Buying a New Car -- Taking Delivery - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Good tip, Crazy Urn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Daylight, Street Light, and extra eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
One more thought... try if possible to inspect the car in full sunshine. There may be paint defects or scratches or other minor issues that you might miss if you inspect it at night or on a cloudy day. ...
A body repair done on a car I once had looked pretty good in sunlight, but the match on the paint was way off under street lights at night. I guess the thing to do is check it both ways. Probably in bright sun before taking delivery and at night as soon as possible after that. It's unreasonable to expect a perfect paint job on a car in the Focus' price range, but if any panels have been repaired and repainted, that's different. Sometimes mismatched paint on different panels is also easier to see in a photograph than with the naked eye.

EDIT: I found a post in another thread that explains that this effect is called "metamerism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
... when I went with my sister to see her car (a day before delivery) I was the only one who noticed the antenna was missing. She and the salesperson (even the car porters/movers) failed to see it
It's probably a good idea to have a friend come along, especially if they're good at noticing details like that. This is the kind of thing a checklist can help with, too.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 08-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
I should have had a friend with me when I took delivery... It was raining, and dark, and nasty out.

Annnnd I got burned. The detailer that prepped my car burned the rubber surround of the passenger rear quarter window. Looks almost like someone took an SOS pad to the rubber, but it's obviously carelessness with the buffing wheel. :-\ Oh well. It's not so bad that it needs to be replaced, just noticeable to me.
- Jody -
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
I took Arco's advice and made sure to take some video and photos of my car before I took delivery, and also took a short test drive. I didn't find any issues at all and really had no problems.

The dealership was also pretty straightforward and transparent about financing/pricing/extended service plans/etc.

My overall experience was very smooth, and at least so far, I haven't had to use any of the contingency planning from the thread but it did help a lot to keep the advice in mind.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
I took Arco's advice and made sure to take some video and photos of my car before I took delivery, and also took a short test drive. I didn't find any issues at all and really had no problems.

The dealership was also pretty straightforward and transparent about financing/pricing/extended service plans/etc.

My overall experience was very smooth, and at least so far, I haven't had to use any of the contingency planning from the thread but it did help a lot to keep the advice in mind.
I'm glad that you had a great purchasing experience, jcw122! If you'd like me to document any feedback about the process, send me a PM with your name, VIN, daytime phone number, dealership name/location, and any details you'd like me to include.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
My issue aside, I found the purchasing process an ease.

I arrived at the dealership and my salesman walked my boyfriend and I around the car. He offered to bring the car in the sunshine to show off the color (it was in their prep area as it was warm as all get-up outside). I ordered the whole she-bang with the Auto Armor package. Because of this, there were very small spots that needed to be wiped off that I noticed. It was a breeze for them to wipe it off. However, the chrome underneath the rear driver's side had a small scratch in it, perhaps half an inch. It would be unnoticeable to most, but remember: this is your brand new car. My salesman immediately offered to place the order for a new chrome piece. It's on order and they'll install it when it comes in (will take 5-10 minutes). If your salesperson isn't immediately willing to make you happy, you know that you may have an issue.

The finance guy did try to pressure me a bit into buying the extended warranty and, for a moment, I considered it ($695 for 60,000 miles or 6 years), but then I declined. He didn't press any further and got me an excellent rate on my loan.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
... I didn't find any issues at all and really had no problems.
That's great to hear. Preparing for the worst is kind of like having to pay an insurance premium. It would be nice to not have to do it, but then not needing to make a claim on it is a relief. I sure hope that for the next car I buy, all of this preparation turns out to be unnecessary.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Don't forget the headliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK31 View Post
I clean new Lincolns pretty much every day (it's my job) and Ford has this nasty habit of getting the headliners dirty. So to add on to the advice, check and double check the headliner to make sure there are no stains. Just because a car is "new" doesn't mean it is perfect. ...
Thanks for the tips, especially with your expereince seeing this process from the inside. I would not have thought to check the headliner, and I have tended to assume that I did not have to be as alert when buying a new car as I usually am when buying a used car. I'm also sure that not everyone who does the same job you do is as thorough as you probably are, so we have to find these things for ourselves sometimes.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

The "super" pre-delivery test drive

In another thread, "Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > 2014 Orders: The Wait Begins!", mr_cassandra gave some advice that is appropriate here, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I'd recommend that anyone considering the automatic ask the dealer to take it for a weekend. Use it in heavy traffic, highway, extra passengers and with AC on. Take heed of all the problems you can read about here on the 2011,2012 and 2013 focus with the dual clutch transmission.

If you spend a weekend and don't see those problems, let everyone know here , they may want to trade up and/or ask for whatever the improved transmission is.

Also, do yourself a favor and drive some other DCT car like the VW GTI so you have some real world experience to compare to.
Given the bad experiences some owners (including mr_cassandra) have had over the past two years with the Dual dry Clutch Transmission (DCT) that Ford puts in the Mk3 Focus and calls an "automatic", it does not seem unreasonable to require a longer and more thorough test drive -- in the specific car you intend to buy -- than would normally be appropriate before signing a contract. This is probably something that a buyer would want to inform the salesperson about in advance, and not wait until the day of delivery to discuss it.

With or without a DCT, I'll be adding the part about driving in heavy traffic with extra passengers and the air conditioning on to my checklist. I'm not sure how practical it will be to accomplish that, but seems to be worth a try. One of the few problems I had with one of the Toyotas I have owned was eratic operation of the automatic climate control that was nearly impossible to reproduce at will. That experience already had me thinking about testing every possible setting for the climate control. (I need to start putting my checklist in writing -- it is getting way too long to keep in my head. Is this getting to be too OCD?)

It also sounds like good advice to have a basis for comparison, but I think that comparing different designs and brands (VW's wet clutch vs Ford's dry clutch) should come way earlier in the process -- like when choosing which car to buy, rather than when taking delivery of one you've already ordered. (I'm still thinking about renting a Focus with a DCT for at least a few days, even though I've pretty much decided I'll be happier and more confident buying one with a manual transmission. It is better to base that kind of decision on first hand experience than on hearsay.)

After two years selling them in North America, Ford should have made enough improvements in the parts (mechanical, hardware, and software) and the manufacturing process that produce the DCT to make the odds of getting a bad one much lower than they used to be. Unfortunately, we have not seen any proof that that really is the case. It is also the same thing I was thinking over a year ago, counting the 2011 model year before the Mk3 Focus went on sale here in the U.S. and Canada.

Even if the odds have become lower, there have still been buyers in 2013 who have ended up with DCTs that have serious problems. For the person it happens to, it is probably no comfort to know that they are one in 100,000 rather than one in 10,000. We don't even know what those numbers are for real, and Ford is not likely to share them with us.

I will probably regret raising that subject here. There are already (too many) other threads disccussing problems with the DCT. Please limit any further discussion about them in this thread to the process of taking delivery of a new car, and the preparation for doing that. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Why this matters ...

I just read a good example of why it pays to be really thorough in checking over a new car before taking delivery. For all the times there are no problems it will feel like a waste of time, but occasionally it can prevent real headaches.

Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > New Car less than a week found a potential issue

Bookmarks & Social Networks