Options for drag racing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
XlarXlar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111735
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 2 XlarXlar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Options for drag racing

I always hear about people going to test and tune nights or something similar to see how fast their car goes. I was thinking about doing this with my Focus, mainly to see what 0-60 times I can get but I cannot find any where around where I live that does this. I live near the Charlotte Motor Speedway where they have a four wide drag strip but they haven't had any test and tune nights this year and told me that they are not planning on having anything like that for the foreseeable future.

Are there other places that I should look into in this area? I tried a little Googling but didn't come up with anything other than the Zmax Dragway at the speedway.

Did I ask about this in a reasonable way? i.e. is there some different wording that I should have used to convey what I was trying to ask?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The dragstrip isn't going to give you 0-60 times and you could get a rough estimate just running to 60 with a friend with a stop watch. Generally the MK3 run 7.6 secs to 60mph and a tad under 16 seconds in the 1/4 with the 5 speed.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
My local drag strip used to have nights for ordinary driver cars. You big strip may not due to insurance. Which can be a big issue for the track owner. better to not have amateurs than big lawsuits and no insurance.

Drag racing is very hard on cars. And is usually a reason to refuse warranty.
(though amazingly some seem to get powertrain coverage even though the are amateur racing on a track, as mentioned here on FF, whichsuprised the Heck out of me)..
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

If you do break something at the track it's not like you have to disclose that info to the dealer but you do run the risk of hurting something.

I cant believe that nice 4 lane facility isn't open to local clubs and test and tune nights. I live right in the shadow of Bandimere (one of the best spectator tracks in the country) which runs major events including the Mile high nats and they offer TnT nites almost every week along with club clashes and several street car events every year. Sounds like your local track is doing a disservice to the racing community.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
XlarXlar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111735
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 2 XlarXlar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The dragstrip isn't going to give you 0-60 times and you could get a rough estimate just running to 60 with a friend with a stop watch. Generally the MK3 run 7.6 secs to 60mph and a tad under 16 seconds in the 1/4 with the 5 speed.
That's true, I hadn't thought of that. I have the Torque app so that does a pretty good job although there aren't many places around here where you could safely do 0-60 runs without having too much traffic or breaking the speed limit by 15 mph which I really don't like to do. There's one road that works well but it's ~30 mins away so I haven't wanted to make a special trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
My local drag strip used to have nights for ordinary driver cars. You big strip may not due to insurance. Which can be a big issue for the track owner. better to not have amateurs than big lawsuits and no insurance.

Drag racing is very hard on cars. And is usually a reason to refuse warranty.
(though amazingly some seem to get powertrain coverage even though the are amateur racing on a track, as mentioned here on FF, whichsuprised the Heck out of me)..
That would make sense about the insurance. I also hadn't considered the warranty aspect of things although as you noted it does seem like a lot of people on here have been on the track and then had things replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
If you do break something at the track it's not like you have to disclose that info to the dealer but you do run the risk of hurting something.

I cant believe that nice 4 lane facility isn't open to local clubs and test and tune nights. I live right in the shadow of Bandimere (one of the best spectator tracks in the country) which runs major events including the Mile high nats and they offer TnT nites almost every week along with club clashes and several street car events every year. Sounds like your local track is doing a disservice to the racing community.
It does seem really odd and they are doing a massive disservice to the community. Plus I feel like if they did TnT nights that they would have a large number of people that would take them up on it, even if they did have to buy special insurance or something.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
NJSVTGUY
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46519
What I Drive: 86 GN, 11.1@128, 20 psi

FF Reputation: 8 NJSVTGUY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Maryland maybe an option
Schedule
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=532643
Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Our TnT nites are packed here which kind of sucks since 1-12 years ago you could hit a test n tune and get in 10+ runs now it's more like 3-4.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
blanezx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 764
What I Drive: 03 twi-blue zx3

FF Reputation: 5 blanezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
You aren't that far from Rockingham:

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/schedule/

FR stg 2 cams, UR cam gears, FC 65mm TB, ported 2k manifold, 50lb injectors, FC race header, Bosal flex, Borla catback, Zex, Procharger, Xcal2

Bookmarks & Social Networks