2012 Focus Sedan ST Conversion - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic
 
mac.mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90409
Location: Wichita, KS
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Posts: 3,651
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Forget the performance for a minute, I would really like to see a Mk3 sedan with an ST front and skirts with the 3D Carbon rear....

Someone please do this to appease me.
__________________
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
mac.mogul is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
 
TheGlassMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69510
Location: De Graff, OH
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Posts: 8,073
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.


I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

And then for fun add a ST front bumper and ST decal on the back instead of SEL.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.


I'm positive I can get a 0-60 around 5 seconds or less(what I'm shooting for).


Maybe I'm shooting for the stars, but hey, it's a thought.
Where have you seen a 12K focus ST? The only used ST I've ever seen was a ST3, 8 thousand miles and they wanted 27k. Which is a rip off considering you can buy new for that price.
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. -Eleanor Roosevelt
TheGlassMaker is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,110
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Where have you seen a 12K focus ST? The only used ST I've ever seen was a ST3, 8 thousand miles and they wanted 27k. Which is a rip off considering you can buy new for that price.
I think they mean $12 k on top of their trade in, but I'm not even sure that you'd still get close to 14k now as the market is pretty saturated at the moment with used n/a MK3s
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic
 
CunFFS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Fan#: 117411
Location: Cancun, Mexico
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

Posts: 1,984
FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And with the DCT reputation, the price of the Focus is dropping like flyes
CunFFS13 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
Gi_Jo_Nathan
Focus Addict
 
Gi_Jo_Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 98931
Location: Upstate, SC
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5Door MTX

Posts: 565
FF Reputation: 3 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sounds like a great dream project...

Just buy an ST.
__________________
Jonathan
12 SE HB MTX, IE Tuned, Snorkel DLT, Green Filter(Gray), custom 2.5" cat-back w/borla, Steeda RSB & Short Shift Bracket, JBR Solid Shifter Bushing's, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts, Ti Heads, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, De-chromed
Gi_Jo_Nathan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 223
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I think they mean $12 k on top of their trade in, but I'm not even sure that you'd still get close to 14k now as the market is pretty saturated at the moment with used n/a MK3s
I've bought about 8 cars from the same ford dealership in the past 3 years. I'm guaranteed at least 14-15k for my trade in by the owner of the dealership.
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 223
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi_Jo_Nathan View Post
Sounds like a great dream project...

Just buy an ST.
How? You've done a lot of the things I want to.
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,110
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
I've bought about 8 cars from the same ford dealership in the past 3 years. I'm guaranteed at least 14-15k for my trade in by the owner of the dealership.
Yeah, knowing the owner might help a little bit, but realistically with the prices of used ones dropping to 16-17k or less they would not really be able to buy yours at that rate and make any money depending on the local market conditions.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Uptcv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 88390
Location: NJ, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Posts: 265
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.


I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

And then for fun add a ST front bumper and ST decal on the back instead of SEL.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.


I'm positive I can get a 0-60 around 5 seconds or less(what I'm shooting for).


Maybe I'm shooting for the stars, but hey, it's a thought.
... Sounds much cheaper to trade it for an Audi turbo Quattro...
Uptcv1 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
redwake
Focus Enthusiast
 
redwake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100718
Location: Visalia, CA
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

Posts: 312
FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is another blue oval in your price range that meets your requirements .....



......





......






But if all your worried about is 0-60.. And want to stay bran loyal... Kick it old school

Mustang and use the money saved to put some suspension and shoes on your focus assuming you haven't already. And there will still be money left over use that to
Pay extra vlf fees.. Pending speeding tickets etc etc.


The moral of the story is there are
More cost effective and practical solutions
__________________
Quote:
MK1 ZTS w/Lentec ATX - More economical than a Prius
2" drop - projectors - boost by vortech - tune by fswerks

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
redwake is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.