DCT Transmission annoyances and issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
colin warburton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100182
What I Drive: 2012 pearl white SEL hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 colin warburton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry DCT Transmission annoyances and issues

i have a 2012 focus SEL hatch, the DCT problems r starting to annoy me
here is my annoyances/issues:
going up a steep hill, when lightly pressing the gas the car will start to shudder and the clutches will make the usual grinding noise

when on the street, shifting from 1st to 2nd, it will slightly shudder/jerk:meaning that the shifting isnt smooth

car has 11,180 miles
got it serviced a month ago

this is starting to feel like a lemon car. im suprised ford hasnt done a recall on this

ford=fix or repair daily

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin warburton View Post
going up a steep hill, when lightly pressing the gas the car will start to shudder and the clutches will make the usual grinding noise

when on the street, shifting from 1st to 2nd, it will slightly shudder/jerk:meaning that the shifting isnt smooth

car has 11,180 miles
got it serviced a month ago

this is starting to feel like a lemon car. im suprised ford hasnt done a recall on this

ford=fix or repair daily
Just to be sure - you aren't using the accelerator to hold your position on a hill like a conventional automatic, are you?

There are software updates that may help with DCT behavior. Is your car up-to-date?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
colin warburton
Focus Enthusiast

nope not using it to hold my position, this is just regular driving

and is my car up to date? ive never had any tsb stuff done
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:

when on the street, shifting from 1st to 2nd, it will slightly shudder/jerk:meaning that the shifting isnt smooth...
Hi colin warburton,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. To move forward, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 528, Level 10
Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10 Points: 528, Level: 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:

Sounds like 'normal operation' from what I've been told. My car also shudders, jerks, and makes clattering noises when going uphill. It sounds a bit like a roller-coaster going up that first lift hill. And it moves at about the same speed too.

Quote:
Oh yeah. My 2012 Ford Focus has been biggest heap of shit I've had to drive in the last 20 years. It can't even keep up with traffic. It's pretty sad when that 1973 Dodge pickup in front of you, burning oil and sputtering along with a bad misfire, is steadily accelerating away. While every increase in throttle results in the car going "burble" and NO ACCELERATION at all. Eventually it will downshift... and fall flat on its face. So you end up flooring it, just to keep up.

The only car I've ever driven that was more gutless than this P.O.S. Focus was my wife's 1982 Chevette DIESEL.

Quote:
ford=fix or repair daily
Take it to a few more dealerships and you'll learn what F.O.R.D. really stands for:

OFF, REPAIR DENIED
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
colin warburton
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Sounds like 'normal operation' from what I've been told. My car also shudders, jerks, and makes clattering noises when going uphill. It sounds a bit like a roller-coaster going up that first lift hill. And it moves at about the same speed too.

Oh yeah. My 2012 Ford Focus has been biggest heap of shit I've had to drive in the last 20 years. It can't even keep up with traffic. It's pretty sad when that 1973 Dodge pickup in front of you, burning oil and sputtering along with a bad misfire, is steadily accelerating away. While every increase in throttle results in the car going "burble" and NO ACCELERATION at all. Eventually it will downshift... and fall flat on its face. So you end up flooring it, just to keep up.

The only car I've ever driven that was more gutless than this P.O.S. Focus was my wife's 1982 Chevette DIESEL.

Take it to a few more dealerships and you'll learn what F.O.R.D. really stands for:

OFF, REPAIR DENIED
i have to do that CONSTANTLY! especially when in city traffic for me heck its hard to keep it at 40 mph in city, even when im going up a large steep hill and everyone is going faster than me and im like at the same speed limit but then it gurgles to a lower speed like it cant handle the hill. i litterally have to full throttle it just to get up to speed of the other people to catch up. the engine is shitty on hills.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
colin warburton
Focus Enthusiast

well i cant wait to get a lexus is350 in a year and a half to 2 years.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
JesseSE
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116383
What I Drive: 2013 Dark Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 JesseSE Good Standing Member
Recalls are only done for safety defects not for annoying newer tech items that havent had all the bugs worked out yet. As far as I can tell there haven't been any accidents yet that the wonky tranny has caused. There is OBVIOUSLY a problem with many of these transmissions but there are many out there that work quite well, I have a 2013 (Job 2) Automatic and so does my wife and both cars transmissions work flawlessly (knocking on wood) so far. IF I do end up with problems and my dealer wont help me I WILL contact Crystal with ford customer service to get the issue escalated. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Strix
Focus Addict

Points 528, Level 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
i have to do that CONSTANTLY! especially when in city traffic for me heck its hard to keep it at 40 mph in city, even when im going up a large steep hill and everyone is going faster than me and im like at the same speed limit but then it gurgles to a lower speed like it cant handle the hill. i litterally have to full throttle it just to get up to speed of the other people to catch up. the engine is shitty on hills.
I don't think it's the engine, I believe it's the programming in the transmission and engine computer.

My theory is that when clutch slippage is detected, instead of illuminating a malfunction indicator light, the ECU simply reduces engine output to avoid slipping the clutch.

The end result is a car that is a gutless piece of crap that can't even hold a steady speed on a slight grade... but one that Ford can claim is functioning normally because no error codes are stored. Our cars don't even have a dedicated transmission malfunction indicator. I don't believe that this is an oversight. It was intentionally left out.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Strix
Focus Addict

Points 528, Level 10
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessese View Post
if i do end up with problems and my dealer wont help me i will contact crystal with ford customer service to get the issue escalated. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
lol!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.