2010 ac issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
dckotwicki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50924
What I Drive: 2010 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 dckotwicki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2010 ac issues

I own a 2010 Focus with 63k miles that has just started to have cooling difficulties.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed the ac was not cooling well. Stopped at my local auto repair guy and he looked at it, then charged it. It worked well for about 10 days and today I noticed it is not producing cool air like it was. I am also noticing the compressor engaging what seems like about every 5 seconds on and then off and then on again.

The line seems cold to the touch. I am not an ac guy but it seems that the compressor is cycling too frequently (every 5 seconds).

I guess the next step is to inject a refrigerant dye and see if there is a leak path.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You have a leak. It is cycling because pressures on the suction side are dropping to below 25 psi or so. That keeps the evaporator from collecting ice. You might as well put the dye in there and see if you can locate the leak. Or you can do what I do which is take all the fittings apart and replace all the O-rings. That works most of the time- unless your condenser has taken a rock.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Auntapie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117173
What I Drive: 2012 charcoal grey focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Auntapie Good Standing Member
I cannot afford these problems!

I own a 2012 Ford Focus. I bought it as a single lady needing something reliable that I wouldnt have to worry about on my 100 mile daily commute. I used to love this car but then I started having issues with it. 42000 miles and have already had to have power steering column replaced, both front seat belt retractors replaced, and just last night I get a message on the front screen saying "transmission not in park, put in park" while checking the mail. I placed car in park, message didnt stop dinging. I shut it off and restarted same thing. Shut it off again and called ford service and guess what "bring it in" and the fun thing is they have no loaner cars left. Why is ford service always out of loaner cars? Hmm. So I am starting to think my Focus is a lemon. Googled power assist fault when it went out at ah 37000 and seems quite common issue, course my car was out of warranty on that. How come there is not a recall on the focus? Obviously there are other people who have had trouble. Also I still owe 400 dollars to ford service on the power steering issues before why is that? Ford covered some out of the "kindness of their heart" according to ford service lady but i was responsible for the rest, how come i have to be held accountable for a known focus problem when apparently ford doesnt hold themselves accountablele?? I am considering being done with ford. My whole family is ford fans and they cannot believe what is going on my sister owns a 2013 fusion, mom has a 2000 f150, brother like 5 1994 ford f250s, dad f350 dually and out of that the poorest one of them all ME have problems like this.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Sounds like you have a leak my friend. Get some of the refrigerant with dye put in and then look around with a UV/blacklight and it will light up green when the light hits it. This will tell you where the leak it.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckotwicki View Post
I own a 2010 Focus with 63k miles that has just started to have cooling difficulties...
Hi dckotwicki,

Has your local dealership had the chance to check this out for you? I'm certain they'll be able to make your A/C cool again. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntapie View Post
I own a 2012 Ford Focus. I bought it as a single lady needing something reliable that I wouldnt have to worry about on my 100 mile daily commute. I used to love this car but then I started having issues with it...
Send me a PM with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name), Auntapie. I want to check out some options to assist.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
dckotwicki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50924
What I Drive: 2010 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 dckotwicki Good Standing Member
The latest...
I bought a bottle of dye and injected it into the system.
I also bought some refrigerant with a gauge.
1. I am getting cool air out of the vents ( cool, not cold )
About 10 - 15 degrees warmer than my wife's Edge.
2. I am also observing the pressure on the gage climb to about 45 (psi) while the compressor is engaged, then drop to almost zero when the compressor disengages
* the gage is one that allows you to "adjust" the normal range based upon the outside temp. It was about 65 deg when I checked it. I am not experienced with ac, but it seemed to be charged OK. I am now wondering about the compressor.

AND... Is it normal for the compressor to cycle so frequently???

Bookmarks & Social Networks