ST3 Leather Seats Comfort question - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
damianinpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52540
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 damianinpa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST3 Leather Seats Comfort question

All,
I have a Focus SEL cloth now and I thinking about an ST. The base model doesn't have the options I want, so, that leaves the cloth or leather Recaro's as the only option. I drove with the Cloth and found them Very uncomfortable. In fact, after my 10 minute drive, my back actually hurt a little. Maybe I didn't adjust seat properly. Next weekend, I tried the ST with Leather and found them better. But, I'm just not sure since this is a huge purchase and I don't want to be uncomfortable. So, for any ST3 owners, do the seats loosen up?? Any buyers remorse about the seats??
BTW..I'm 5"8, stocky build. They were gripping a little tight when test driving.
On a side note..the packages for this car stink. You shouldn't be forced into Recaro's and I should be able to get MFT/heated mirrors on base. The knob based AC swiches on the base are embarassing. Some of these things should be standard or options. I hate the way Ford and other companies package these cars!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
rmurad38
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114520
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST

FF Reputation: 1 rmurad38 Good Standing Member
I have the ST3 model and yes, I have some buyers remorse over these Recaros. In fact my first post on this forum is asking for someone with a titanium to do a swap. I'm a bit to large for them, that's for certain, probably should have thought a bit harder about going with them. It's a shame though, like so many others, I wanted the goodies that come with the upper packages but not the stupid Recaros. I came from a 2011 V6 Mustang, RIP, and wanted a "spunky" daily driver with normal seats, not a wannabe race car. Anyhow, my car is about 2 weeks old now, I have gotten used to the seats and honestly they don't hurt me, though my longest drive has been about 2 hours. The only thing still challenging is getting in and out of the car and I assume since I sit more on top of the seat than in it, the headroom (I also have a moonroof) leaves a lot to be desired I'm only 6ft but all torso and unless I slouch a bit my head is right up against the headliner. If I ever wanted some day to go to a track, there is no way in hell I could wear a helmet.

rmurad38
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianinpa View Post
All,
I have a Focus SEL cloth now and I thinking about an ST. The base model doesn't have the options I want, so, that leaves the cloth or leather Recaro's as the only option. I drove with the Cloth and found them Very uncomfortable. In fact, after my 10 minute drive, my back actually hurt a little. Maybe I didn't adjust seat properly. Next weekend, I tried the ST with Leather and found them better. But, I'm just not sure since this is a huge purchase and I don't want to be uncomfortable. So, for any ST3 owners, do the seats loosen up?? Any buyers remorse about the seats??
BTW..I'm 5"8, stocky build. They were gripping a little tight when test driving.
On a side note..the packages for this car stink. You shouldn't be forced into Recaro's and I should be able to get MFT/heated mirrors on base. The knob based AC swiches on the base are embarassing. Some of these things should be standard or options. I hate the way Ford and other companies package these cars!
I went from the leather SEL seats to the full leather recaros in my ST. I like them a lot better. Although snug from the bolstering, I find they support my back much better. Im about your height, about 200 lbs, theyve given me no trouble at all. Id say try the full leathers before making a decision. I like them much more than my SEL seats.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I not a small guy and at my skinniest I was a size 34 pants right now I'm size 36 and I still love them and think they are great. My fiancÚ on the other and does not like them and thinks they are too stiff and uncomfortable. Longest drive I have been in them was to Vermont and back to new jersey and it was nothing that crossed my mind twice.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Clearly the seats are not for everyone (build wise).
Unfortunately, even if the driver is happy the passenger may hate them.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
nmd55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38246
What I Drive: 2007 Tungsten Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 nmd55 Good Standing Member
The seats are a love hate relationship.

Currently my biggest issue is the lack of lumbar support. You have to recline the seats quite a bit to take some of the pressure off your lower back
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
nmd55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38246
What I Drive: 2007 Tungsten Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 nmd55 Good Standing Member
I should add I have 11k miles on my st3 and I've made several 7hr plus drives in the car.

Also I'm a big dude too. 6'3 and 235lbs.

I don't have an issue with the seats being narrow, just the lumbar support
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
DCFocusST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115625
What I Drive: 2013 Black ST3

FF Reputation: 1 DCFocusST Good Standing Member
ST3 owner here: The leather Recaro's are in fact more comfortable than the cloth in my opinion. I am 5'7" 220lb. I have to admit I was a little nervous about them when I purchased it. I mean I knew it was fine for daily driving but for road trips 5+ hours??

Well as soon as I got it I did a 5 hour trip to Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the seats. I was worried about my legs being so close together for a long period of time and my back and shoulders as well. Turns out my back was actually more supported and I came to have an appreciation for posture lol. After the 5 hour trip I hopped back in a went for a ride to get groceries and take my girlfriend on an hour long cruise lol. I am making excuses to get back in that damn seat ASAP!!

Hope it helps :)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Took my 2012 Se in for some update,and got to sit ina ST in the showroom.
The leather Recaro in there did not make me happy. The recaro are a little to narrow for my fat arse. (Mainly my thighs are pinched by the sides too much)
Where the SE seats are great.
So that put a damper on my ST lust.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
CurlyQ.Howard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104311
What I Drive: 2013 Focus TBST3

FF Reputation: 1 CurlyQ.Howard Good Standing Member
We bought an ST3 last Tuesday, and the Recaro seats are wonderful. I am in the best physical condition that I can reasonably expect to be and the Recaros are super comfortable and supportive; however, my wife has health issues yet despite this she finds the Recaro seats to be perfect.

Bookmarks & Social Networks