SVT vs. ZETEC headers - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
maxwell_bud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117818
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 maxwell_bud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
SVT vs. ZETEC headers

Ok first off I just want to say I've been looking for weeks now as to what I have to do to convert my ZX3 to use the SVT headers. Looked at lot of threads on here, but I am still a little hazy on a few areas.

Is it even worth all the trouble (and money) to convert to the SVT headers? or would it be just as good to just go ahead and buy some made specifically for the ZX3?

I've already bought the SVT cat-back exhaust from another member on here (not installed yet) so would that even connect to the ZX3 flex pipe? or would I HAVE to go completely SVT?

edit: also if I used a high-flow CAT or ORP instead of the SVT CAT it seems to me that I need some extra piping to make it fit up to the SVT flex pipe. the SVT CAT has that S-shape going up to the flex pipe, whereas a high-flow CAT is just straight out of the headers. any clarification on this?

also I'm really confused about the EGR stuff and tuning and all that. what is the best route to go with this? should I try and find SVT headers with the bung welded in or just disable it completely? I've seen numerous people say they prefer it disabled. I would have to get a tune to do this, correct?

thanks for any questions answered

-Bud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
SVT header is about the best one for our cars. If you want to keep egr then just have a shop weld in the appropriate bung in similar location. If you delete egr then you need block off plate for manifold and a tune to get rid of the check engine light. Since you have SVT catback then you just need SVT header, SVT cat or ORP and SVT flex to then connect to your SVT exhaust. You will need SVT dipstick and power steering line as well. Some people have bent their stock one carefully out of the way but there can be issues with this. CFM also sells a ps relocate kit. Once all done a tune can really help to take advantage of the mods make the car a whole lot more fun to drive.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you already bought an svt exhaust Id go with the svt header as well like said above its the best for are cars. You'll get way better flow with the longtube header design compared to the stock zetec header.

You could connect the svt exhaust to the zetec flex but im pretty sure you have to slot the holes on the svt exhaust to make it fit also I think its ether like an inch or so short or longer i cant remember(someone correct this :))

As for the EGR it really all depends on where you are located, if your area does emissions testing then you will need the bung if not you can get it plugged up to you.
I got an svt header with no bung then I bought the connector from ford (ford part #F1AZ-9F485-A) and got a shop to weld it in 30$ depending on the shop. If you decide to connect make sure you measure where you want them to put the bung. My shop welded the bung with a small angle and I had to bend the egr pipe to make it fit.

YES GET A TUNE AS SOON AS U CAN!!!!!
Personally I would get everything you need before doing this mod, some have done it without getting a tune but you run into the problem of the engine running too lean. I ran mine for about 3 days without a tune was waiting for the tune file from Tom(awesome guy !) and i found it was drinking alot of gas and running alittle off but once the tune went on you felt the difference right away!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
maxwell_bud
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome thanks for the feedback guys. As for the EGR, I live in FL so I don't *need* it, and I'd rather just disable it. Do I disable it when doing the tune? Also what's the best way to get a tune? I see those handheld devices for a few hundred bucks online but I have no idea how to do that. I read somewhere Tom does it for way cheaper?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I can help you with the tuning when your ready

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
maxwell_bud
Focus Enthusiast

awesome, thanks! I'll send you a PM once I am
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It is unfortunate that we live in 2013 now and they don't make or have kits in stock. Back in the golden age of Focus aftermarket a few kits were out there, they were modified SVT headers that came all ready to bolt on, no welding, or scrambling around for parts to match up. I believe even Ford Racing had one for the regular Focus. A las, those times are over.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
maxwell_bud
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah I tried looking for a kit from Ford Racing or Mcnews but had no luck
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
forddorf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31248