Anyone move from a VW to one of these? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Etch.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116485
What I Drive: Not a Focus anymore. Good riddance!

Points 921, Level 16
Points: 921, Level: 16 Points: 921, Level: 16 Points: 921, Level: 16
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Etch. Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone move from a VW to one of these?

If so and you've had your focus long enough for the newness to wear off...what do you think between the 2?

Looking at POSSIBLY moving from a Golf 6MT TDI to one of these due to an upcoming move/major shift in driving needs. I really like my Golf both in terms of quality and the way it drives, and especially the MPG of the diesel. I have an upcoming move in which afterwards, I will rarely need to drive more then 2 or 3 miles at a time, which is generally not good for current TDI's or any modern diesel with all the emissions equipment. They really need to be run at temp a good bit thus mostly short couple miles here and there will start causing problems with that stuff.

This gen focus is my favorite on paper and looks at least as good as other similar cars as well. Went to go look at a 2013 Titanium awhile back and test drove it and all. I'm pretty impressed with the material quality and all...right up there with mine and of course other higher dollar cars. The engine...meh...certainly not near the feel of my diesel and it's turbo and added torque, but par for the course there. Don't really care about ST and all since with such short drives, i'd rather save the money. The DCT....OMG....even with some low expectation after reading all the complaints...this is quite possibly THE worst transmission I have EVER experienced in a car without a doubt! Even compared to worn out high mileage about to kick the bucket regular automatics. Let me add that I have driven VW's DSG, so I am not totally unfamiliar with dual clutch transmissions, but this DCT is just horrible! Would def be getting a manual.

Anyhow, since TDI's hold their value very well, it wouldn't take much money to make the move. I have always been a Ford guy, in fact I have an F150 as well, but picked up the VW after spending so much time in Europe for the job where even their mundane Fords and Opels and the like, nevermind the high dollar makes, just always seemed nicer and drive better then our average cars. Eventually had to get something similar for myself for this side of the pond. This generation focus really does fill a lot of that void between their cars and ours. Despite this, and the cheaper, less, and easier maintenance, etc....I just get this creeping feeling that I shouldn't get rid of the TDI until it actual proves to be a problem with the new driving pattern. Also, while I know I wont get near the MPG, nor does it matter as much with such short trips, it doesn't help seeing the number of people that cant even get out of the 20's in these things. Seems to be just as many complaining about that as there are those sitting comfortably in the mid to upper 30's overall.

So any of you former VW owners have any regrets or other thoughts looking back?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.