Titanium 17" Alloys and Brake Dust - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Titanium 17" Alloys and Brake Dust

I am noticing a lot of brake dust, kinda reminds me of VW, Audi and other German makes. What are you using to protect the alloys which are a PITA to clean with all those spokes. I know from experience if this isn't removed, pitting can form that is irreversible.

I heard Adam's Machine Wax works great and their associated wheel cleaner product works well, but they are both $29 each.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've always just thrown on whatever wax I used on the paint. It seems to work well enough for the wheels on the cars I've detailed (I've been using Meguiers Gold Plus wax lately), but I'm no expert and there might be better wax out there.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I recommend Sonax wheel cleaner. It is by far the best to remove anything caked or baked on. If not, Chemical Guys all purpose cleaner is pretty good. A pressure washer helps as well. For protection, I recommend spraying and wiping them down with a spray wax like Chemical Guys hybrid v7. There's also Chemical guys wheel guard wax. If you want, PM me about anything you want and I'll get you quotes shipped.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Twitchboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95777
What I Drive: 2012 metallic gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Twitchboy Good Standing Member
POWER WASH the hell out of your wheels first!!!!!! then use some sort of wheel cleaner or even some bycycle chain degreaser that you get from a bike shop or hardware store use teh degreaser to get rid of the gunk on there then apply a silicone based was called NU SHINE. NU SHINE is a silicone polymer that will make the wheel super smooth like a regular wax but wil lleave a protected silicone coating on top of the wheel that will last for a year. It wont be as "shiny" as other waxes but it will stay smooth so gunk fall soff of it easier trhus making it easier to maintain its clean appearance.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
And switch to ceramic pads when they are due and you'll really reduce braske dust.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Stream
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114682
What I Drive: 2013 SE sedan Ingot Silver Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 Stream Good Standing Member
RejeX is the perfect product for this:
http://www.rejex.com/

Once applied the surface is sealed and very slick, so you'll find less brake dust sticking, and cleaning much easier.

It was developed for high temp applications. Since the wheels get pretty hot, most wax won't last very long.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->