rear (bank 2) oxygen sensor code - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
jimnich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116560
What I Drive: 2002 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 jimnich Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
rear (bank 2) oxygen sensor code

I have a 2002 SE with the SPI motor. I have been driving with the cel on. I plugged in a obd2 code reader and found out the rear o2 sensor was bad. I also just replaced the pvc elbow due to a split in it causing a leak and giving me a rough idle. After replacing the split elbow i have taken notice of my cel off and other times back on. Can this be related in any way or is it just actually a bad o2 sensor? I am new to the Focus world and plan to do more to also give me some more ponies under the hood. Any and all help/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
There are other things that can cause a "bad" O2 sensor such as a misfire. Misfires can cause a rich condition and the O2 sensor tries to get the computer to correct the problem but if it can't it throws an O2 sensor code or it gums up the sensor with the extra fuel in the exhaust. Also, I have seen exhaust leaks cause O2 sensor problems.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Richard Bridgette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99824
What I Drive: SCCA GT-1 road race Mustang

FF Reputation: 2 Richard Bridgette Good Standing Member
Rear O2 sensor

I believe the rear O2 sensor basically monitors how well the catalytic converter is functioning, rather than rich or lean fuel mixture, which I believe is the main function of the front (bank 1) O2 sensor.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
They are all connected. And if the amount of exhaust is effected it will effect the cat which will effect the O2 sensor.

Sent from cyberspace
Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
jimnich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116560
What I Drive: 2002 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 jimnich Good Standing Member
Thanks for the input. I also hear the o2 sensor can be taken out and cleaned off rather than be replaced. Anyone have any helpful tips on that?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
duc450
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10651
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SVT CD Silver

FF Reputation: 4 duc450 Good Standing Member
Did you happen to monitor the voltage on the downstream O2 sensor? If so what did you see? Also if you are worried about a catalytic converter being plugged, you can take an infra-red thermometer and measure the difference in the inlet and outlet temperatures of the cat and if there is a noticeable difference in the two that signals a bad cat. Also a visual inspeciton inside of the cat is a good way to check to see what condition the substrate is in. I've had success cleaning some O2 sensors with electronic cleaner depending on the amount of build up. I would be careful using anything else because the O2 does sample internally and externally. Dont completely discount the wiring to and from the O2 sensor sometimes it degrades over time and is a good idea to check it with a multi-meter. Bile0026 is correct in that a leak can cause this code as well. Check for cracks in the exhaust manifold, around welds and gaskets or even possibly rusted out holes in the exhaust. Hope this helps.

Bookmarks & Social Networks