Turbocharger Kit for 2013 Focus Sedan - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Cadger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109124
What I Drive: 2013 metallic grey se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Cadger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here's some info I've figured out.

The mk2 turbo manifold and downpipe should wit with minor exhaust mods.
And you'll need to have your car 100% custom tuned, no way around it yet.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,311, Level 100
Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Turbo and tune a 12+ and get back to me on that one. Not just talking about how it's so much cheaper to make an old Focus faster in a straight line.

I for one am disappointed you would base your opinion on a car based on watching others not driving their cars very hard in the 90+F weather vs actually driving one for yourself. Having owned both I can say by far and away the extra torque is great and the midrange punch is much more pronounced.

The ST is not a drag racing car, but even stock it should be clocking in the high 14 second range, and the cars tuned up to Cobb stage 3 levels should be in the lower to mid 14s pretty easily with the right weather conditions.

I had just gotten back from a track day the weekend of FF, so I wasn't going to be wrecking the car in that small auto-x pen, or drag racing it, but just because others didn't go flat out to appease your wanderlust doesn't mean the car itself is not a great car.

I for one would advocate not buying an old Zetec as a second car vs going for the ST in the first place, but maybe I'm biased by having driven the N/A MK3, the ST, and at least the N/A Duratec 2.0 in the 08-11 Focus.

For a daily driver the standard MK3 is great, fuel efficient, reasonably peppy, and fun to drive. An ST takes those great attributes and turns the performance up a few notches while remaining civilized.

I've ridden in some modified cars and it gets old after awhile, although they can be more raw, and more fun on the track. However if the op only wanted to have one car they would be better off served with either modifying their 13, or getting an ST.
Just to recap , I own a 2012 Tit , I have a tune on it and love it , I have driven over a dozen ST and HATE the seats , suspension is a little rough for daily use for the Wife , lacking in performance in my opinion , you take off in 3rd gear and go woo?????? what happen is it over LOL at about 4800 , the ZX3 I took to FF was at 13-14psi and ran a 13.7 @ 110 mph , daily driver and will kick the crap out of the ST in a straight line or most anything other then parking lot racing , take both the road alanta , kershaw , VIR , mid ohio and you would be hard pressed to see my tail lights AND for over 10,000 less cost then the ST , Ins less then half the cost , tags and taxes 1/3 the cost of the ST so that being said where is the down side of him keeping his 13 and doing a ZX3 or SVT which in my opinion will out handle as well as the ST ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executable View Post
Will the warranty be voided even if I buy the parts from a Ford dealership and have someone over there to install the parts for me? My dealership only offers Turbocharger parts but not the kit, which is around $1,100 plus an estimate of $700-1500 for labor.
Where are you getting that price from? The turbocharger alone from ford is $1200 and you still need all of the supporting parts, not to mention the compression on the NA is different from the ST, so you need to fix those engine components as well. It is probably closer to 3000 or more in parts alone. Ford won't warranty anything related to the upgrade either.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,885, Level 39
Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39 Points: 3,885, Level: 39
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
where is the down side of him keeping his 13 and doing a ZX3 or SVT which in my opinion will out handle as well as the ST?
You're looking at it from cost-only perspective. "Why buy a new ST when you can buy a ratty old Focus and build it up for less?"

Sure you can spend less money buying and modifying an old car, but you don't get modern build quality or a warranty. Also, you can't just buy an old car and it instantly becomes a performance car. You have to build it - and that takes time. The typical projects I see take a year or more as owners will change their minds several times before making a decision and encounter obstacles along the way. You also need to have room to keep/store/work on that second car... Not everyone has that.

Some people just prefer new cars. As it is, the ST is the absolute - best - choice in its class of vehicle. There are faster cars (Mazdaspeed), but the ST is a total package that does everything well and then some without really sacrificing anything.

So yeah you can save money and have an older, higher-performing end-result, but if it's instant gratification you want with a warranty to back it up, buy the new car.

(And if you don't like the optional seats, don't option them )
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

Points 3,119, Level 34
Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Just to recap , I own a 2012 Tit , I have a tune on it and love it , I have driven over a dozen ST and HATE the seats , suspension is a little rough for daily use for the Wife , lacking in performance in my opinion , you take off in 3rd gear and go woo?????? what happen is it over LOL at about 4800 , the ZX3 I took to FF was at 13-14psi and ran a 13.7 @ 110 mph , daily driver and will kick the crap out of the ST in a straight line or most anything other then parking lot racing , take both the road alanta , kershaw , VIR , mid ohio and you would be hard pressed to see my tail lights AND for over 10,000 less cost then the ST , Ins less then half the cost , tags and taxes 1/3 the cost of the ST so that being said where is the down side of him keeping his 13 and doing a ZX3 or SVT which in my opinion will out handle as well as the ST ?

Tom
[sarcasm] but but but... TOOOOM! Then you'd have to know how to turn a wrench!! [/sarcasm]

But seriously. Have my babies.
- Jody -
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,153, Level 41
Points: 4,153, Level: 41 Points: 4,153, Level: 41 Points: 4,153, Level: 41
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
If those STs were stock then mid 14s is spot on as most of the car rags have gotten 14.4s-14.7s so not bad from the showroom floor but there wasn't 1 ST in the 13s at FF? Seriously? I figured high 13s would be realized with a few breathing mods but maybe the OEM stuff isn't choking things off too much.
My 93 DSM dropped a full half second in the 1/4 with a filter and exhuast so I was expecting to some solid times from a few STs especially if COBB had ran their's.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

Points 715, Level 14
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
So realistically you buy an old focus and put turbo on doing most work except dyno and tune, what are you going to have in it money wise aprox.?
I'm thinking over 10k. Any comments Tom? By the time you mod an old car and keep the new one you could have had the ST modded way past the old car level I"m thinking. Mho but long run I think Ben is right buy an ST even if you wait and get it used, you will have a better base, to work with overall and can still mod it.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executable View Post

Just wondering if anyone has turbocharger kit installed on their '13 Focus SE? If so, is it worth the money for performance? Will the warranty be voided even if I buy the parts from a Ford dealership and have someone over there to install the parts for me? My dealership only offers Turbocharger parts but not the kit, which is around $1,100 plus an estimate of $700-1500 for labor. If the performance is worth it, then I would have to do some serious upgrades with other major parts (i.e. exhaust system, CAI, tuner, etc). If all these are possible at reasonable prices, then I will be keeping the car for as long as I can.
they barely have tunes out for these cars.

You will need a lot more then that and there is no way you will get a turbo for 1500 and have it installed for that. Try more like 10k probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadger View Post
Here's some info I've figured out.

The mk2 turbo manifold and downpipe should wit with minor exhaust mods.
And you'll need to have your car 100% custom tuned, no way around it yet.
You will also need, new injectors, probably a new fuel pump, new oil pump, lines to route the oil to the turbo, Maybe a new radiator and fan, all the requisite sensors, thats just off the top of my head...not to mention a computer from an ST or like you said a full custom tune. Plus the compression that the NA 2.0 has is probably far too high to run any sort of boost that would make decent power.

It would be FAR FAR cheaper and easier to just trade in the sedan and get the ST.

Also Id venture to guess 30+ MPG may be a bit of a challenge with an ST....
Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,322, Level 41
Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41 Points: 4,322, Level: 41
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Plus the compression that the NA 2.0 has is probably far too high to run any sort of boost that would make decent power.

At least with stock engine internals, the FR-S/BRZ got boosted pretty far and they have 12.5:1 compression stock which is higher than the NA, so it's possible, but like you said, 10k is a more realistic price.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
At least with stock engine internals, the FR-S/BRZ got boosted pretty far and they have 12.5:1 compression stock which is higher than the NA, so it's possible, but like you said, 10k is a more realistic price.
Anythings possible, just not ideal maybe. I wouldn't boost a car with that high a compression ratio, but thats just me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.