Adding cruse control to a 2009 SE - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
nathanscottdaniels
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115886
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 nathanscottdaniels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Adding cruse control to a 2009 SE

Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 Focus SE and I wish to add cruise control to it. It's something I've been sorely missing for four long years now. I found a kit made by Rostra for about $250 and it looks like it would work but I'm not too thrilled with adding third party systems to my car.

There seems to be a rumor going around that all I (being the owner of a Focus made between '08 and '11) need to do is buy a Focus steering wheel that has the cruise control buttons, get the car's computer reset by a dealer, and magically cruise control will be working. This option is much more desirable to me than the aftermarket system.

I searched through this forum at length and found quite a few references to this scenario. Most were saying it would work fine but many were saying it would NOT work and would be a waste of a $300 wheel. So here I am posing a new topic hoping to get a straight answer from, hopefully, someone that has done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
I have not done it but I was told by Steve at Autonation Ford (formerly known as Tousley Ford) that this was true. You buy the wheel and flash the computer. With the 08+ foci being drive by wire the throttle is controlled electronically so all it needs is the wheel controls to tell the computer what to do instead of your foot. If you were talking about a mechanical throttle system this would not be so easy.

I haven't done it myself yet due to the cost and I wouldn't use cruise much anyways. Someday I'll probably do it though.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "MK2 Focus".
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
DJFreshlySnipes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99868
What I Drive: 09' Focus Coupe (Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 DJFreshlySnipes Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bile0026 View Post
I have not done it but I was told by Steve at Autonation Ford (formerly known as Tousley Ford) that this was true. You buy the wheel and flash the computer. With the 08+ foci being drive by wire the throttle is controlled electronically so all it needs is the wheel controls to tell the computer what to do instead of your foot. If you were talking about a mechanical throttle system this would not be so easy.

I haven't done it myself yet due to the cost and I wouldn't use cruise much anyways. Someday I'll probably do it though.
I am trying to do the same thing. Let me know If you find a good solution.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
nathanscottdaniels
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115886
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 nathanscottdaniels Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFreshlySnipes View Post
I am trying to do the same thing. Let me know If you find a good solution.
I've called 6 dealers around here looking for an estimate on how much it would cost to install a new steering wheel and not a single one has answered or returned my call. I've tried each one at least twice now. I originally thought I could do it myself but several people I spoke to advised against it. Once I finally get a response from them, I will let you know.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
most dealers dont think outside the box they arent trained or versed in such things LOL! It's like asking them what the square root of 45 is.........if there is a such a thing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks