c70 rims on mk3 - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Oh no........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
PCA-1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109495
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZTW

FF Reputation: 2 PCA-1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian@TireRack.com View Post
I show the 63.4 listed for a 2002, but I believe he was asking about his 2012 model.
Yep, it is still the same. The Fiesta, new Fusion, and Focus (2000+) all have 63.4 hub bores. The 63.3 hubs came from Volvo's parts bin (along with the 4x108 and 5x108 PCDs) when Ford owned Volvo.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Julian@TireRack.com
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 102247
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 2 Julian@TireRack.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I can admit when I'm wrong. The centering rings that pull back when I select a wheel in my system go down to 63.9, but you are right. I had my tech guys check it out and they came back with just about the same numbers you gave (63.25mm).

Remember to reference Julian/Focus Fanatics in the "previous contacts" field to make sure the forum get's credit!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
SeamusD
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117206
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray S

FF Reputation: 1 SeamusD Good Standing Member
I found a set of those on CL but the seller says they've been bored out to 65mm to fit a “940 Corvette”. Does that seem right? I couldn't find any rings that went to 65. Any recommendations?

I've alway heard that you might get wobble mounting it lug centric. Any opinions?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
PCA-1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusD View Post
I found a set of those on CL but the seller says they've been bored out to 65mm to fit a “940 Corvette”. Does that seem right? I couldn't find any rings that went to 65. Any recommendations?

I've alway heard that you might get wobble mounting it lug centric. Any opinions?
Corvettes have a 5x120 stud pattern IIRC. For the 2012+ Focus, the pattern you need is 5x108.

In regards to the 65mm wheel bore, I have found hub centering rings that are 65.1 to 63.4 on ebay for what that's worth. You can also have rings machined to the specs you need.

Hub centric is always preferred if you can get it. The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels available for the 2012+ Focus all come with the correct 63.4 hub centric bore.

Hub rings are the easy fix for universal bore wheels. Manufacturers can sell more wheels to a wider range of cars utilizing a non-hubcentric bore, thus there are plenty more of these wheels using rings than specific size wheel bores.

Generally speaking, the rings purpose is solely to center the wheel on the hub during installation. While eliminating centering error, the rings do nothing more. Rings do not support the wheel. It is the clamping force of the lugs that holds the mounting pad of the wheel in place.

When aftermarket wheels were mostly all lug centric, installers did not always properly cross stud torque the lugs resulting in an imbalance. Rings came along to address the balance issue, improve productivity, and eliminate a customer having to come back in due to an imbalance. So there is history out there for lug centric mounting to be potentially problematic. As well, rings may degrade over time or become damaged with frequent wheel rotations/swapping.

If having to mount lug centric, the smaller the difference between the hub bore and wheel bore, the easier it is to center when cross torquing the lugs. In the case of a 65.1mm wheel bore fitting a 63.4 wheel bore, the difference is very small so you while you still need to mount lug centric, you would have to try real hard to get it wrong.

Other information on the topic comes from rings being used on race cars. The problems with rings are mainly due to heat causing the rings to "weld" onto the hub. Rings made of plastic are known to develop cracks due to the heat. This is problematic when needing to do a tire change as fast as possible. Also, rings should be fitted to the wheel first and the wheel then placed on the hub. If the ring is placed on the hub first, it could be damaged when setting the wheel onto it.

Hub centric is preferred as it eliminates any of the potential issues with rings or lug centric installation. Unfortunately for the rarely used Focus lug pattern (4x108 for 00-11, 5x108 for 12+), few "off the rack" wheels come hub centric and there is a high likelihood of a dual pattern wheel which is not as aesthetically pleasing due to the extra unused stud holes.

One last thing, using rings does not mean you will automatically, eventually have a problem. It is more the case of either very cheaply made rings or mishandling of rings/installation that results in issues.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
PCA-1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian@TireRack.com View Post
I can admit when I'm wrong. The centering rings that pull back when I select a wheel in my system go down to 63.9, but you are right. I had my tech guys check it out and they came back with just about the same numbers you gave (63.25mm).
Julian, had Tirerack had the correct information, you would have provided it, hence my reference to updating the info on your end. It is in everyone's best interest to have accurate information.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
SeamusD
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117206
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray S

FF Reputation: 1 SeamusD Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCA-1 View Post
Corvettes have a 5x120 stud pattern IIRC. For the 2012+ Focus, the pattern you need is 5x108.

In regards to the 65mm wheel bore, I have found hub centering rings that are 65.1 to 63.4 on ebay for what that's worth. You can also have rings machined to the specs you need.

Hub centric is always preferred if you can get it. The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels available for the 2012+ Focus all come with the correct 63.4 hub centric bore.

Hub rings are the easy fix for universal bore wheels. Manufacturers can sell more wheels to a wider range of cars utilizing a non-hubcentric bore, thus there are plenty more of these wheels using rings than specific size wheel bores.

Generally speaking, the rings purpose is solely to center the wheel on the hub during installation. While eliminating centering error, the rings do nothing more. Rings do not support the wheel. It is the clamping force of the lugs that holds the mounting pad of the wheel in place.

When aftermarket wheels were mostly all lug centric, installers did not always properly cross stud torque the lugs resulting in an imbalance. Rings came along to address the balance issue, improve productivity, and eliminate a customer having to come back in due to an imbalance. So there is history out there for lug centric mounting to be potentially problematic. As well, rings may degrade over time or become damaged with frequent wheel rotations/swapping.

If having to mount lug centric, the smaller the difference between the hub bore and wheel bore, the easier it is to center when cross torquing the lugs. In the case of a 65.1mm wheel bore fitting a 63.4 wheel bore, the difference is very small so you while you still need to mount lug centric, you would have to try real hard to get it wrong.

Other information on the topic comes from rings being used on race cars. The problems with rings are mainly due to heat causing the rings to "weld" onto the hub. Rings made of plastic are known to develop cracks due to the heat. This is problematic when needing to do a tire change as fast as possible. Also, rings should be fitted to the wheel first and the wheel then placed on the hub. If the ring is placed on the hub first, it could be damaged when setting the wheel onto it.

Hub centric is preferred as it eliminates any of the potential issues with rings or lug centric installation. Unfortunately for the rarely used Focus lug pattern (4x108 for 00-11, 5x108 for 12+), few "off the rack" wheels come hub centric and there is a high likelihood of a dual pattern wheel which is not as aesthetically pleasing due to the extra unused stud holes.

One last thing, using rings does not mean you will automatically, eventually have a problem. It is more the case of either very cheaply made rings or mishandling of rings/installation that results in issues.

Thank you so much! This is the best info I've read about this subject on the web.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
PCA-1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you so much! This is the best info I've read about this subject on the web.
You are welcome :).
Old 11-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
sketch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118015
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Ti Hatch 5M

FF Reputation: 1 sketch Good Standing Member
Quote:

By "940 Corvette" I would imagine he meant something like this: http://sketchler.wordpress.com/2010/...lease-be-real/ — a Volvo 940 with an LS1! I imagine C70 wheels would fit better on this than on an actual Vette :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Bookmarks & Social Networks