proposed class action lawsuit for mft - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #41
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerL1 View Post
A sharp, greedy lawyer is the common man's best defense against powerful corporations and corporate interests spend considerable effort on anti lawyer and anti lawsuit propoganda You seem to be making the argument of corporate apologists.

In fact government agencies and corporations have been forced to change policies by such suits as a quick search of such cases will show. Such as the deBeers case.

And of course lawyers seek to get rich by them, that's what lawyers do. To argue we shouldn't file suits because they make lawyers money is akin to arguing we shouldn't buy Focuses because that makes executives money. In a capitalist system one need not apologize having money as an incentive, indeed money is the most reliable incentive, far more reliable than wanting to do the right thing.

Now it may be that a class action suit in the case of Ford MFT isn't justified but I assert that in general class action suits benefit society. Also note that even by settling such cases the corporation pays out (and incurs legal fees as well) and so has an incentive to avoid improper actions.
You example is flawed. Sure buying a Focus makes executives money. But at least I have a car that I can place a value on (both real and personal). With class action lawsuits, the overwhelming beneficiaries are the lawyers. I looked up your deBeers case. First, that class action apparently took FIVE years to run its course. Second, there are folks posting comments on bulletin boards complaining that they received a mere pittance of a settlement once the lawyers fees and costs were deducted. Case in point:

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/B...day-19222604/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #42
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I don't hate MFT. It works well enough for me, but I wouldn't opt-out of a class action lawsuit because I don't plan on suing Ford.

MY DCT on the other hand... I plan on getting that taken care of WELL before a (5 year?) class action lawsuit is settled.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
BoilerL1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114960
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 BoilerL1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
I looked up your deBeers case. First, that class action apparently took FIVE years to run its course. Second, there are folks posting comments on bulletin boards complaining that they received a mere pittance of a settlement once the lawyers fees and costs were deducted.
And yet there was a remedy and deBeers had to change it's way of doing business, presumably benefitting subsequent customers. That is useful.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #44
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
LOL. I got $168 back from the DeBeers case.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #45
iAmTitanium
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114637
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 0 iAmTitanium Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
Get a real phone and you won't have a problem.
just because I drank the cool aid doesn't mean my stuff shouldn't work, and ive done every thing I could on my end. I do IT work I like having apple stuff, I fix PCs all day, I have PCs and Macs in my house, doesn't mean it makes my choice of phone or issue any less relevant.

Just saying my Mercedes works with it BT over audio and its a 4 year older system, as does my friend Cruze, anothers BMW, so why is my car the only one who has an issue with my phone? My Focus battles with a few diff phones not just mine, but of course Ford says "ehhhh" were working on it, and sends me away.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #46
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
... MFT is no worse than my computer at work running Windows Vista.
Cousins. The first time I sat in a 2012 Focus in a showroom, seeing that little "Powered by Microsoft" badge on the console made me laugh. "Oh, great." It went over the salesman's head when I pointed to it and said "That right there might be enough to keep me from buying this car." He replied, "Oh, that's no problem. We can heat that up with a hairdryer and it will come right off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Another thing, based on the complaints you'd think they'd concentrate their efforts on going after the alleged DCT problems first. Although MFT and DCT are technically options, DCT is far more ubiquitous.
Your point sounds good to me. Maybe they're working up to it, taking the one they think will be easier first and saving the best for last? MFT may look like an easier target to the lawyers to warm up with. A win with one case would put them in a stronger position with a second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQEagle View Post
Basically, an exercise for the rich to get richer, and the others nothing. ...
Getting rich isn't that easy to do. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. If you think it is easy, just try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman355 View Post
Class action law suits are a joke. The only thing that happens is the lawyers make a lot of money
I'm sure they are no joke to whoever has to pay all that money the lawyers receive. But that's what BoilerL1 already said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerL1 View Post
Such lawsuits do provide the remedy of making corporations change bad policy and as such serve a useful purpose to society. That's no joke.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
The first time I sat in a 2012 Focus in a showroom, seeing that little "Powered by Microsoft" badge on the console made me laugh. "Oh, great." It went over the salesman's head when I pointed to it and said "That right there might be enough to keep me from buying this car." He replied, "Oh, that's no problem. We can heat that up with a hairdryer and it will come right off."
LOL - that is funny.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
pil__
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90074
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 pil__ Good Standing Member
I just got my check for $8.67 from the American Express foreign transaction fee settlement. It only took about 7 years. That said, I think I only legitimately deserved a dollar or two of that, so that's a pretty good return rate.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Clemenza
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99121
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Clemenza Good Standing Member
At best owners of Ford products with MFT would gain a few bucks if the suit is successful. This is a lose-lose proposition for owners. Our cars will be de-valued in the general marketplace after getting smeared in the press with articles about "defective" NAV systems, freezing functionality. Ford's response will be to give us a "free" visit to service, only for the poor service person to grope through the same crap they did originally. Hey, it's Powered by MicroSfoft, don't say they didn`t warn you.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #50
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
Hey, it's Powered by MicroSfoft, don't say they didn`t warn you.
They didn't warn us at all.

The Microsoft name badge is equivalent to false advertising since they didn't write the (screwed up) MFT app.

Bookmarks & Social Networks