Massive toe arms - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona
 
Blue5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83941
Location: The 5th Dimension, United States
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Posts: 10,514
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Massive toe arms

So I bought a set of Massive toe arms a few months ago. Been sitting around in their bubble wrap until now. Going to be installing them in the next couple weeks(finally) especially since having just lowered my car 1.5" I am getting significant wear on the very inside edge of the drivers side rear tire and only a little on the passenger. Pretty sure my toe is out of wack in the rear now. Haven't had a chance to get alignment yet but want to get these on first so they can dial it in.

Question is are both ends of the toe arms suppose to be adjustable? I can easily spin the heim joint at one end as well as the jam nut on both. But at the other end I cannot get the heim joint to budge(unthread). The jam nut moves a hair but the joint will not spin. This end of the arm also has 2 flat spots on the outside body of the arm. The end that spins has no flat spots and is perfectly round. Also was wondering which end goes towards the wheel and which end goes towards the center of the car since one end has the flat spots(for clearance???)? The directions say nothing about the flat spots or which end goes where but they do make it sound like both ends are supposed to spin.

Any answers are much appreciated.


__________________
Team Focalize
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Blue5ive is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security
 
sleepyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Fan#: 15335
Location: SW Houston, TX, United States
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Posts: 25,239
FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I want to look at if I can get a chance.
__________________
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
sleepyboy is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona
 
Blue5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83941
Location: The 5th Dimension, United States
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Posts: 10,514
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
....and I had no uneven wear issues b4 lowering. Now its just the inside 3/4" of the rear tire. The arms should fix it fine. Of course old suspension was really worn and original to the car.
__________________
Team Focalize
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Blue5ive is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,609
FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5ive View Post
So I bought a set of Massive toe arms a few months ago. Been sitting around in their bubble wrap until now. Going to be installing them in the next couple weeks(finally) especially since having just lowered my car 1.5" I am getting significant wear on the very inside edge of the drivers side rear tire and only a little on the passenger. Pretty sure my toe is out of wack in the rear now. Haven't had a chance to get alignment yet but want to get these on first so they can dial it in.

Question is are both ends of the toe arms suppose to be adjustable? I can easily spin the heim joint at one end as well as the jam nut on both. But at the other end I cannot get the heim joint to budge(unthread). The jam nut moves a hair but the joint will not spin. This end of the arm also has 2 flat spots on the outside body of the arm. The end that spins has no flat spots and is perfectly round. Also was wondering which end goes towards the wheel and which end goes towards the center of the car since one end has the flat spots(for clearance???)? The directions say nothing about the flat spots or which end goes where but they do make it sound like both ends are supposed to spin. They are= one spin one way & the other spin backwards, to adjust your lenght.

Any answers are much appreciated.
The heim joints have a left & a right so you can lenghten or shorten the links. The rods them selfs have a left & right threads & one heim joint will be left hand thread & the other will be right hand thread. I have mine set up the same way on both sides, so you turn it to the right & it lenghtens it or turn it to the left & it shortens the link, which gives more toe. You will find just a 1/8 of a turn makes a difference for your toe adjustment. Make sure to use boots to protect your heim joints from dirt & debris= they don't like dirt at all. .05-.10 per side for rear toe & zero toe for the front is what I use.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona
 
Blue5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83941
Location: The 5th Dimension, United States
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Posts: 10,514
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Thing is I can only get the heim joint on one end to turn in any direction(unthread). I can't get the other end to turn at all. So as it stands if I install them as they are I would have to unbolt them to adjust them which I shouldn't have to do. I was thinking both ends are suppose to unthread so you don't have to unbolt them. Just thought it was weird that on both arms the ends with the flat spots won't turn. Maybe they are stuck and I need to get out the channel locks or something?
__________________
Team Focalize
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Blue5ive is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona
 
Blue5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83941
Location: The 5th Dimension, United States
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Posts: 10,514
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Vise grip pliers and a big screw driver ftw. The flat spot end seems to have more resistance to threading/unthreading.

So, flat spot end towards wheel or center of car?
__________________
Team Focalize
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Blue5ive is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,609
FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5ive View Post
Thing is I can only get the heim joint on one end to turn in any direction(unthread). I can't get the other end to turn at all. So as it stands if I install them as they are I would have to unbolt them to adjust them which I shouldn't have to do. I was thinking both ends are suppose to unthread so you don't have to unbolt them. Just thought it was weird that on both arms the ends with the flat spots won't turn. Maybe they are stuck and I need to get out the channel locks or something?
I'd tape up the flap spots & use a open end wrench in a vise. They should turn on both sides. One turns counter clockwise & the other turns clockwise. Left & right threads. Get them working before you install them.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona
 
Blue5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83941
Location: The 5th Dimension, United States
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

Posts: 10,514
FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Already done but thanks. For some reason they were stuck like a mother. But with the vise grip pliers and a big screw driver through the heim opening I finally got them free. I had to pull like mad to get them loose. They are fine now and I didn't mess up the paint.
__________________
Team Focalize
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Blue5ive is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,609
FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5ive View Post
Already done but thanks. For some reason they were stuck like a mother. But with the vise grip pliers and a big screw driver through the heim opening I finally got them free. I had to pull like mad to get them loose. They are fine now and I didn't mess up the paint.
Thats great, that you got them unstuck. I wouldn't think they'd be that tight. Put both of them on the ground side by side & look how the ends thread in & out. I have mine going the same way on both sides. For me its easier to think about the adjustments, cause they are twisted the same direction for the same adjustment on both sides.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.