SVT Stumble off corner - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
banditracer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82009
What I Drive: 00 ZX2

FF Reputation: 1 banditracer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT Stumble off corner

Recently my circle track SVt was wrecked hard in the rear and front. Body shop had to replace one rear frame rail, quarter panel, and trunk floor. They were able to pull the front frame horns back to near normal. We run a fuel cell with the stock pump and canister. We had to replace the fuel cell also.

While running the car, after getting back on the gas exiting a turn, the car stumbles, pops, hesitates for several feet and then runs normal, pulls all the way down the straight and into the corner. Pulls fine off one corner but not the next. (Same corner at 2 different tracks) No CEL codes.. We replaced the fuel pump. Still does it.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
did your wreck occur anywhere near the fuel pump area? in other words is there anything else that could possibly be causing the issue like crushed lines or an electrical connection that may touch the frame rail as your cornering hard?
I know you said you replaced the pump but that is the exact 100 percent problems I had with my 2001 ZX 3 in hard cornering and it was always specific corner direction...right if i recall. When you enter the corner you're starving the pump and then on the next corner you have enough to get through but then starvation occurs for the next corner. Sound about right?
My 130 am thoughts lol.

Air fuel gauge?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Sounds like fuel starve. Might need some baffles in the fuel cell to prevent.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I would also guess your starving for fuel , did you change the fuel cell design , maybe the cannister is in a diff location now , not sitting as low in the fuel etc ?

If your racing the SVT I am guessing you have a tune in it , do a datalog and see if the fuel psi is falling off

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
banditracer
Focus Rookie

Apparently when the front frame horns bent, spot welds were broken causing intermittent ground problems. Starter wouldn't crank at times either. Engine was grounded directly to passenger strut tower. So I ran another ground from strut tower to drivers side rail and problem went away. Found the starter ground wire(in same location) had pulled loose from connector causing the intermittent fail to crank problem. Runs and drives great now. Last week the engine died while loading on the trailer. Found it was getting only 4-7 psi file pressure after start up. CEL was for the FPDM. Replaced it and won the feature.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Electrical !!!!
Points for me :-)

Congrats on your feature too !
That's great !
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
banditracer
Focus Rookie

Its back.... Did it again last night while racing. Went over every ground from the battery on up. No CEL codes. Nothing obvious. No bare wires grounding. Only does it at WOT.
Coil/ignition?
The fuel cell is exactly the same as the previous one and it has worked fine for weeks now. The gages seem to retain function when it happens.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
daytonmvp23
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111415
What I Drive: 2004,Pitch Black, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 daytonmvp23 Good Standing Member
I would suggest doing a voltage drop test with the engine running on all the major grounding points. And also checking the voltage drop at the alternator and fuel pump harnesses and checking the ground wire from the fuel pump
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
banditracer
Focus Rookie

Will try that again. First time around all was normal while idling and even during revs while sitting still. Runs fine at part throttle on track. Just WOT. Seems like after it gets warm?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
daytonmvp23
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111415
What I Drive: 2004,Pitch Black, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 daytonmvp23 Good Standing Member
Hmm have you put it on a diagnostic to see what everything is doing? For basic diagnosing I like EASYOBD or wOBD free programs and a 5 dollar CAN-USB or Bluetooth OBDII adapter and you are set. Both programs let you see the trim, voltage, and flow levels. If you have a more detailed tuner data recorder even better. I would record a typical run with the tuner/recorder and see if you see anything weird in the data. I also would make a video the same time you are data recording so you can use the video and audio to quickly find the times it acts up and just look at the data during that time frame.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->