Need Advice on Focus Purchase ASAP - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114174
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 outdoorsman704 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need Advice on Focus Purchase ASAP

Well I've got a friend of a friend who buys repo vehicles and he gets them for really cheap. He's got a early model ford focus and I want to say it is a 2000-2004. (The 2000-2004 have the black stripe on the doors right?) It is a ZX3, silver. Here's the deal. They bought it and made a couple adjustments to it, he said he had to replace some sensors or something like that. Then my friend took it out for the weekend to drive it and make sure everything checked out. While he was driving it the engine blew up, apparently the original owners weren't too happy about having it repossessed and they decided to put sugar in the tank. So now he said he can get a brand new engine at a discounted price and I'd be good to go. My question is, what engines could be put in there, cuz I'd love to put a d2.3L in, or if there is a better engine to put in go ahead and give some suggestions! Also, looking over what has happened to it, should I stay away from purchasing it? I do need a car buy the end of august for school but can only buy one so I don't want to make a bad decision. One last thing, are the 2000-2004 models significantly different from the 2005-2007 facelifts? Is there any reason I would want the 2005-2007? For those who read this novel and give advice thanks so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat".
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We need to know the exact year- is it that 2003 listed in your profile?

Then we need to know the exact engine- which should be a 2.0 DOHC Zetec engine. That will be written on the valve cover.

The 2.3 is a Duratec, and that's a different engine. If you had one of those in your vehicle, then the valve cover wouldn't be marked with a name, and the intake manifold would be in the front of the engine compartment. The exhaust is in the front of the Zetec engine compartment.

The Zetec and Duratec do not have compatible engine bolt patterns, so the transmission will not mate. In order to make a swap, you literally need a donor car. Other things like the wiring harness would have to be changed also since most of the engine controls on the Zetec are in the back of the engine compartment, and the Duratec is in the front. The swap can be done, but like I wrote- you'll need a donor car to make things easier.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
As ''whynothinkwhynot'' says^^^^^^^^. Or you could look around for another zx3. Have you looked in the b&s section?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I would stay away from this particular car. If the previous owners sabotaged the gas, there is no way of telling what else they may have done. and even if it was not intentional, this car was obviously not well taken care of.

If the motor is the only thing that is wrong (which to me seems unlikely) then doing the swap yourself might be cheaper, but you can get a used first gen focus for cheap. Out of curiosity, I did a quick Craig's list search for Chicago, and saw dozens of focuses for sale by owner under 3 grand.... If this is going to be your one and only car, pay a grand or two more and get something that is ready to drive now.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114174
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 outdoorsman704 Good Standing Member
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go with this one but thanks for answering my questions. I've got a couple others I'll go and check out this week, hopefully by the end of this week I'll be the owner of a new focus!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Good luck hunting!
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman704 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go with this one but thanks for answering my questions. I've got a couple others I'll go and check out this week, hopefully by the end of this week I'll be the owner of a new focus!
Get a zee or dee tech & say away from the spi motors.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If the spark plugs don't go through the center of the valve cover, don't buy it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->