my rear tires lean more than that tower in piza:) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Vohaul
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114465
What I Drive: 2001 dark blue wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Vohaul Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
my rear tires lean more than that tower in piza:)

my rear tires..(01 focus wagon) both lean in at the top.enough so you can see it and enough to cause considerable wear on the inside of the tires....yes, i can keep replacing tires, but that doesn't really help long term...

I jacked it up today, and tried to move the tire, thinking bearing etc. nope...tight as anything...also checked springs...nothing broken, as suggested in other posts....so pulled the tire off, and while it is rusty....theres nothing that seems broken or obviously bent....

i snapped a few pictures to see if anyone else can see what could be causing the issue.....couple quick notes...is the upper bar supposed to be curved that much.(it seems pretty similar on the other side and.yes it is rusty.....

anyway....anyone have any ideas.....i really dont want to have to throw used tires at it again just so i can continue my 45 min each way commute...

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Its probably the camber/control arm on your wagon thats at fault. If you can notice the lean, you are probably close to or past -3 and will wear the tires faster. When was the last time you had an alignment? Having your toe out of spec will eat rear wheels as well

See this thread for some more details:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4792454
Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
new LCA's & coil springs fixed my rear camber problems
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Bushing sag in all the arms do it, you can't expect rubber bushings to avoid that side load forever. ALL rear IRS cars built like that do it, you should look close at Mercedes, VW, and Beemers, Corvettes do it too.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Vohaul
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Its probably the camber/control arm on your wagon thats at fault. If you can notice the lean, you are probably close to or past -3 and will wear the tires faster. When was the last time you had an alignment? Having your toe out of spec will eat rear wheels as well

See this thread for some more details:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4792454
ya, so i definetly have the ecessive negative camber problem....
if i got to a wrecker and grab a set of these upper control arms from a 2004 or something...i wonder if that would fix the issue....
(the car is rusty as anything and isnt really worth putting a lot of money into...)

i was kind of afraid to take it to get aligned as im worried theyd find a lot of other crap wrong:)

or do they sell bushing kits...?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Vohaul
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohaul View Post
ya, so i definetly have the ecessive negative camber problem....
if i got to a wrecker and grab a set of these upper control arms from a 2004 or something...i wonder if that would fix the issue....
(the car is rusty as anything and isnt really worth putting a lot of money into...)

i was kind of afraid to take it to get aligned as im worried theyd find a lot of other crap wrong:)

or do they sell bushing kits...?
so after doing a ton of searching, and reading ...i see that i can get bolts that will help adjust my camber....and that this is a huge focus issue....

My question is this....will it help me to grab a set of newer 2005 or so upper camber arms from a wrecker and replace mine at the same time as the bolts (which i just ordered off ebay)..?

Thanks

Paul
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to "Brakes, Suspension & Chassis" for more looks.

S.R. #275
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Vohaul
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohaul View Post
so after doing a ton of searching, and reading ...i see that i can get bolts that will help adjust my camber....and that this is a huge focus issue....

My question is this....will it help me to grab a set of newer 2005 or so upper camber arms from a wrecker and replace mine at the same time as the bolts (which i just ordered off ebay)..?

Thanks

Paul
anyone?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
bbcobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88400
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Competition Orange EAP ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bbcobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
first get an alignment to see what it actually is. you can have a good amount of negative camber and still get good tire wear if your toe is set as close to 0 as they will set it. Mine has over 1 degree neg. camber and this is easily seen when you look at the car from the rear. but thanks to a good alignment shop, I now have great tire wear. improper toe causes more wear than camber does.

other car: 2004 SVT Cobra Coupe, Screaming Yellow, 2.76/2lb lower...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->