2012 Focus SE Hatchback Sport - Changing stock speakers - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #141
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 675, Level 13
Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
From most reviews I've read, they are supposed to keep the steering wheel controls:

From the third unit I linked to:

It's something I would verify with the seller before ordering any unit, but I'd be surprised if it weren't supported.

I'm more concerned with what is lost when you remove the OEM LCD display, but I haven't gotten a good answer to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #142
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For you guys that have replaced the stock speakers, what are you doing about door rattles? I would like to fix the rattles when I replace the speakers. Only open the doors up once, and kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Despite a ride along with a shop foreman, the dealership has told me "We can't duplicate the problem". I can't get anyone at the local dealership to call me back either (including the customer service rep that called to "insure my visit was excellent"). IMO they are unwilling or incapable of fixing it, so I intend to address the problem myself. That's a whole other rant for another thread though......ANYWAY.....

Basically I have the stock 6-speaker system (Sync only, no MFT) currently, and with the windows up anything above about a 6 on volume results in both front doors rattling somewhat obnoxiously. Some songs are worse than others, and talk radio with a deep voiced person is unbearable. There is a resonant frequency towards the lower part of the band that results in a rattle loud enough to be heard OUTSIDE the car. It's far more noticeable with the windows up than down. My guess is the power windows are flexing the interior door panel slightly and creating a space for rattling. The right panel also rattles at every "crossing" of 2k rpm while driving.

My thought is to take the door panel off, and "coat" the back of it with DynaMat or similar product. I've had luck in the past isolating rattles, and squeaks out of my GM products with similar products. The place I bought them previously has closed though, so I'm open to other suggestions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a particular product to use?
What about where to get it?
Any thoughts on the space behind the door panel to fit the product?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #143
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
As stated earlier in the thread, I fixed my rattles by placing felt between the membrane glued to the metal door and the plastic door panel. In my case, it was the membrane vibrating against the door panel due to pressure waves from the speaker that was causing all the rattles, and it only got worse when I upgraded the door speakers. Certain mid-bass frequencies were the worst, as you stated. I didn't need to cover the whole door, only the offending areas which were mostly around the armrest and door pocket (cubbyhole) areas.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #144
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
As stated earlier in the thread, I fixed my rattles by placing felt between the membrane glued to the metal door and the plastic door panel. In my case, it was the membrane vibrating against the door panel due to pressure waves from the speaker that was causing all the rattles, and it only got worse when I upgraded the door speakers. Certain mid-bass frequencies were the worst, as you stated. I didn't need to cover the whole door, only the offending areas which were mostly around the armrest and door pocket (cubbyhole) areas.
Excellent. Thank you sir. I'll go reference that post, and let you know if I have any questions.

I thought I had read through the full thread. Guess I missed a post or two (been reading on the phone instead of the laptop). OOPS!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #145
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Excellent. Thank you sir. I'll go reference that post, and let you know if I have any questions.

I thought I had read through the full thread. Guess I missed a post or two (been reading on the phone instead of the laptop). OOPS!
Well, I might be wrong... There have been several threads on this subject before, and I may have mentioned it in the others. No point in looking back either way, I didn't really provide any more information in the old post than in the post above.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #146
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

I've found something interesting with the door rattles in my car. Not sure this is the right spot for it or not though. I have noticed that the drivers door only rattles with the window at the full up position. If it is even cracked so lightly that water doesn't get in, but isn't pushed tight against the seal, it doesn't rattle nearly as bad. My thought is that the door panel is "flexing" when the window seals tight, and moving into a position that promotes the "rattle" sound. Not sure what the fix is here, or if it's even possible.

I'm hoping to tear into the door panel one day this weekend to see whats in there, and if I can get the rattles cured without ANOTHER trip to the dealership.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #147
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I've found something interesting with the door rattles in my car. Not sure this is the right spot for it or not though. I have noticed that the drivers door only rattles with the window at the full up position.
Mine was the same before I got rid of the rattles. My theory was a little different, but yours might be more accurate. Like I stated earlier, my rattles were due to pressures in the door from the speakers causing the door membrane to rattle against the door panel, especially during music passages with bass frequencies. I figured that having the window not completely sealed might be allowing some of the pressure to escape and relieving the pressures in the door. Your theory makes sense though, as any inward flex of the door would likely push the membrane closer to the panel.

As easy as it is to remove the panels, I think it would be more of a headache to get the dealership involved rather than just fixing the problem yourself.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #148
Irishman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118053
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Irishman Good Standing Member
Hi. Has anybody experienced any problems with the audio unit after replacing the door speakers? Mine burnt out after 2 weeks. The speakers were not very different from the original ones in terms of RMS or impedance . The connections were finely soldered.
They will replace it under warranty because they did not check the door panels and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.
Now, should I keep the speakers or turn back to the original factory ones?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #149
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Mine has been working great for over a year with aftermarket speakers. I would think that only an impedance mismatch would cause a problem. I'm running a pair of very efficient Infinities in the front doors.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #150
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 675, Level 13
Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13 Points: 675, Level: 13
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Magnet or wiring shorting out against the door panel could do it as well - or it could just be a coincidence ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks