Preparing for '01 SPI to Zetec swap - a few questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Some Guy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116326
What I Drive: 2001 SPI turd

FF Reputation: 1 Some Guy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Preparing for '01 SPI to Zetec swap - a few questions

Hello - New guy here and what better way to say hi than jump in with both feet....

So I'm getting ready to swap a Zetec into my mom's 01 SPI. It has suffered the same fate as many others. Initially she was going to sell the car to a salvage yard because she couldn't afford to fix it, but I offered to do the work after hearing that, and after countless hours reading up on the Zetec swap, I have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they are answered somewhere in the threads I read, but I'm at information overload and there is some conflicting info out there...

So I have a few questions - Doing a Zetec swap on an '01 SPI - Auto to Auto swap

Do I need to change the dash harness? If so, why and what years? Or do I just make sure my motor, harnes and ECU are all from the same donor?

Is the auto in the SPI and Zetec the same? If so, do I need the Zetec flex plate and tranny harness? Reading up, there appears to be an additional sensor on the Zetec, so the flex plate is needed?

Guy at one junk yard told me their were 4 variations of the auto so I would need to swap the pair in. This doesn't match up with what I have read though.....Thoughts?

I'm pretty capable and don't have any concers about being able to do the swap. My real concern is making sure I have everything needed without buying anything extra. My mom lives 200 miles away, so I'll probaby be trailering the car to my house and doing the work, but I'm hunting for parts now and want to get everything I can before hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
DerbyCityGinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106672
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 DerbyCityGinger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Guy at one junk yard told me their were 4 variations of the auto so I would need to swap the pair in. This doesn't match up with what I have read though.....Thoughts?
I don't know if its even an option but do not swap a 4F27E automatic in there. From my own experience it is terrible. I've had it rebuilt once at about 60k or 70k and now at 100k its starting to have the same problem.

Maybe I'm just an exception but I've heard a couple people have the same issues shifting into 3rd.

Take it with a grain a salt though because I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

Points 13,433, Level 75
Points: 13,433, Level: 75 Points: 13,433, Level: 75 Points: 13,433, Level: 75
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well i know for the dash wiring harness is you have to find one around the same year... meaning you cant cross over the 02.5 threshold... if you do than you have to do the dash harness

as far as the auto idk...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 28,946, Level 99
Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yes auto to auto your fine. Yes, you will need zetec flexplate. Trans harness are the same if you do a 01 to 02 zetec swap you will not need the dash harness. You will need the harness that goes from the engine to ecu to fuel pump.

If you take the passenger wheel off remove the plastic wheel liner, pull the passenger seat, rear seat, and pull up the carpet you can gain access to the whole harness.

Here is my write up for it. I have more pics that I didn't can't a chance to add and everything you need or don't need for the swap should all be listed(except zetec flexplate). If you read though the post some of your other questions maybe answered, other wise feel free to ask.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4336361
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Some Guy
Focus Rookie

Thank you both.

As for the tranny, The only number I have found for the auto is the 4f27e.....but it looks like my donor car has a bad auto anyways, so I may have a spare to rebuild if needed.

So since my donor is '01 and so is my car, dash wiring won't need to be changed?????That would be good news...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Some Guy
Focus Rookie

Thank you Glass Maker. I'll be scouring your write up as I go. Great info!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 28,946, Level 99
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Thank you both.

As for the tranny, The only number I have found for the auto is the 4f27e.....but it looks like my donor car has a bad auto anyways, so I may have a spare to rebuild if needed.

So since my donor is '01 and so is my car, dash wiring won't need to be changed?????That would be good news...
That's correct don't need to change the dash harness.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Some Guy
Focus Rookie

harness help

So I have brought the car home and have it almost torn down. I pulled the motor and decided I'll pull the tranny to. I think that will be easier to put it all back together as one package rather than tyring to marry it up in the car.

I pulled all of the harnes except for the fuel pump portion one one section by the driver side dash. Just when you think you almost have it, there seems to be ssomething more to pull to get to it.

I have a small lead going from the harness near the fuse panel up the A pillar on the driver side kick panel. I think it has 5 wires in it. There is a connector in the middle of the A pillar, but fishing it down behind the dash seems to be a major pain. Anyone have any tricks for getting this out? For whatever reason, I do not want to cut the harness and splice it later, but this lead runs in a plastic channel (similiar the what the harness runs through under the door openins, only smaller) and it's turning out to be quite the challenge.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Some Guy
Focus Rookie

And one more issue I may need some guidance on -

Apparently ABS was an option on this year of car (01). My car does not have ABS but the donor car does. Anyone have any experience with this? If I do not connect any ABS sensors etc, will there be any problems? The other possibility is I may have to swap in all the ABS components.....that would certainly be a task, so I'm hoping I can just ignore it, but I'm not sure how this will work with the new computer. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 28,946, Level 99
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
That's a good question. I'll try to look it up, to get you a answer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks