MK3 Owner Quality & Ownership Survey - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: MK3 Owner Quality & Ownership Survey
Overall build quality met my expectations 157 77.34%
Overall build quality did not meet my expectations 43 21.18%
Exterior build quality met my expectations 162 79.80%
Exterior build quality did not meet my expectations 31 15.27%
Interior build quality met my expectations 156 76.85%
Interior build quality did not meet my expectations 39 19.21%
Vehicle comfort level met my expectations 179 88.18%
Vehicle comfort level did not meet my expectations 17 8.37%
Engine power met my expectations 168 82.76%
Engine power did not meet my expectations 30 14.78%
Vehicle handling met my expectations 183 90.15%
Vehicle handling did not meet my expectations 16 7.88%
Safety features met my expectations 190 93.60%
Safety features did not meet my expectations 6 2.96%
Technology features met my expectations 147 72.41%
Technology features did not meet my expectations 50 24.63%
Fuel economy met my expectations 164 80.79%
Fuel economy did not meet my expectations 34 16.75%
I experienced some defects and problems with my vehicle 140 68.97%
I did not experienced any defects or problems with my vehicle 54 26.60%
I felt my vehicle is a great value for the money 148 72.91%
I did not feel my vehicle is a great value for the money 42 20.69%
I would recommend a Focus to a friend 150 73.89%
I would not recommend a Focus to a friend 43 21.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #31
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Might as well itemize the issues/things i dont like with my Focus, again I still love the car but if Ford is listening and wants to fix issues (maybe they already did in the 2013).
  • Water remains in door sills for days after it rains.
  • Driver door high pitch creak when I open it all the way (car has sub 2k miles on it)
  • Door unlock/lock sensors on door handles are too sensitive, they car constantly locks/unlocks when I'm washing it (even from spraying water on it)
  • Door panels rattle with even the slightest amount of base (if my leg is touching the door)
  • No light in Glovebox
  • Cruise control doesn't stay on when I turn the car off (I don't mean engaged)
  • Trunk flooring (like jims said) doesn't go all the way to the walls (solved problem of things falling down there by getting a Tupperware container)
  • 15 spoke wheels are a stupid and take a ridiculous amount of time to thoroughly clean
  • Creaky suspension
  • Car says Low Battery after a very short time - last night it did it after 15 minutes (headlights were on though).
  • Some of your ford dealers are really impolite/don't fix anything
  • Front suspension has been making a high pitched squeak when it hits a bump.

I think that's everything, I'll update the list should anything else arise. I didn't include the DCT issues on my list because they seem to have disappeared, was pretty stupid that it took 1200ish miles for the problems to break-in though, doesn't exactly instill a sense of confidence. I also am having problems with my MFT, but when I bought the car it was much better so I can only assume that Muzi Ford didn't re-update the TSBs when they "fixed" the compass.

Edited to add suspension squeak.

Last edited by Vanquished; 07-08-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ud think since usb port memory card slot n dvr plug in are in console that there'd be a light or dome light would shine on them.the ecoboost f150 I traded in no light on usb port either.n the auto sucked n why it went by by.but it did run well
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
Adam The Gnome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115670
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Adam The Gnome Good Standing Member
To be nit picky the audio controls on the steering wheel are backwards.I like to scan instead of presets.
But that can be solved by my lazy butt.
One big glaring flaw, it's an automatic!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Whew adam the gnome thanks I thought it was just me being on the older side.I got my rollin boom box 130 miles from home (wanted a manual trans) after a very brief overview at dealership I headed for home thru st louis in the dark.found all I needed to but not the search feature
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
Adam The Gnome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115670
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Adam The Gnome Good Standing Member
You have to hold the flipper to get it to scan. So my argument is invalid. Lol
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #36
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Cool thanks...stupid technology anyway
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
malinowski
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100365
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 malinowski Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Might as well itemize the issues/things i dont like with my Focus, again I still love the car but if Ford is listening and wants to fix issues (maybe they already did in the 2013).
  • Water remains in door sills for days after it rains.
  • Driver door high pitch creak when I open it all the way (car has sub 2k miles on it)
  • Door unlock/lock sensors on door handles are too sensitive, they car constantly locks/unlocks when I'm washing it (even from spraying water on it)
  • Door panels rattle with even the slightest amount of base (if my leg is touching the door)
  • No light in Glovebox
  • Cruise control doesn't stay on when I turn the car off (I don't mean engaged)
  • Trunk flooring (like jims said) doesn't go all the way to the walls (solved problem of things falling down there by getting a Tupperware container)
  • 15 spoke wheels are a stupid and take a ridiculous amount of time to thoroughly clean
  • Creaky suspension
  • Car says Low Battery after a very short time - last night it did it after 15 minutes (headlights were on though).
  • Some of your ford dealers are really impolite/don't fix anything
I would say you nailed my complaints perfectly. I have really acute hearing and though most people don't hear anything, the vibrations and rattles KILL ME. I am pretty damn sure if I take the car in and say there are intermittent rattles they would take the car on a test drive and say they heard nothing. My biggest complaint.

I'm not used to hearing what sounds like the struts clunk around so much on a car though I trust that it is fine as it seems others have this same issue.

I'm disappointed with the DCT's sluggishness. I've always had the impression that dual clutches were fast and crisp shifts but 95% of my driving with the Focus says its worse than a traditional slushbox. Shifting up when i'm accelerating on a uphill on ramp is about the only time I get nice shifts. If I was to spend money on an upgrade anywhere to the car, I'd put my money in a transmission chip (if anyone ever makes one).
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #38
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
This isn't all that unexpected. In the JD Power Initial Quality Survey, most brands hover around an average of 1 problem/car, and Ford was at 1.18 for MY2012.

(Sadly, Ford was at 0.93 in MY2010).
The problem with the JD Power survey is that the results include complaints on the MFT from people who are 'technology challenged' and from people who think the DCT should act like a pure automatic. From those of us who know exactly what we're getting and know the gear changes won't be transparent and know the MFT will take a learning curve, then this car is a gem, plain and simple.

I used to hate when I'd read articles on the car where people would get into it for the first time and complain that they could operate the MFT flawlessly. Yeah, it takes a few days to understand how to voice the commands and how to navigate around. And for those 'technically challenged', there's always the manual way.

So forget the JD Powers survey....this is a great car!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPopNC View Post

I used to hate when I'd read articles on the car where people would get into it for the first time and complain that they could operate the MFT flawlessly. Yeah, it takes a few days to understand how to voice the commands and how to navigate around. And for those 'technically challenged', there's always the manual way.
You sound like the service people at the dealer I took my focus to to get the compass fixed. Initially they were all like "Yea there is a steep learning curve on the MFT system we get a lot of people that just don't know how to use it" implying that I was one of those people, I'm extremely technologically savvy however. Then after 45 minutes of looking at the car they informed me that they would need to replace the gps unit (can't remember if they did the whole mft system) and that my car would need to be in the shop for 3 friggin' days.

I'll give them the time I went in for the battery draining, since nothing was wrong with the car apparently (though 15 minutes of music on a charge is pretty pitiful), they should have given cars with the MFT system an up-rated battery since it apparently draws about 1000% more power than a normal car.

I love my Focus, its great fun to drive, the mpgs are amazing, and the cai makes it sound awesome. I just have to keep reminding myself I bought a Ford, not a BMW or Merc, I also have to realize I got my car for 18k, which is a hell of a deal for the gadgetry. I suppose I just grew up on cars with better build quality than ford is accustomed to... Now my family has had 6 Fords and a Lincoln over the last couple years, I can see the build quality of my focus is pretty much on par with the others (though the Lincoln is better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by malinowski View Post
I would say you nailed my complaints perfectly. I have really acute hearing and though most people don't hear anything, the vibrations and rattles KILL ME. I am pretty damn sure if I take the car in and say there are intermittent rattles they would take the car on a test drive and say they heard nothing. My biggest complaint.

I'm not used to hearing what sounds like the struts clunk around so much on a car though I trust that it is fine as it seems others have this same issue.
Exactly, Sounds bug the crap out of me and the dealer can't hear them, and my friends all think I'm nuts for caring. It's like, my father had a 2010 Fusion Sport I was looking at buying from him before I got the focus, but driving around it in I heard this awful clicking noise when the fan/AC was one, I assume it was the blower motor but neither my father, nor the dealer could hear it when we went in to have them fix it under warranty (that might be directly related to old ears vs. young ears though). Had I bought the car I would have replaced the motor myself in hopes that was it but there was no way I could drive that Fusion Sport day-in day-out with such a awful noise.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
^I agree on the bad service voting.

When I bring my car in for weird noises, everything is normal, but as soon as I hit 50k miles, they start sending me mail about how my car is "overdue" for its "maintenance" that they want to charge me $500 for - I bet they don't grease a single joint/bushing (not that there are even greaseable zerks on new cars anymore).
My service experiences have been outstanding. Ford service here in Winston-Salem, NC has been excellent. Maybe it's because they service Lincoln there as well, but I'll take it (and enjoy it) everyday!

Bookmarks & Social Networks