I may know a fix for some of the DCT issues. Hear me out..... - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #31
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
As I pointed out to you on the edmunds forum, VW has PLENTY of complaints for the DSG. Just check out the complaints section of its wikipedia page. Tens of thousands of recalls in foreign countries, most notably China. The DSG may have an overall lower complaint rate now then the DCT primarily because it's had 10 years to be refined. Ford's dry clutch DCT by contrast just went into production in, what, 2010 in the Fiesta?
I have no problem with its being new, but its amazing how the owners are being treated, especially the memo being used to slough off complaints.

The ONLY ray of hope is the sincere and pro-active CS reps like Crystal who are getting people the help which should have been immediately offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
The reliability record of the VW Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) is taking a hit with a great deal of reports coming in from around the world for not behaving like they should, and dealers refusing to come up with a viable fix.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/05/vw-...-in-japan.html
You make a good point with a grim prognosis, are there any DCT cars with a great rep ?

I know from the car shows its going into a shocking number of makes and models, in one form or another.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
You make a good point with a grim prognosis, are there any DCT cars with a great rep ?
Maybe not. In the latest Road & Track they say the base Audi A7 is better than the S7 because the S7's 7-speed "twin clutch automatic isn't great." Ouch.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
I was thinking further about your post on the learning process and all I can say is it sure didn't learn well when I added AC on to the equation and extra passengers.

But in the cold new England winter, it ran fine, with none of the syptoms we are told are "normal"
It seems that there are many variables in the equation as to how well a DCT operates.

One thought: Have you tried premium fuel? The Focus is designed to run on 87 but with high temps and the A/C on, it may help.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #35
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
The reliability record of the VW Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) is taking a hit with a great deal of reports coming in from around the world for not behaving like they should, and dealers refusing to come up with a viable fix.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/05/vw-...-in-japan.html
European VW (brands VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat) DQ200 DSG owners are livid at VW Europe for not announcing a recall or extended warranty, as they watch the rest of the VW markets get action.

The advise/joke from German VW DSG owners once out of warranty coverage is to save EUR250 per month for 2 years as this is what the repair cost is (EUR6,000.00) every 2 years to replace the DQ200 (dry clutch) DSG transmission.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #36
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
European VW (brands VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat) DQ200 DSG owners are livid at VW Europe for not announcing a recall or extended warranty, as they watch the rest of the VW markets get action.

The advise/joke from German VW DSG owners once out of warranty coverage is to save EUR250 per month for 2 years as this is what the repair cost is (EUR6,000.00) every 2 years to replace the DQ200 (dry clutch) DSG transmission.
I stand very corrected on vw-audi, thanks ghia and kam for this information.

Sadly I think it makes this discussion all the grimmer, as regards anyone owning a dual clutch transmission.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #37
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It seems that there are many variables in the equation as to how well a DCT operates.

One thought: Have you tried premium fuel? The Focus is designed to run on 87 but with high temps and the A/C on, it may help.
Thanks for the suggestion on premium fuel kab, but that would totally invalidate why I and most people bought the car, that being its advertisied ability to have high mileage on regular gas.

Also I traded my focus 2 weeks ago for a comparable offering from another manufacturer and I guess I didn't realize how much that transmission was ruining my days, as I waited for each shudder and shake or indecisive shift.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #38
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion on premium fuel kab, but that would totally invalidate why I and most people bought the car, that being its advertisied ability to have high mileage on regular gas.

Also I traded my focus 2 weeks ago for a comparable offering from another manufacturer and I guess I didn't realize how much that transmission was ruining my days, as I waited for each shudder and shake or indecisive shift.
I agree about the premium - if I wanted to pay 15% more for fuel I would've just gotten a car that runs much more smoothly on regular that gets 15% less fuel economy.

Feel free to tell us what you got and how it compares to the Focus on all counts. I.e. is the new one really comparable in ride, handling, and upper end power?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #39
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
I agree about the premium - if I wanted to pay 15% more for fuel I would've just gotten a car that runs much more smoothly on regular that gets 15% less fuel economy.

Feel free to tell us what you got and how it compares to the Focus on all counts. I.e. is the new one really comparable in ride, handling, and upper end power?
Hi Kam, I'm going to do a big preface here then the car. I loved the focus highly agressive acceleration and fast (though balky) shifts. That being said, on my last road trip to new hampshire, the transmission and all its "normal" symptoms was the last straw. Every minor hill, every turn, shuder and shake.
I read up on the mazda-3 skyactive engine and tranny and immediately thought I'm from Missouri, lets go read hundreds of owner posts BEFORE buying, this time.
Long story short I saw one complaint on the tranny, and all the rest the worst complaint I saw was Ipod compatibility. With due respect to those who care about such a thing, I like to DRIVE, music is very low on my worries list.
here are my observations so far
1. the 5 less horsepower is evident, but not meaningful to me
2. the 6 speed skyactive transmission is very smooth but not as aggressive as the focus. It has been been in use back into 2011 in the mazda-3, perhaps others.
3. high end response, I've only done 85 but it was more than happy to downshift 2 gears but again this does not match the focus agressioveness when its DCT is running right.
4. interior to me is better quality, quieter and more advanced technology.
5. suspension is firm, with little or no body sway, along with less road noise .
6. mileage is identical if not higher than the focus. (my real life experience not some review or EPA estimate)
7. body fit and finish much better imo.
8. no shudders, shakes, indecisive shifting, etc.
9. im sum I traded the very enjoyable aggressive acceleration of the focus for the peace and quiet of the mazda-3. Every mile I drive, I slowly begin to relax and forget the constant cringing of waiting for the next bad shift (normal per ford)

Its hard to describe how much better you feel when you go back to consistent reliability. sadly we have probably all "adapted" to the DCT, but not a good adapt.

I lost ultimate acceleration, I gained peace of mind.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Hi Kam, I'm going to do a big preface here then the car...
Thanks. I agree that's about the best alternative to the Focus out there. I'm surprised at your claim "interior to me is better quality, quieter and more advanced technology." I haven't driven a 3 back to back with my Focus (rented one a few years ago), but I thought this area was the 3's achilles heel.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->