2001 Focus Not Start - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
MikeD83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116572
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus Black

FF Reputation: 1 MikeD83 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 Focus Not Start

Went to leave work the other day turned the key and nothing happened. Turned it again and the car started. Got home and then had to leave again went out and it wouldn't start again. Tried jumping the battery first nothing happened. There is an audible click from the engine compartment(loud) but the started wasn't turning. Replace the ignition relay still nothing. Went to the starter next removed it and brought it to advance auto to have it tested the said it was bad. Replaced the starter still the same thing, loud audible click from engine compartment. Unsure where to go next I am wondering if the alternator is shot? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Take your alternator out and have it tested, that could very well be your problem. If it is good then you might have a short somewhere. My best bet is that your alternator is starting to crap out on you, mine just went out last week and cost me almost $200... The alt was not charging my batt and the car was starting to sputter, like if you were about to run out of gas but luckly I was close to home and made it back but when i tried to roll up my window, nothing happened. My batt was drained and the alt was making just enough juice to bairly keep the car running. I turned it off and tried to start it back up and nothing happened, completely dead. So yeah, get your alternator tested, depending on the age of your batt, you might want to replace that too. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
I have a question for you, did your battery light ever come on just before this happened, I noticed that my batt light came on and thats when my car started to act up, indicates a problem with the charging system. You might have not noticed it but if it did then like I said, your alternator is prob shot. When you take it to get it tested, have your battery checked as well just to be safe. Best of luck to ya.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
MikeD83
Focus Rookie

Thanks guys ill get the alternator checked next then. Didn't notice a battery light but just checked it is on when the key is turned over after the rest of the dash light go out. The battery is fairly new. Funny though that the starter tested bad as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: '03 LX SPI, '10 Chevy HHR

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD83 View Post
Thanks guys ill get the alternator checked next then. Didn't notice a battery light but just checked it is on when the key is turned over after the rest of the dash light go out. The battery is fairly new. Funny though that the starter tested bad as well.
The starter may have been good enough to start the car, but not to pass the test... Quite possible with 12 year old parts....

If you find the alt is bad, make sure you have the battery tested after it is replaced. as Gav-O pointed out, dying alternators can be hell on batteries, even new ones.

By the way, what engine do you have in your focus?

I don't know about the zetec, but on the SPI the alt. is a real easy swap. hardest part is getting the accessory belt on at the end. Might be a good idea to check your belt tensioner while you have the belt off.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
MikeD83
Focus Rookie

I have the zetec engine, alternator is pretty easy to get to. I'll get it taken off tomorrow, hope its the alternator I really don't feel like dealing with a short somewhere.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
moving ya to tech chat for more help
Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
MikeD83
Focus Rookie

2001 Ford Focus 16v Zetec No Start Continued...

Posted last week sometime and got some good advice on where to start. Replaced the ignition relay, starter, and alternator. Car still will not turn over. The key turns, and all I get is one click from the engine compartment. Looking for some more advice on what could be causing this. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Power supply to starter, or, cable condition. Probably what it was all along...........need to check main engine ground too.

I see nothing still of battery load tested. I replaced plenty of crap batteries that failed in less than a year, often with people who insisted on buying the too cheap (less CCA) battery. You play, you pay................Battery needs load test at correct CCA. Could easily cause that. In heat like now our battery replacements went up like 400%.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
MikeD83
Focus Rookie

Just had the battery load tested like you suggested amc49 CCA is at 666 and running at 12.7 volts. Started checking the wiring to starter and I will check the ground as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks