195/55 for 205/50 SES 16 inch wheel - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
LarryI
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116103
What I Drive: 2006, Silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LarryI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
195/55 for 205/50 SES 16 inch wheel

When it came to getting new tires for my Focus, I wanted to try a different tire size for my 2006 ZX3 SES, with 16 inch wheels.
The factory calls for 205/50, but the wheel well looks too big for this wheel size.
I wanted to try 195/55 to fill out the space a little, and the recommendation is to increase the diameter less than 3 percent; the new size increases it by about 1.5 percent.

Dealers won't put on different size tires than what the car came with, and most places, like WalMart, won't either.
I ended up ordering 195/55 size tires from Tire Rack, had NTB install the tires, because they were one of only shops that offered to put on a different size.
They were very nice and did not give me any trouble about it.
Looking at the before and after, it's hard to tell the difference, except that the slightly taller tires fill out the wheel more, and make the car look better.
It really looks like these are the tires that should have been on the car when it came from the dealer.
The car will drive slightly faster than what the speedometer reads.
And the steering is a little easier to turn.
Other than that, there is really no difference in driving the car.

I was told all kinds of horror stories about how this will destroy the car,
mess up the transmission, etc.
Some of them came from people who should know better.
But I knew the car would look better with the different size tires.
And I was right.
I think it just shows you that when people tell you stories about how changing your car will destroy it, listen to what they say.
But be sure you have a salt container nearby.

Last edited by LarryI; 06-25-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: extra [Font] not deleted, changing wording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 44 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Moved to: Wheels and Tires
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryI View Post
When it came to getting new tires for my Focus, I wanted to try a different tire size for my 2006 ZX3 SES, with 16 inch wheels.
The factory calls for 205/50, but the wheel well looks too big for this wheel size.
I wanted to try 195/55 to fill out the space a little, and the recommendation is to increase the diameter less than 3 percent; the new size increases it by about 1.5 percent.

Dealers won't put on different size tires than what the car came with, and most places, like WalMart, won't either.
I ended up ordering 195/55 size tires from Tire Rack, had NTB install the tires, because they were one of only shops that offered to put on a different size.
They were very nice and did not give me any trouble about it.
Looking at the before and after, it's hard to tell the difference, except that the slightly taller tires fill out the wheel more, and make the car look better.
It really looks like these are the tires that should have been on the car when it came from the dealer.
The car will drive slightly faster than what the speedometer reads.
And the steering is a little easier to turn.
Other than that, there is really no difference in driving the car.

I was told all kinds of horror stories about how this will destroy the car,
mess up the transmission, etc.
Some of them came from people who should know better.
But I knew the car would look better with the different size tires.
And I was right.
I think it just shows you that when people tell you stories about how changing your car will destroy it, listen to what they say.
But be sure you have a salt container nearby.
205/50/16 and 195/55/16 are the same height tire.

The only difference is the width.

Let me explain. The 50 and 55 represent the % of tire height to the width of the tire. So for a 205/50/16 so 50% of the width of the tire is the height. What you did is went down in width by one point and went up in height by one point. It all equals the same height. Don't believe me? Go back to tirerack hit specs for a size 205/50/16 and look at over all diameter. Then compare that to a 195/55/16. it's .1 of an inch off.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
I went with 205/55/16 because I use my car for work and was bending wheels a lot from potholes. I wanted a taller tire to give me more cushion between the wheel. Turns out I still bend wheels.... LOL oh well. They do rub a bit at full turn going up and down curbs, but only slightly. My speedometer seems to more accurate now, according to g.p.s

I do agree that stock tires look small in the Focus wheel wells.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
I went with 205/55/16 because I use my car for work and was bending wheels a lot from potholes. I wanted a taller tire to give me more cushion between the wheel. Turns out I still bend wheels.... LOL oh well. They do rub a bit at full turn going up and down curbs, but only slightly. My speedometer seems to more accurate now, according to g.p.s

I do agree that stock tires look small in the Focus wheel wells.
Yeah, 5% more height won't do much for pot holes. But it will use more gas in the city however it will save you on the highway.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
Yep, yep and yep
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
plex07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46577
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 plex07st Good Standing Member
I had used 195/55 on my ST for winter tires for a few seasons. Worked just fine.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
plex07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46577
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 plex07st Good Standing Member
I forgot to mention, the 195/55-16 will hardly look any different than the 205/50-16 on your wheels, only skinnier (which is good in snow). 205/55-16 will look better. They will fill in the wheel wells better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks