Phantom Transmission Trouble - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
matt2331
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95294
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 matt2331 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Phantom Transmission Trouble

I have a 2012 Focus with 14k miles on it and the automatic 6-speed DCT. I had just finished backing out of a steep driveway and put it in drive, only to discover that I was still rolling backwards; it felt like I was in neutral despite being in drive. Slightly bothered, I went into park, then back into drive and was successfully able to drive away. Not .2 miles later, I stopped at a stop sign and went to pull away and the car would not move, felt like it was stuck in neutral again and no amount of shifting seemed to change it. I turned the car off then back on to discover the check engine light on. I was able to drive home, but gear changes felt poorly timed and VERY HARSH. When I finally got home, curiosity got the better of me and I turned it off then back on again and strangely, everything was fine; I drove around my neighborhood without issue. I am taking it in, but I would like to know if anybody has had a similar experience or can give me some insight into what happened. Thanks FF owners!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2331 View Post
I have a 2012 Focus with 14k miles on it and the automatic 6-speed DCT. I had just finished backing out of a steep driveway and put it in drive, only to discover that I was still rolling backwards; it felt like I was in neutral despite being in drive. Slightly bothered, I went into park, then back into drive and was successfully able to drive away. Not .2 miles later, I stopped at a stop sign and went to pull away and the car would not move, felt like it was stuck in neutral again and no amount of shifting seemed to change it. I turned the car off then back on to discover the check engine light on. I was able to drive home, but gear changes felt poorly timed and VERY HARSH. When I finally got home, curiosity got the better of me and I turned it off then back on again and strangely, everything was fine; I drove around my neighborhood without issue. I am taking it in, but I would like to know if anybody has had a similar experience or can give me some insight into what happened. Thanks FF owners!
Hi matt2331,

Reach out to me via private message so I can look into this for you. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
BillyKeith
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90032
What I Drive: 2010 white suede SE

FF Reputation: 1 BillyKeith Good Standing Member
Good Luck! The 2012 DCT transmission is a nightmare and Ford knows it. We've had lots issues with my wife's 2012 SE hatch's tranny, have taken it in to dealer numerous times, have talked to Ford's "regional" guy and even wrote Ford about the transmission issues. All I get is the standard "this is normal with this transmission" baloney. Pretty soon you'll be hearing the grinding noise in the lower gears if you haven't noticed it yet, that's supposed to be "normal" as well. I feel like we were duped when we bought the 2012 Focus because the dealer made NO mention of any issue with the Focus transmission. At time of purchase, they pushed the extended warranty so hard at us I felt if we did not agree to it, we were not getting out of there with the car. Now we know why! We feel helpless and Ford is of no help.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91996
What I Drive: 2014 White SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 3 mrdeath2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Regardless, I'm happy to see a Ford rep on here lending a hand. hope they can help them out and the OP will post back.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
BillyKeith
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90032
What I Drive: 2010 white suede SE

FF Reputation: 1 BillyKeith Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Regardless, I'm happy to see a Ford rep on here lending a hand. hope they can help them out and the OP will post back.
Regardless? Did you not read my post? What good is it if they won't admit to an obvious transmission problem. I contacted the rep, gave the info requested and all I got was a call from a "regional" Ford representative who gave the standard "it's normal" schpeel. Grinding noise and slippage from a transmission is NOT NORMAL.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Thanks, mrdeath2000! I'm happy to be here, too. :)

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks