Opinion on "Like It or Exchange It" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
fcabanski
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108910
What I Drive: 2010, Black Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 fcabanski Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Opinion on "Like It or Exchange It"

I purchased a Ford Focus in January of this year. I made the mistake of not having it inspected prior to purchase. But it was Certified Pre Owned, and the sales people told me I had 48 hours to return it if I wasn't happy. They also gave me, free according to them, a maintenance voucher book that provided free regular maintenance and extras such as first year vehicle inspection. They assured me the dealership near my home (this one was owned by the same people, but is an hour drive away from me) would honor it. It turned out "free" was $295, but the value of the vouchers was far more than the price.

After taking the car home and examining it, I was not happy with it. The mechanic found no problems. But I found many scratches and paint chips I had missed when looking at it at night at the dealer, a chipping steering wheel, a loose battery, squeaking from the front axles, bad windshield wipers (left streaks), and a host of other issues. When I called to let them know I was returning within 48 hours, the dealer GM told me there was no such 48 hour return policy.

I couldn't find it in the paper work, so I accepted all the problems and kept the car.

Last week I tried to use one of the vouchers at the nearby dealership, but they said the vouchers were only good at the issuing dealership. They will not honor the vouchers despite promises, at purchase, to honor them. I paged through the booklet to see all of what they weren't now honoring. There it was, in the back of the booklet, the written "Love it or Exchange It" program the dealer GM told me didn't exist when I tried to use it the day after purchase.

I could have been rid of this car under the "free" for $295 voucher exchange program. But the GM lied, telling me it didn't exist, when I tried to take advantage of it.

Now what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 17,859, Level 85
Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85 Points: 17,859, Level: 85
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)

I'd say it's well past time to ask.
You have a new to you car that when repaired is a good car. Do so and deal with it.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
fcabanski
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108910
What I Drive: 2010, Black Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 fcabanski Good Standing Member
Sure, but I wanted to return it the day after purchase. The dealership lied about the existence of the program. I paid $295 for a "free" maintenance voucher booklet that the dealer will not honor.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,274, Level 75
Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Well your well past 48 hours, You also did buy a USED car, regardless of it being Certified Used, its not going to be perfect.

Fix the issues you have and enjoy the car, the Focus is a really great car, and with the exception on the squealing from the axels you mentioned, all the issues are normal wear and tear stuff, which should be expected when buying used.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 08-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
2 choices, keep it and fix it, or get a lawyer and tell him you wanted to return it, then tell them you waited 8 months just shy of 48 hours to make the decision, just because.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,098, Level 72
Points: 12,098, Level: 72 Points: 12,098, Level: 72 Points: 12,098, Level: 72
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Folks often have a local TV station which does consumer advocacy. Get them involved if you feel you really were lied to. Plenty of small compaies will bend over backwards to avoid a public scandle via a local TV station tell-all.

One point is GET WHATEVER in WRITING.
No matter what nonsense the salesman TELLS you, without it in writing, it is worthless.
So next time anyone makes some offer.. Ask for it in writing. Most of the time they will refuse. (and then you know it was BS too.) Just like fixing stuff when you are buying the car. Do NOT accept the salesman telling you they will fix it, unless it is IN WRITING with the manager signature on it. The salesmans word means NOTHING.
Now if you had the 48 hours IN WRITING, you would not still have the car.
Problem with most 48 hour deals you have to take another car they have on the lot, same price or higher, for them to take back the car. And all of that would be in writing.
The coupon book was not free.. You should have handed it back. Instead of paying $295 for a book of useless coupons you probably will never use.
Then the promise it was good at other dealer. IN WRITING would have been great. Then when they refused you could have gotten your money back.
And them claiming they do not have a 48 hour return, you should also have gotten the dealer to put THAT in writing..
The nwhen you found they do, you have leverage to work with.
As is, all you have is your word against thiers.
So IN WRITING really means they mean it. All the rest is total hot air with zero value.

IMO you got taken. Like plenty of folks do by dealers and salespeople.
Because you are in a hurry or way too trusting.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
reamkeeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15415
What I Drive: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport Cattiva

FF Reputation: 4 reamkeeper Good Standing Member

KKCO
Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

Points 593, Level 11
Points: 593, Level: 11 Points: 593, Level: 11 Points: 593, Level: 11
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think the best thing to do is file a complaint with your Attorney General's office with full details. After you've done that, make small repairs on the car and get it to a place where you feel like it's absolutely yours and you can be happy with it. As others have said, I think the ship has sailed -- it's been over half a year. I don't think you're going to have much of a chance of getting them to take the car back or "do anything" at this point. It's been too long.

It's a life lesson, though. As Elizabeth said, get everything in writing. Inspect everything. Remember that the purchase of a car is first and foremost and business transaction -- even if your salesman is the nicest, genuine person you've ever met.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,453, Level 73
Points: 12,453, Level: 73 Points: 12,453, Level: 73 Points: 12,453, Level: 73
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Filing all this with the AG or any other legal institution won't help one bit. I read over everything before signing it, which is something you should have done to make sure you are getting what you're being told. Once you sign that paperwork that is acknowledgement that you understand what is being presented to you. Does it state anywhere in the paperwork that you have 48 hours to return the vehicle? Does it also state that the "free voucher" is indeed free? Does it state that the "free voucher" is also good at any other dealership? As a consumer it is your responsibility to make sure that all these statements are truth. And as well with buying anything used, always inspect it during times that you can actually see it clearly. You also have the choice to take it to an independent mechanic of your choosing to have it thoroughly inspected.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

Points 366, Level 7
Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Never buy a car (especially a used one) night, during extremely bad weather or in a rush.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.

Bookmarks & Social Networks