I may know a fix for some of the DCT issues. Hear me out..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 32,567, Level 100
Points: 32,567, Level: 100 Points: 32,567, Level: 100 Points: 32,567, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I may know a fix for some of the DCT issues. Hear me out.....

Let me leave a little input here.

Not sure on the MK3 focus, but my mazda6 has the transmission cooler built into the radiator. The cooler is too small and has low coolant flow for what the trans needs. It's common on all atx mazda 6s.

It will cause hard shifting, jerking during parking, and wineing when extremely hot. In 90 degree weather no matter what, you have to deal with it all day long or short drives.

Over time if nothing is done, it will cause early transmission failure. Which will force trans rebuilding or replacement.

There is a cheap fix well known in mazda community, and it maybe the answer to your DCT problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268

You will also need to get some hose to make the connections.

And here is a how-to for doing it on the mazda6.

http://www.xsadclan.com/files/6/Mazd..._cooler_6s.pdf

The kit comes with almost everything you need for the install. It comes with one hose but you will need two. Which you can order 11/32 x 4.5 hose at your local auto parts store for under 15 bucks. Much cheaper than to replace a transmission.

Here is what the kit includes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Fuess
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112041
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fuess Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Let me leave a little input here.

Not sure on the MK3 focus, but my mazda6 has the transmission cooler built into the radiator. The cooler is too small and has low coolant flow for what the trans needs. It's common on all atx mazda 6s.

It will cause hard shifting, jerking during parking, and wineing when extremely hot. In 90 degree weather no matter what, you have to deal with it all day long or short drives.

Over time if nothing is done, it will cause early transmission failure. Which will force trans rebuilding or replacement.

There is a cheap fix well known in mazda community, and it maybe the answer to your DCT problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70268

You will also need to get some hose to make the connections.

And here is a how-to for doing it on the mazda6.

http://www.xsadclan.com/files/6/Mazd..._cooler_6s.pdf

The kit comes with almost everything you need for the install. It comes with one hose but you will need two. Which you can order 11/32 x 4.5 hose at your local auto parts store for under 15 bucks. Much cheaper than to replace a transmission.

Here is what the kit includes.

This is not an option for DCT equipped cars.They do not have a conventional automatic with tranny lines that can be plumbed into.

The DCT is a sealed unit and doesen't rely on volumes of tranny fluid to keep it cool.

Taking off the under engine shield may help somewhat but it still won't cure a bad design.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
reamkeeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15415
What I Drive: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport Cattiva

FF Reputation: 4 reamkeeper Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuess View Post
This is not an option for DCT equipped cars.They do not have a conventional automatic with tranny lines that can be plumbed into.

The DCT is a sealed unit and doesen't rely on volumes of tranny fluid to keep it cool.

Taking off the under engine shield may help somewhat but it still won't cure a bad design.
I would have to agree, with the Mazda 6's the fluid sounds like its getting too hot, but with the DCT, even if it is getting above its optimal temp there isn't realy a way to cool the fluid even if that was the issue, it would be like trying to put a tranny cooler on a manual transmission car.

KKCO
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
Even though it doesn't apply, I'm glad to see people throwing out ideas. I still need to try dan50's intake idea.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 32,567, Level 100
Points: 32,567, Level: 100 Points: 32,567, Level: 100 Points: 32,567, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well another guy in a seperate thread was talking about his trans over heating. He mentions all the exact symptoms that the mazda goes through.

Which got me thinking, I wonder if the over heating IS the problem the whole time and the other symtoms like grinding ect. Is what happens when nothing is done.

But as you guys mention above. The trans doesn't have a cooler there for you can't put the said cooler on. I didn't realize, and to be honest it now dawns on me how screwed the design really is. Makes me wonder if ford would have simply put on a conventional liquid cooled auto-trans, even if it was double clutch and what ever else. If none of the stupid crap would even be the issue.

Ok hear me out again.....

Has anyone looked into a doing a trans swap from a earlier duratec model, either focus or escape? I'm almost positive there isn't a lot of difference between a mk3 engine and say a '05 escape 4 banger.

It may be a little bit of work and require some ecu reprograming but I still wonder.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Maybe we can install a fan in bell housing? lol

But not until after my warranty expires.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
As I understand it, the current Escape auto is a traditional torque-converter-and-planetary-gear type, and ought to fit. I'd bet $1 that it would require a custom transmission mount and driveshafts. And a wiring harness.

And as you point out, the modules are programmed to talk with the DPS6's TCM. If you're really lucky, you might find a dealership willing to help, but they'll want cubic dollars to do it.

And for what it's worth, I got grinding (and my usual shifting issues) this morning, within 5 minutes of leaving home. It was 65 degrees F outside.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
I've always thought my grinding is worse when its hot outside and after the car has been sitting in traffic in the heat. when it's cold, it seems to behave a lot better.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Well another guy in a seperate thread was talking about his trans over heating. He mentions all the exact symptoms that the mazda goes through.

Which got me thinking, I wonder if the over heating IS the problem the whole time and the other symtoms like grinding ect. Is what happens when nothing is done.
It's highly unlikely. It is virtually impossible to overheat a manual transmission like the DCT. They don't heat through fluid pressures like a traditional hydraulic/planetary automatic. It's plausible that the clutches are overheating in the DCT--especially in low-speed, stop-and-go traffic, but attempting to cool the gear oil will have no effect on clutch temperature.

Trying an oil cooler on the DCT would require some type of pump to circulate the oil through the cooler since the gears are in a non-pressurized oil bath. You would also have to drill and tap holes into the transmission case to fit the cooling lines. It's hardly worth the effort for something that will have no effect.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
According to the service manual, (Transmission section 307-01 "System Operation"), the transmission overheat messages are related to the temperature of the clutch rather than the transmission. The TCM calculates the clutch temp based on a model that includes variables like engine speed, engine torque, measured rotational speeds of the shafts within the transmission, and calculated clutch torque. Exceed the limit and you'll see one of the three "transmission hot" messages.

Since it's a dry clutch, there's not much that we can do about it. The different metals within the clutch unit will have different thermal expansion properties and Ford (or whoever) calculated a temperature beyond which undoubtedly damage will occur. Considering the experience that some have had with the DCT, Ford probably felt they had to put messages on the display for this so that people who've been to the dealer a dozen times wouldn't start telling themselves "That's how it's supposed to work" out of habit.

The gearbox itself only holds less than two liters of fluid, enough to fill the case to the level of the upper fill port. The gearbox is then lubricated by immersion/centrifugal force as the oil is slung within the case by the gears. As there's no real flow, there's nothing for a transmission cooler to really do.

Kudos for trying to think outside the box though. As most of the issues trace back to the clutches, if you came up with a liquid Freon cooling system for the clutch module, I think you'd be in business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.