Purchasing a Focus: Odd Timing Question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Purchasing a Focus: Odd Timing Question

Hi,

I'm looking for some insight on a somewhat complex question. I'm currently set on buying a 2013 Focus SE, but not until September (well I need it in September, but I am OK with ordering sooner). I know exactly what features I want, and I'm planning on having the car ordered rather than searching lots.

Being that I am looking to order, but also looking to buy in September, if the 2014 models come out by that time, will I even be able to order a 2013?

On top of that, if I am not able to order a 2013, will dealerships be less willing to drop their prices for the new 2014 models (higher demand)? It would be cool to end up getting a 2014 if they are "better" per se, but not if it's going to cost me a grand or two extra because I decided to wait.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some insight on a somewhat complex question. I'm currently set on buying a 2013 Focus SE, but not until September (well I need it in September, but I am OK with ordering sooner). I know exactly what features I want, and I'm planning on having the car ordered rather than searching lots.

Being that I am looking to order, but also looking to buy in September, if the 2014 models come out by that time, will I even be able to order a 2013?

On top of that, if I am not able to order a 2013, will dealerships be less willing to drop their prices for the new 2014 models (higher demand)? It would be cool to end up getting a 2014 if they are "better" per se, but not if it's going to cost me a grand or two extra because I decided to wait.

Thanks.
If you wait until september you will have to purchase a 2014, or a left over 2013, the order bank for MY 2013 has already closed and is balanced out until the end of production on or around the end of June with production of the 2014 slated for the week of 7/8/13.

It's going to be difficult to predict incentives this far out from September, you would have to order about 1-2 months prior to this to allow for the car to be built and shipped however.

That would also depend on if the dealer has allocation for the specific car you want that isn't already built and on the lot.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If you wait until september you will have to purchase a 2014, or a left over 2013, the order bank for MY 2013 has already closed and is balanced out until the end of production on or around the end of June with production of the 2014 slated for the week of 7/8/13.

It's going to be difficult to predict incentives this far out from September, you would have to order about 1-2 months prior to this to allow for the car to be built and shipped however.

That would also depend on if the dealer has allocation for the specific car you want that isn't already built and on the lot.
OK thanks for the reply. So let me make sure I understand you.

1) If I wait to buy in September I'll have to get a 2014 or existing 2013
2) If I do want to have one made, I'll have to order 1-2mo in advance

What do you mean by "MY order bank"? Are you a dealer or something?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
OK thanks for the reply. So let me make sure I understand you.

1) If I wait to buy in September I'll have to get a 2014 or existing 2013
2) If I do want to have one made, I'll have to order 1-2mo in advance

What do you mean by "MY order bank"? Are you a dealer or something?
No not MY as in me, MY as in model year. According to the fleet information the order dates have passed for the 2013 model year.

I'm not a dealer, I was just trying to help by providing information.

Quote:
Here are the important dates pertaining to the end of 2013 Focus production and the start of the 2014s. Here ya go:

■06/30/2013 - 2013MY Job Last date
■05/21/2013 - 2014MY Order Bank Open Date
■06/13/2013 - 2014MY Scheduling Begins
■07/08/2013 - 2014MY Job #1 Date
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317134

When I ordered my 2012 Focus it took around 5-6 weeks from order to delivery and that was only going a distance of around 10 miles from the plant

It sat in a lot next to the plant for one week after it was built, and it took them an extra week or so before the car was scheduled because they did not have the allocation to get their order in in time.

If you wait until September to order the car you probably would not have it before December.

Typical time before delivery can vary from 4 weeks to as high as 3 or more months depending on if the dealer can order that car or not. Allocation works based on the # of cars a dealer sells, and how many are equipped a certain way. There are also issues with commodities like the wheels and tires at times that can prevent the car from being built.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
No not MY as in me, MY as in model year. According to the fleet information the order dates have passed for the 2013 model year.

I'm not a dealer, I was just trying to help by providing information.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317134

When I ordered my 2012 Focus it took around 5-6 weeks from order to delivery and that was only going a distance of around 10 miles from the plant

It sat in a lot next to the plant for one week after it was built, and it took them an extra week or so before the car was scheduled because they did not have the allocation to get their order in in time.

If you wait until September to order the car you probably would not have it before December.

Typical time before delivery can vary from 4 weeks to as high as 3 or more months depending on if the dealer can order that car or not. Allocation works based on the # of cars a dealer sells, and how many are equipped a certain way. There are also issues with commodities like the wheels and tires at times that can prevent the car from being built.
OK awesome, that's very helpful. I wasn't aware they used a letter-year system. That gives me a lot to think about, so thanks again for the info and the dates and the help! I'll probably contact a dealership at this point. Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
I bought my 2012 in November 2012 from a volume dealer in Atlanta and it was $4,500 off MSRP. They had about a dozen '12s and over a dozen '13s. It's a roll of the dice finding one with the options and color you want, and luckily Atlanta has a lot of volume dealers competing for business. I don't live in Atlanta, but the 2 hour drive was worth it. The Augusta dealers (non-volume dealers) would only knock off $2,000 on their exact same option and year cars.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Camaro_L69 View Post
I bought my 2012 in November 2012 from a volume dealer in Atlanta and it was $4,500 off MSRP. They had about a dozen '12s and over a dozen '13s. It's a roll of the dice finding one with the options and color you want, and luckily Atlanta has a lot of volume dealers competing for business. I don't live in Atlanta, but the 2 hour drive was worth it. The Augusta dealers (non-volume dealers) would only knock off $2,000 on their exact same option and year cars.
Interesting, thanks for the info Camaro, might have to check the Philly dealerships for similar.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
joetraveler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116934
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 2 joetraveler Good Standing Member
Try Fred Beans Ford in Doylestown, Pa.. Very large dealer near Philly with a big selection.Check out their website fredbeans.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks