The Ford Focus that screamed "Challenge" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Zoologist
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85150
What I Drive: 2001 Navy Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Zoologist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Ford Focus that screamed "Challenge"

Hello!
Starting off, I'm a huge Focus enthusiast from a pretty young age. Last year I got my first Focus when my parents decided to replace their 2005 with a 2012. I inherited the 2005, and well, three weeks later a tree jumped out in front of me (And a creek... and another tree) and my beautiful new car was gone in a flash of what turned out to be a pretty nasty accident.
After spending the year driving this horrible Taurus and saving for a new car, I finally managed to get enough to buy a 2001 ZX3 manual!! This is my favorite model of the Focus and I'm excited to be working with it.
The car, though, well... it needs some work. Pretty much ALL of the wires were rearranged/spliced/missing and nothing electrical worked whatsoever. The old owner also cut one of the springs to make it bounce when you hit bumps. Considering I live in the country, that thing bounces a lot. It has three different sized tires on it, and someone tried to tint the windows, emphasis on TRIED. The car has also been in an accident and the front end was poorly fixed, so nothing quite fits right.
I will say, though, my team (Me and my dad) have made headway. The electrical problems are ALL fixed! The speakers in the car are awesome. I could do without the loud exhaust system, but that's getting fixed soon enough. I have big plans for this car, and even though I'm working on a college students budget, I think eventually I can get it all done. My dad has Mustangs and has helped out a ton while I've been finishing up a summer internship. Once I sell my old car I can move even further on it. I may be on here some asking questions and trying to figure out what in the world I got myself into. I'm looking forward to getting to know people who love Focus's (Foci?) just as much as I do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
NissanAJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49941
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black 2.3L ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 NissanAJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well welcome to the forum! This is only going to make your love for the Focus worse. In a good way : )

Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
SOunds like a project car... I'd put getting matching tires/wheels and fixing that suspension up to the top of your list. Anything safety related should get fixed sooner than later

welcome to the forum
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Zoologist
Focus Rookie

Thanks guys! And yes, it's totally a project car. Matching tires, suspension, and frame check are the next things that are going to happen. Thankfully my dad is enough of a mechanic to have looked it over before I bought it to make sure there was no damage to the car that would end the cars road life. We just got matching wheels for it (Wheels ranged anywhere from 14-16 inches), but I have 3 pretty much bald tires. Honestly, it terrifies me that the old owner used this car as his daily driver.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54911
What I Drive: 2003, Silver, ZX3 2.3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 4 homey55 Good Standing Member
Check the for sale section for good used and sometimes new parts. Look into replacing shocks and springs with the SVT suspension or go a little lower with the FRPP kit, both are under $300 (Tousley Ford will have you covered) and offere a good ride. Rock Auto can be your friend as well for replacement parts.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
Look into replacing shocks and springs with the SVT suspension or go a little lower with the FRPP kit, both are under $300 (Tousley Ford will have you covered) and offere a good ride.
I can vouch for the SVT kit. Get one, you won't regret it.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)

Sometimes building/repairing your ride gives you a much better appreciation for what you have.

Keep us updated on the progress.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Welcome. Glad to see someone saving a focus instead of trashing/junking it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Zoologist
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
Check the for sale section for good used and sometimes new parts. Look into replacing shocks and springs with the SVT suspension or go a little lower with the FRPP kit, both are under $300 (Tousley Ford will have you covered) and offere a good ride. Rock Auto can be your friend as well for replacement parts.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into that. I took it out today for a twenty mile drive and it was really bouncing around. I actually thought the lug nuts came loose on my tires and pulled over to check them, but they were all fairly tight. That would be a great project for the car to get this problem solved and upgrade it for a better ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post

Sometimes building/repairing your ride gives you a much better appreciation for what you have.

Keep us updated on the progress.
Oh I will. I'm sure I'll have a dozen and one questions. Being able to work on cars is a skill that not many people have anymore. It'll be nice to be able to do the work myself and be able to be proud of my new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bile0026 View Post
Welcome. Glad to see someone saving a focus instead of trashing/junking it.
My dad runs a Mustang Rescue (Takes in old junkers and fixes them up) and I guess I did my part in the Focus world as well. Like father, like daughter.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Zoologist
Focus Rookie

While I am thinking about it, does anybody know the best place to go for new airbags for the car? When it was in an accident a few years ago the old airbags covers were just put back in the car, obviously rendering them useless. I know I am lacking correct terminology, but I know it doesn't feel like anything is under the center of steering wheel and you can see where they attempted to put that cover back on the passenger side airbag well. I am asking because I don't want to get ripped off buying something incorrect on eBay or elsewhere due to my lack of knowledge.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->