2014 Orders: The Wait Begins! - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
A lot of people here are happy with their DCT so we must have a lot of delusional people in this forum, right?

I suppose that I can understand how someone might become completely irrational because their dealer refuses to service their new car properly.
Before you go any further, the CEO of Ford, Alan Mulally, made a public statement acknowledging that there are issues with the DCT transmission and that Ford is working to rectify the problems.

A CEO of a company does not make this statement if there are only a handful of people experiencing problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Before you go any further, the CEO of Ford, Alan Mulally, made a public statement acknowledging that there are issues with the DCT transmission and that Ford is working to rectify the problems.

A CEO of a company does not make this statement if there are only a handful of people experiencing problems.
You are clearly missing the point.

What exactly has been done (by Ford) to address the issues with the DCT since Alan Mulally made those statements?

Unless someone can answer this question accurately, one cannot claim that Ford has done little or nothing to fix/improve the DCT.

Talking about what it was rather than what it is now is pointless for the most part.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
You are clearly missing the point.

What exactly has been done (by Ford) to address the issues with the DCT since Alan Mulally made those statements?

Unless someone can answer this question accurately, one cannot claim that Ford has done little or nothing to fix/improve the DCT.

Talking about what it was rather than what it is now is pointless for the most part.
What point are you trying to make...?

That is the whole issue, Ford is acknowledging that there is a problem - but there has not been any design changes that we know of that have successfully worked. Many have had their clutches replaced only to have the problem return, and sometimes worse than before. I think there are quite a few 2013 owners on these forums experiencing the same DCT issues as 2012 owners.

This is not a good indication of a fix by Ford.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:

That is the whole issue, Ford is acknowledging that there is a problem - but there has not been any design changes that we know of that have successfully worked. Many have had their clutches replaced only to have the problem return, and sometimes worse than before. I think there are quite a few 2013 owners on these forums experiencing the same DCT issues as 2012 owners.

This is not a good indication of a fix by Ford.
Your comment implies that you think the problem with the DCT is with its inherent design ("There has not been any design changes that we know of..."). It is true that some have had defective DCTs that needed to be replaced. However, the overwhelming majority of the complaints I see here are folks who don't like how the DCT operates (shuddering, grinding, sluggishness, etc). I think to the extent that that is still a problem for some folks, it is due to software, not hardware. Quite frankly, I think Ford's DCT exhibits some of this "quirkiness" due to the fact that it is an automated manual, and not a slushbox, i.e. some of the complaints heard here will never go away completely (i.e. shuddering, especially at slow speeds although mine rarely if ever exhibits this since I've learned how to throttle the gas at slow speeds). I don't think that constitutes as a design defect. No one yet has convinced me that this is a hardware issue and no one has shown proof that a design defect exists (which I acknowledge would be hard to do, since no one here has inside knowledge of that).

These cars have been in the market for over two years (over three if you count the fiesta and its DCT) and I have yet to hear of "en masse" transmission failures. (Its theoretically still early, but after three years the window is growing smaller and smaller). I have also heard ziltch from the NTHSB about any mandatory recalls or investigations on the Focus (is anyone even filing a complaint anymore there?)

Even if you do think there really is a design defect in the DCT, do you really think Ford is going to swap your DCT for a second generation version? If so, you are delusional (i.e you better hope its software). I actually read the CEO's comments about the DCT (it was asked by a reported from CNBC during the New York Auto show). He was responding to the reporter's questions about complaints ONLINE about the DCT. If you read his response, it sounded like a canned response which said that Ford hears its customers and are continuously updating software and hardware ideas based on their feedback. He never said "the DCT has design defects and Ford is working on it". Read it again.

I find it telling that as much complaints as we read in this forum, no one (yet) has initiated a class action lawsuit. Some (a very few) have filed lemon laws. But most who can't take it anymore simply jump ship.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Advice about taking delivery of a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
I'd be happy to hear your advice, and I especially appreciate the courtesy. This is a thread about new 2014 cars so hopefully anyone else ordering a 2014 (and picking it up) will be able to benefit too. I'd say write it out here, or a new thread whichever works for you and will benefit others the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman View Post
+1, although I'd say another thread might be more valuable so more can benefit :-)
I agree that people might be less likely to find it in this thread than in one on that topic. I sent jcw122 a PM explaining that I have done a quick search for an existing one, but need to do a more thorough job before opening a new one. (Don't want to duplicate it if it's already there.) If anyone has any suggestions that'd help.

I'm not eager to start a new thread of my own, but probably should do that. Maybe a series on different steps of the process to buy a new car (Selecting one to fit your needs & preferences, shopping, negotiating, taking delivery...)

Meanwhile I sent what I had written to jcw122, and if anyone else can't wait, I can post it here until I find a better place for it -- or send it via PM if it's only one or two. I think it still needs some editing to cut it down to half its current size. (Brevity is the soul of wit, so draw your own conclusions about me.)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
tmtex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110584
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE - 2005 F150 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 tmtex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Why would anyone buy a 20K+ vehicle without seeing it, driving it, reading reviews
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116212
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 techman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
I agree that people might be less likely to find it in this thread than in one on that topic. I sent jcw122 a PM explaining that I have done a quick search for an existing one, but need to do a more thorough job before opening a new one. (Don't want to duplicate it if it's already there.) If anyone has any suggestions that'd help.

I'm not eager to start a new thread of my own, but probably should do that. Maybe a series on different steps of the process to buy a new car (Selecting one to fit your needs & preferences, shopping, negotiating, taking delivery...)

Meanwhile I sent what I had written to jcw122, and if anyone else can't wait, I can post it here until I find a better place for it -- or send it via PM if it's only one or two. I think it still needs some editing to cut it down to half its current size. (Brevity is the soul of wit, so draw your own conclusions about me.)
well I'm curious about your "taking delivery" suggestions..

and theres no such thing as too much information :-)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
My point is this:

I have a early production (built 5/2011) and the only "service" of the transmission has been 3 calibration (firmware) updates since I took delivery.

Each firmware update has been a clear improvement and the latest firmware update (done less than 2 months ago) is damn good. Zero shuddering with positive "crisp" clutch engagement. For the most part, I think they nailed it.

If my "old transmission" works this well with the new calibration, then one could reason that it should work even better with the updated mechanical parts, unless Ford has gone backwards (i.e. the old transmission is better than the newer one), in which case why would anyone buy any product from such a totally screwed up car company.

The bottom line is that Ford has made substantial improvements in the operation of the DCT. Without the latest powertrain calibration (which some 2103's may not have), any comments about the operation of the DCT would fall into the "what is was" category rather than what is rolling off of the assembly line today.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Too much information

Quote:
well I'm curious about your "taking delivery" suggestions..
I put it in a new thread.

Quote:
... and theres no such thing as too much information :-)
Wait until you see how much there is and see if you still think that's true. (If brevity really is the soul of wit then I have none.)
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just had a dealer quote me 4-6 weeks for a new 2014 Titanium HB. :) I haven't purchased yet, but am heavily leaning towards it. It's a great price from a different dealer that I was dealing with, too.

I'm awaiting a Ford brochure from a form online -- I can't find the 2014 brochure anywhere. I want to clarify precisely what is different from 2013 to 2014. Additionally, I'm wondering if they added a chrome exhaust cover? I hope so!

Also need to decide between default wheels (17" Sport Painted Aluminum) and the next option for all-weather tires (17" Polished Aluminum). Am looking at photographs obsessively.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->