2012 SEL 5 Speed VS 2013 SE DCT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
1Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112188
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL - Standard!

FF Reputation: 1 1Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 SEL 5 Speed VS 2013 SE DCT

Hi guys,

So I have a 2012 SEL 5 speed which I absolutely love, which is now at the body shop for paint on the bumper and fender because of some jerk making a left turn in front of me.

I did get a 2013 SE DCT rental, and was pretty excited to test it. I had read so many problems with the DCT on here, I was looking to try it out myself. This rental has about 30,000 km on it, and the DCT made no grinding or any noises of sorts. I did find it a bit fumbly though, but hard throtte imputs were very much loved. :P

I have to say that I have been driving manual cars for 10 years now, so definitely not of fan of auto's. I did not find the DCT to be that bad though, everything worked just fine. I do miss my 5 speed though.

I find the sound my engine makes is much nicer, not sure if the transmission affects this, but mine definitely growls so nicely, it's almost an aural orgasm! :D haha

Other than that, handling on my SEL is better due to sport suspension and 17 inch rims. And I really like MFT more than the base model! MFT has been basically flawless for me...Missing my leather seats and steering wheel too....

It is nice to compare though! I noticed many improvements over the trim levels...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,306, Level 41
Points: 4,306, Level: 41 Points: 4,306, Level: 41 Points: 4,306, Level: 41
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
In general the DCT is fine, sure people have had bad ones, but based on sales numbers there are not that many complaints compared to the number of cars on the road
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

Points 458, Level 9
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 joshuafail Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 SE with the DCT.. it only has 1,600 miles on it and I've not noticed any of the issues others seem to have with it either. I'm thinking the more time goes on, the more of the problems Ford is able to iron out.

If you don't get a problem child, the DCT is a great transmission, in my opinion. And when the car is loaded up, it only makes it that much nicer..
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,132, Level 40
Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
In general the DCT is fine, sure people have had bad ones, but based on sales numbers there are not that many complaints compared to the number of cars on the road
Actually there has been enough for Ford to come out and state their is a problem with the DCT and MFT systems so that's a step is fixing those with issues. This forum is filled with threads about the DCT issues and is the #1 complaint of the MK3 and even the car rags recommend avoiding it.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,414, Level 75
Points: 13,414, Level: 75 Points: 13,414, Level: 75 Points: 13,414, Level: 75
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Any manual transmission in a non-sports car is a rarity now in the USA. I am glad i have a manual tranny in my 2012 Focus.
I live in the Milwaukee metro area of 1.5 million, with over two dozen Ford dealers.. And when i was looking for a new Focus with manual tranny, not one to be had anywhere in the local area.(excepta few base sedans in silver or black)
To find ONE with the features i wanted I had to do a search for a 100 mile radius (including the nearby Chicago metro area to my South) .. How many Show up??? (all i searched was manual, yellow, sport package) My baby had the black painted 17's and moonroof added in.
ONE! Only one showed up at all.. and that was the other way.. up north in a little town 60 miles away.
I contacted them and bought the car the same day.
Still have not seen another one with the features i have almost two years later.
I blame the dealers for refusing to preorder 'unusual' cars for fear they will not fly out the dealership doors.
Anyway I love my manual tranny Focus.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 337, Level 6
Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Any manual transmission in a non-sports car is a rarity now in the USA. I am glad i have a manual tranny in my 2012 Focus.
I live in the Milwaukee metro area of 1.5 million, with over two dozen Ford dealers.. And when i was looking for a new Focus with manual tranny, not one to be had anywhere in the local area.(excepta few base sedans in silver or black)
To find ONE with the features i wanted I had to do a search for a 100 mile radius (including the nearby Chicago metro area to my South) .. How many Show up??? (all i searched was manual, yellow, sport package) My baby had the black painted 17's and moonroof added in.
ONE! Only one showed up at all.. and that was the other way.. up north in a little town 60 miles away.
Still have not seen another one with the features i have almost two years later.
I blame the dealers for refusing to preorder 'unusual' cars for fear they will not fly out the dealership doors.
You think you had it bad, I live in Central Florida, but picked my car up in Minneapolis. Granted, some of that had to do with local dealers practicing things I don't believe in, but still...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,132, Level 40
Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
We saw our's from the road (my wife wanted a red one) and went in and looked at it and it was the only 5 speed on the lot that day and it just happened to have the sync along with the sport package and I don't think I could've ordered it any better...literally. I even wanted the 16" sport wheels since I knew I was going to a 17" size from the aftermarket.

I didn't know it at the time but I think we got lucky finding this specifically equipped one right off the bat.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Points 1,630, Level 23
Points: 1,630, Level: 23 Points: 1,630, Level: 23 Points: 1,630, Level: 23
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

When I got my 2011 manual, I had to have it trucked in out of state!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,076, Level 40
Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
This forum is filled with threads about the DCT issues and is the #1 complaint of the MK3 and even the car rags recommend avoiding it.
The opinions of the car rags are clearly irrelevant because their comments do not apply to what is rolling off of the assembly line today.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,076, Level 40
Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
I'm thinking the more time goes on, the more of the problems Ford is able to iron out.
Yes, of course they have, but it seems that some people cannot grasp the obvious.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.