It's not a permanent bond, just a Rattle dampener.

All these changes were extremely inexpensive as it only cost me some time. There is a huge difference from before I started these changes. I was able to increase the Amp's Gain a bit as well as the input from the LC2i since things didn't Rattle as much. But I still want to get that trunk lid carpeted panel off. Who's removed it? Will it pop back on tightly? I'd like to get in there & tape some more wires and tighten up the third brake light.

Bookmarks & Social Networks