Vehicle will not stay running unless I give it gas.. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116735
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dmusick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vehicle will not stay running unless I give it gas..

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and really need some help!! I recently bought a 2001 Ford Focus SE, and it idles real rough.. Runs fine at higher speeds but soon as I lay off the gas and press it again, shake shake gobble google thing runs rough. I bought the car yesterday morning (sat July 13th) and today I went to advanced auto parts and got some goodies for the car. Idle control valve, throttle position sensor, Pcv hose (was closed up) thinking that would take car of the most of the rough idle.. And yes the car dies with the ac is turned on. So I installed all these parts and changed oil and other nick nacks, and now the car is running worse!! NOW IT WON'T STAY ON AT ALL!!!! It takes a couple of try's to get it even started. I've googled and googled with no luck. PLEASE Can anyone help me??? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Floodyou76
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105749
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Floodyou76 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You try asking the person you bought it from?

I would check for vacuum leaks first and foremost...everywhere....IM, TB, PCV, Intake, MAF...all of it. Clean the MAF too, just for S%^$ n Giggles...but check for Vaccuum leaks. if its already running rough, its not surprising that it runs worse with the AC on...its just more drag on the engine.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
i say ask the previous owner has he ever changed his fuel filter/pump
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
2003focuzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92022
What I Drive: 2003 all black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2003focuzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jay 918 View Post
i say ask the previous owner has he ever changed his fuel filter/pump
I agree with this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FF Mobile
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the fast responses .... Of course with my luck the previous owner doesn't answer my calls any longer. I forgot to mention, I replaced the fuel filter myself today also. I will check for vacuum leaks first thing in morning.

Question: why now that I've changed this things is is running worse than when I drove it home? I drove for over and hour here in Houston Tx with the AC on high, it was running rough. But not like it it now? Spent hours messing with the car today only for it to be worse than when I started..

I will let y'all know how it goes tomorrow with the vacuum leaks. Thank you guys again so much, I really appreciate it
Old 07-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Fuel pump issues show MORE with load not less, NOT the fuel pump..........he says clearly it runs fine higher up. BUUUUTT..............you can possibly check by filling tank up past 1/2 way. When pump goes bad the problems show up at low levels of fuel, say under 1/4 tank, for sure at 1/8.

OP should question what all he did, should've been improvement there not worse, meaning something later done wrong. First place I'd start is TPS-is car an automatic? If so they sold the wrong TPS for it................as the correct one is not available. Manual trans TPS absolutely will not work on ATX, even if it seems to bolt right up.

Next? How the IAC sealed to intake, was old seal removed, what was used to seal this time? They have a tremendous propensity for sticking the wrong gasket in the IAC boxes it seems.

Don't be afraid to look at your own work critically, it's one of the best tools you have. Unfortunately many absolutely cannot do that. Why they get rid of perfectly fixable vehicles.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

When I drove the vehicle from where I bought it from 60miles away, car had little less than half a tank of gas. I put in fuel injector cleaner and ran seaform through it.. Then I drove until no gas, then filled her up with premium 93 fuel. Replaced all those parts, and car is worse.. I checked all over with no luck on vacuum leaks, went back to auto parts store to find out the TPS they sold me was a used one outta somebody's vehicle (dura last box, with a factory tps inside) so went to a different store and got the right one.. So I think? They told me up and down its for an automatic, came home and installed it.. No luck, I have to give it gas for it to start and keep giving it gas to keep it running. I googled the TPS for automatic, it looks nothing like the one that is currently on the vehicle...Wife at this point is not happy... The car is for her so she can drive to school and back, and then it's gonna be my sons first car when he turns 16 next year. So with that said THE BOSS HAS SPOKEN!! The car is at my local mechanic shop (very trustworthy guys) to do a diagnosis on it, so I can fix it myself to save money.

Sorry for my scatter brain... Yes I made sure they was no old gasket or anyone on the icv. And installed it with the gasket it came with.

Also, just for giggles. I uninstalled the TPS and stared the car to see what it would do.. Same issue!!

I will let you all know the verdict when I find out. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR THE FEEDBACK
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok, car still at shop.. I replaced the plugs and wires AGAIN, the car idles better now but still has major issue when has is applied. It sputters horribly and makes popping sounds from under hood, with little back fire. When left alone it'll run, I let it sit and idle for over an hour yesterday, but soon as I put into gear BOOM it dies! I tested the fuel pump from the vacuum thing under the hood and the gas shoots out when the key is turned on. I'm stuck at this point.. So I'm leaving it at shop until they can hopefully find the problem.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
What motor? If the zetec all you can get is the manual trans TPS, the automatic is not available. Autozone part #TPS274 is for MTX not automatic, the two parts are not compatible and will produce your troubles. Of course other things could too. The automatic one you find that looks different is for the SOHC motor. O'reilly claims automatic one but just try ordering it, a non event.

Bad TPS will screw up idle to where vehicle runs perfectly until you get down around idle, then it spits its' guts out. Have to push down pedal to keep it running. BTDT. They may be able to rig engine to idle but they cannot repeat what must happen as soon as you roll throttle on, or the PROPER increase in volts the TPS provides. The fix for ATX zetec is a new throttle body, Ford modded it fairly early and why no one makes parts for old one, they thought they couldn't sell them. You have to buy the throttle body (and a new connector since old one doesn't work, great work Ford!) to get a proper new ATX TPS. Or...........look at the stickies here for what I did to get around a $200 part. Mine did same as yours in OP but fixed it instantly.

Any mechanic worth his salt can easily measure the TPS voltage to check for the problem................like this..............

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313092

Last edited by amc49; 07-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Dmusick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Shop said I HAVE to have a Motorcraft TPS.. Is this true?

Bookmarks & Social Networks