2002 Zetec - surge/miss problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
dpstark2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117150
What I Drive: 2002 silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 dpstark2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 Zetec - surge/miss problem

Hi,

This is my first post here. I've done a lot of reading here, but I'm stumped. Let me tell you this first- I know old cars- carburetors, flat tappet cams, and 3 speed autos- not new stuff- so I'm doing my best here.

My 2002 SE (Zetec) has been well maintained it's whole life. I have 171k miles on it. For the past few years, it would occasionally "miss." It felt like the motor lost power very briefly, then recovered. I mean- like 1-2 cylinders miss, not an entire round. This got worse a year ago. It got to feel like it would actually kick back on itself. Infrequently, no repeatable pattern. I changed plugs, wires, and the coil just as a matter of curiosity. No change.

Yesterday, it decided to get so bad it's hard to drive. It feels like the timing is so advanced it kicks back, but there is no audible knock, no pinging like I'd expect. No DTCs are thrown. And here's the weird part- the speedometer jumps around when this happens now. It can happen at any time, but it's easiest to create under load while accelerating. The speedo will kind of stall out, then jump up and bounce around, or just plain read high for a while. I put the dash in diagnostic mode, and the LCD does the same. The tachometer display does not seem to indicate any issues. At one point, it even fired out the muffler (never heard that before).

Figuring this might be the ECM, I checked my grounds in the engine bay. They seem fine. No issues with plug wires. My only thoughts are

1. Vacuum leak or PCV failure
2. CPS failure?
3. Can the VSS cause this? Does the ECM adjust fueling/timing based on speed?
4. ECM failing.
5. Fuel injectors failing (never replaced)
6. EGR? I don't know. Maybe.

Nothing really explains the whole deal, and whatever happened got dramatically worse in literally 1.5 hours of sitting after my commute. By the way, this is my commuter and I really need to fix it.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the existing great information too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,537, Level 100
Points: 50,537, Level: 100 Points: 50,537, Level: 100 Points: 50,537, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Need to barrow a SCT xcal and do some datalogging , could be TPS , front o2 , fuel psi etc etc

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
dpstark2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117150
What I Drive: 2002 silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 dpstark2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After driving around with a scanner for a while, I saw nothing out of the ordinary. The only clue I got was that RPMs did in fact waffle when this misfire seemed to happen. It also looked like the ECU really thought it was seeing these weird VSS readings.

I disconnected the VSS and drove the car. No weird VSS readings, so I assumed this meant it was not some sort of electrical shorting/bus issue. So, I was back to ignition issues.

It turned out to be the coil. The epoxy was cracked, and changing the coil had me back on the road quickly. I did the plugs and wires first, because I thought that was more likely. I can only assume that the coil arcing was getting to the VSS or being picked up as EMI.

Hopefully this helps someone else too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.