Narrowed Tire Choices Down to Two. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
03SCSVT
Got Bewst?

Fan#: 89182
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow JRSC SVT

FF Reputation: 5 03SCSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Narrowed Tire Choices Down to Two.

So I have been looking for tires for my bimmer, a 2006 325i sedan, and although it's not a focus, this forum has given decent recommendations in the past so I thought id ask again.

Narrowed my choices down to two tires. Either a Continental Extreme Contact DW or a Hankook Ventus V12. I'll be getting a 225/40-18 for the front to put onto a 18x8.5 wheel and a 255/35-18 to put on a 18x9.5 wheel for the rear. Either one can be had for at or under $1000 installed at the local tire shop.

Anyone had personal experience with either of these tires on their cars? Although I know I can't ask about my potential life, what kind of life did you get from your tires? Did anyone actually run them staggered?

If these are not the tires I should get, what tires would you recommend looking into? Open to just about anything as long as they are a fairly high performance tire. Don't need to have one that's good in the snow or ice as we have that for like a week here, but I do need it to be half decent in the wet at least for the majority of it's life. I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT on it now and although the car comes with runflats, I don't think i'll put them back on with the new wheels because I don't feel comfortable stretching a runflat, and on top of that, they're ungodly expensive (almost $300 a tire without instillation).

So.... Anyone?

Hatch Nation #12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 sounds very promising, although not going to be cheap. I had Pilot Exaltos on my '05 ST, and liked them a lot. I am a firm believer in buying the best tires one can afford, as there is no more important part of your car.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Bridgestone re760 will kill either of those two tires
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
03SCSVT
Got Bewst?

The only Michelin Pilot's there are in the sizes I need are the PS2 ZP's and they are prices well out of my budget. They are also BMW Runflats. In the sizes I need, theyre almost $1400 just tires, not including fees and instillation. I needed to be as close to $1000 out the door as possible, which means like $800 for tires. $1000 is my budget, but for a good set of tires I may be able to go close to $1200 but NOT over that.

Looks like tire track has pilot super sports but they are definitely on the upper end of my budget at $906 for the tires alone. Are they worth, in your opinion, pushing the budget with the extra $300 over the other two tires mentioned?
Hatch Nation #12
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I don't know enough about the PS2 ZPs to recommend spending the extra money over the DWs. I had DWSs on my ST (205/45/17) and really liked them as a three season (for my area) tire. They were great in the wet, and relatively quiet. My only complaint was relatively short tread life, down to the wear bars in less than 30K miles. I have read that DWs have similarly short life, and that the PS2s are no better. However, sticky means soft, and thus, no 60K tread life guaranty.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
03SCSVT
Got Bewst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
I don't know enough about the PS2 ZPs to recommend spending the extra money over the DWs. I had DWSs on my ST (205/45/17) and really liked them as a three season (for my area) tire. They were great in the wet, and relatively quiet. My only complaint was relatively short tread life, down to the wear bars in less than 30K miles. I have read that DWs have similarly short life, and that the PS2s are no better. However, sticky means soft, and thus, no 60K tread life guaranty.
I don't anticipate much mileage as I am going to be running a staggered set up. I figure if I get between 20-30K mostly highway miles out of the rear I will be lucky. I did a little research and the DWS's are more so a all-season tire compared to the DW which is a "max performance" tire. That to me means that it will have a little less of a lifespan than the DWS.

Looks like I can get the SuperSports for considerably less than the PS2s. Are the SuperSports similar to the pilots which you have had experience with in the past?
Hatch Nation #12
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I run the Continental DWS on my SVT, they are great tires and would deff recomend them. The tread life has been great, they also perform very well on the street/track. Great traction in the rain and snow as well. You can't go wrong with the Continental DW/DWS, even on your BMW... Choose wisely my friend.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav-O-SVT View Post
I run the Continental DWS on my SVT, they are great tires and would deff recomend them. The tread life has been great, they also perform very well on the street/track. Great traction in the rain and snow as well. You can't go wrong with the Continental DW/DWS, even on your BMW... Choose wisely my friend.
Definitely agree with the DWS Continentals. Also I believe BMW has used the DW in the past for OEM tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using FF Mobile
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
03SCSVT
Got Bewst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Definitely agree with the DWS Continentals. Also I believe BMW has used the DW in the past for OEM tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using FF Mobile
Correct, they offer a runflat version of them iirc at the BMW dealer but theyre almost $400 per tire at the dealer. Runflats are nice but I have AAA, and they are usually almost 2x the cost of the non runflat, which is why I will likely not be putting a runflat on this time!

Thanks for all the help guys! Over on the Bimmer forum they seemed to recommend the same two tires, so I guess either the DW's or the Pilot Super Sports will be the tire I choose! Guess now it's time to call the tire shop and see which one is in stock I guess!

Going to be stretching a 225 on a 8.5 and a 255 on a 9.5 which isn't a bad stretch and is still acceptable as per the manufacturer but I am excited. Getting a set of gunmetal VMR V710s in 18-8.5 and 18-9.5 in the next couple months with one of those two wheels. Just a 1-2" drop and exhaust away then from being the DD I always wanted!
Hatch Nation #12

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->