My Poor Car, tips? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112674
What I Drive: 2002 Toreador Red Focus Se

FF Reputation: 2 FreeFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Poor Car, tips?

So I was getting on the highway Monday night and they are doing construction on 275. I try to get over and the car next to me doesn't get over. I end up hitting the traffic cones instead of the car. Looking back it was probably better that way. So I hit 2 construction cones and they knock off my passenger side mirror. Where the mirror hit my door I have a scratch about 2 or 2.5 inches long, and it is dented:(... I have a new mirror ordered already and I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to get the dent and scratch to look less noticeable? I hate having imperfections on my car. Thanks

SR #289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
OhioFocusChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101077
What I Drive: 2001 Milano Red Honda Prelude

FF Reputation: 1 OhioFocusChick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sorry that happened to you. If it were my car I'd probably start out by getting an estimate at a body shop. If it would cost too much to get it fixed professionally, I've heard about using dry ice to remove dents, but I have never done it and I have no idea if it works. Maybe research that topic and see what you can find. If nothing else, getting some paint that matches your car to paint the scratch should help improve the appearance some. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Jvs1991
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117489
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red, SE w/ Black pack

FF Reputation: 2 Jvs1991 Good Standing Member
Find a pdr guy to pop the dent if its not too big. For the scratch if its to the metal or primer not much you can do. You can wet sand the scratch to take down the high points and make it more uniform so that way sun doesn't bounce off as much and make it as noticeable. You then can apply some touch up paint to it and then wet sand that down to make it less noticeable. There's a thread on auto geek on how to do it and a video on YouTube by ammo NYC where the guy shows how to do this. I'd find links for you but I'm on my phone and in class.

Got any pics of the damage?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

I have tried to do a color match before on the hood of my car by the light where a shopping cart hit it. i would have been better off just leaving it as is, the paint is brighter and really stands out at certain angles. I don't know if I could put something like dry ice on my car, but I will look into it. I know a couple people who work in body shops and paints so I will see what it would cost, do you have any ideas? I will try to put pictures up, I am not quite sure how to do it.

SR #289
Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

http://m1319.photobucket.com/albumvi...l?o=3&newest=1
http://mob1319.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1377728161
http://mob1319.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1377728169
This is the best I can do.

SR #289
Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFocus View Post
This is the best I can do.
I fixed those links for you, mobile ones werent playing nice

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I can't tell from the pictures, but if the dent is creased then you'll need to see a body shop.

If it isn't creased, you may be able to correct it with a heat gun and some canned air.

Heat up the dent and the area directly around it until it's hot then turn the can upside down and spray around the dent for a few seconds until you see frost appearing on the paint. Wipe clean and you should either see no dent or a much less noticeable dent.

The doors are very soft and susceptible to denting so it should be just as easy to get rid of a dent either on your own or through a body shop.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moving this to the "MK1 Focus" section. Construction on I-275 is always a pain in the ass. I have had to deal with it on the eastside for the past 2-3 years. Now for the dent, you can always call around and get estimates on it, or you can ask around to see who is most recommended to you. But that's just a small dent and can probably be pulled out by Paintless Dent Removal or some other similar company that is local to you.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Tip14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117892
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Tip14 Good Standing Member
Try getting someone that does paint less dent repair to give you an estimate. I just had a guy remove some dents in my quarter panel for $130. It was about 6 dents so I considered it a good deal. He didn't even have to drill anywhere to get to the dents. Seeing as its on the door all you should have to do is remove the panel and go at it. DO NOT use dry ice, as it may pop out the dent, but it will weaken the chemical bonds of the paint causing the area to eventually fade, or break down. The reason why it will effect the paint is because the drastic act of being supper cold then to warm again.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
FreeFocus
Focus Addict

Awesome, thanks for all the tips and tricks. I will keep them in mind.

SR #289

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->