Looking for PCV valve - Any Engine pics available? - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #51
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does this help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
... If the dealers have better diagrams, can they be purchased?. Is there a book or better, on online or purchasable service manual?
I know so little about modern small engines and this one in particular that a service manual would probably be a good investment, where can I get one?
I have not yet taken the time to read the rest of this thread nor the one I'm referring you to, but this might help. (If later posts to either thread make mine redundant, disregard.)

One thing you'll discover about "modern small engines" and the cars they're in (if you haven't already) is that more logic is hidden from our view in so called "control units" that just appear as a blank box in a wiring diagram (if you can even find a wiring diagram). Just little computers, but loaded with proprietary software that we can't get to or ever see documented. (See Fog Light Installation - S Model (with Pics) for an example.)

Not only do the automakers want to keep whats in them a trade secret, the government does not want anyone messing with them and upsetting the emission and fuel economy characteristics that the vehicles were certified with. (It is not even legal for tuners to sell their products to buyers in California, except in low density counties or for vehicles not operated on public roads.) Tough luck for us if we want better performance and/or driveability, or to just do our own maintenance, repairs, and modifications. Still, I don't miss doing a lot of the old school tuning work that they have made obsolete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #52
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Bad as it is, it's there for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandT View Post
... those who detest emission systems in general and this one (EGR is next) in particular such as myself, may wish to consider it for no other reason than that we/you hate to have waste products reintroduced into your/my engine, sweet little kitten/puppy that he/she is. ...
I hate it, too, but if the alternative is to have those "waste products" pumped out into the air we all breathe I'll vote for keeping them inside the engine. Do you have kids, grandkids, nieces, or nephews whose lungs you'd rather have that nasty stuff end up inside of? Where would you say it would do the most harm?

Before cars had smog controls, the SF Bay Area where I grew up frequently had terrible smog created by millions of cars driving around every day. It was not unique in that, but the area's geography made it impossible to ignore. Still, I hated what early attempts at emission control technology did to cars. (VW did it best with their fuel injection, and Honda with CVCC. All the rest were crap for years.) I thought they were a big mistake. I was wrong.

Being away from the area for a few years and coming back after the effects of emission controls had made a dramatic difference changed my mind. A huge improvement in air quality was unmistakable. Technology improved steadily, allowing emissions to decline steadily at the same time the negative effects on cars were reduced.

Please, leave it working as designed. I'm no tree hugger and even believe "global warming" is a hoax perpetrated by people who want to be able to tax the very air we breathe in and the gasses we expel, but I do like to have clean air to breathe. Emission controls do less harm to your engine than defeating them does to people. Besides being illegal, it is just plain inconsiderate.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 09-01-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #53
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
Bump:

I know this is a old thread but i'm new to my Focus. I previously had a 2007 Mini Cooper S that was direct injected and they had a huge problem with carbon build up on the intake valves that was so bad i had to eventually eliminate my pcv system and vent everything to the atmosphere to prevent my engine from running like crap. It was that or spend $600 ever couple years to have the intake manifold taken off and the valves cleaned. My question is, has anyone actually located the PCV valve yet? Or has anyone put a oil catch can on one of these engines yet? I can not find the pcv valve on this engine and have no idea where to put a catch can or even where to vent the pcv system at. Any updates at all would be great.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #54
Kjanracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135409
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red SE hatch with DCT

FF Reputation: 2 Kjanracing Good Standing Member
Read the post right above yours and ask yourself why you should be so special. I also agree that defeating emission control systems is wrong. I've seen a lot of DI engines that don't have valve deposit issues. Just because your Mini did-maybe- doesn't mean the Ford will. Please be responsible, don't vent the crank case to the atmosphere.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #55
Jburks
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjanracing View Post
Read the post right above yours and ask yourself why you should be so special. I also agree that defeating emission control systems is wrong. I've seen a lot of DI engines that don't have valve deposit issues. Just because your Mini did-maybe- doesn't mean the Ford will. Please be responsible, don't vent the crank case to the atmosphere.
Well i dont recall asking for personal opinions on the matter. I asked if anyone has used a catch can or vented to atmosphere. I'm simply looking for USEFULL information. I never once said i was going to vent it to atmosphere i was simply asking if anyone has. It is a fact that my mini had a issue with carbon build up on the intake valves, there is no maybe to it. It was a direct result of the engine being direct injected. Now if the Focus has a usefull system in place that prevents carbon build up on the intake valves then great. I will have no need for a catch can or to vent to atmosphere. I would still like to get information on the matter though. That's the whole point of the forum is it not? sharing and gathering information.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #56
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I am not a tree hugger either , I vent mine and recommend that everyone vents there out of the intake
The big reason engines dont have "road breathers" any longer is because of the oil , water that come out of then and got on the roads and Hwy ways , the air that comes out does very little harm
I look around why traveling around the US and I see unregulated trucks blowing out plooms of black smoke , Factorys and out own Government allowing billions of tons of pollution into the air

I vented mine , for every one that doesnt like this being done , plant a tree lol

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #57
Jburks
Focus Addict

Where would i vent mine on the TI-VCT engine?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #58
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Loose the PCV and take the valve cover loose going to the intake and cover the hole on the intake
I would remove the spring and plunger from the PCV and add a hose to the pcv and plug the hose going to the intake manifold

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #59
FoFoTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119990
What I Drive: 2014 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FoFoTi Good Standing Member