08-SYNC steering wheel volume buttons stopped working - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
t2fuller
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59543
Location: Vicksburg, MI
What I Drive: 2008 Red SES Sedan

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 t2fuller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
08-SYNC steering wheel volume buttons stopped working

Greetings! I have an interesting problem for everyone to chew on. First though, I'll give my specs: 2008 (MK2) Focus SES sedan with SYNC (Gen1 v2.1) and 70k miles. I've been very happy with the vehicle, and with SYNC as well. I have not done any modifications (besides the original dealer installing an aftermarket satellite radio receiver shortly after purchase).

Now to my problem. I first noticed this issue a few months back, where the volume and media control buttons on the right side of my steering wheel would stop working intermittently. Sometimes the volume buttons would do nothing at all; and sometimes their function seemed to be confused with the media (back/next) buttons right below them. In any case the issue was temporary, so I didn't do much about it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when the volume buttons permanently stopped working. I gave them a few days to come back to life, but they were gone for good this time.

Being the most often used buttons on my steering wheel, I assumed that the buttons had simply worn out. I decided to replace them, and purchased a new OEM button cluster (both cruise control and SYNC media buttons come in one unit) from a dealer. I replaced them quickly with the help of this guide, put everything back together, fired her up....and the volume buttons STILL do not work! The exact same problem still exists. At least I now have some nice, un-worn buttons...

So - what else could be causing two physical buttons in the unit to fail like this? A problem with a single wire somewhere? A blown fuse? A SYNC software problem? Obviously it is further "up the chain" from the steering wheel. I know the steering wheel controls are more of a convenience than anything else, but I would love to figure this problem out. I am willing to take it to the dealer if necessary but the problem solver in me wants to figure this mystery out before resorting to that. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

PS - Please let me know if this post could be better categorized in a different area of the forum.

Thanks!
Tim


t2fuller is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
SESRob
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84340
Location: Maple Ridge, Canada
What I Drive: 2009 Black Focus SES

Posts: 21
FF Reputation: 1 SESRob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't know if this will do anything, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins (reset everything)?
SESRob is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
t2fuller
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59543
Location: Vicksburg, MI
What I Drive: 2008 Red SES Sedan

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 t2fuller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESRob View Post
I don't know if this will do anything, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins (reset everything)?
Yes, disconnecting the battery was part of replacing the buttons - since I was messing around near the airbag I disconnected it. Perhaps it wasn't for long enough though, as my radio presets, etc. were saved even after that. I was also considering doing a master reset in SYNC, though I am not really sure what that does (better go read up).

Thanks!
t2fuller is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
 
FordIVTteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87765
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 902
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2fuller View Post
Yes, disconnecting the battery was part of replacing the buttons - since I was messing around near the airbag I disconnected it. Perhaps it wasn't for long enough though, as my radio presets, etc. were saved even after that. I was also considering doing a master reset in SYNC, though I am not really sure what that does (better go read up).

Thanks!
Hey, t2fuller!

A master reset will set all of your SYNC settings back to factory defaults and delete your phone. It should also get the buttons working again if it's a SYNC related concern. Here are the instructions:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

You can also do a three minute fuse pull; for your vehicle, it'll be number 13. Make sure your vehicle is off and keys are out of the ignition. If that doesn't correct the issue, please make an appointment with your dealer for a more thorough inspection. Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca
__________________
FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
t2fuller
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59543
Location: Vicksburg, MI
What I Drive: 2008 Red SES Sedan

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 t2fuller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi Rebecca, thanks for your reply!

I did try the master reset a few days back, which did not resolve the issue. I'll try the fuse pull just to make sure. I'll report back once I have time to do that.

Thanks again for the tips.
Tim
t2fuller is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
 
FordIVTteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87765
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 902
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No problem, Tim! I look forward to your update.

Rebecca
__________________
FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
bdeditch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57294
Location: Californai
What I Drive: 2008 Ice blue SE

Posts: 38
FF Reputation: 1 bdeditch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2fuller View Post
Greetings! I have an interesting problem for everyone to chew on. First though, I'll give my specs: 2008 (MK2) Focus SES sedan with SYNC (Gen1 v2.1) and 70k miles. I've been very happy with the vehicle, and with SYNC as well. I have not done any modifications (besides the original dealer installing an aftermarket satellite radio receiver shortly after purchase).

Now to my problem. I first noticed this issue a few months back, where the volume and media control buttons on the right side of my steering wheel would stop working intermittently. Sometimes the volume buttons would do nothing at all; and sometimes their function seemed to be confused with the media (back/next) buttons right below them. In any case the issue was temporary, so I didn't do much about it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when the volume buttons permanently stopped working. I gave them a few days to come back to life, but they were gone for good this time.

Being the most often used buttons on my steering wheel, I assumed that the buttons had simply worn out. I decided to replace them, and purchased a new OEM button cluster (both cruise control and SYNC media buttons come in one unit) from a dealer. I replaced them quickly with the help of this guide, put everything back together, fired her up....and the volume buttons STILL do not work! The exact same problem still exists. At least I now have some nice, un-worn buttons...

So - what else could be causing two physical buttons in the unit to fail like this? A problem with a single wire somewhere? A blown fuse? A SYNC software problem? Obviously it is further "up the chain" from the steering wheel. I know the steering wheel controls are more of a convenience than anything else, but I would love to figure this problem out. I am willing to take it to the dealer if necessary but the problem solver in me wants to figure this mystery out before resorting to that. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

PS - Please let me know if this post could be better categorized in a different area of the forum.

Thanks!
Tim
I have the exact same problem now, but what I had to do was replace my radio/cd. I purchased the exact radio IDS from a dealer off of ebay. The CD would not load or eject a disc. All of it works fine, except now the exact same 2 buttons are not working for me as well. I know when I checked the configuration on this new radio, they are not like the old one, could have something to do with that.
bdeditch is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
t2fuller
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59543
Location: Vicksburg, MI
What I Drive: 2008 Red SES Sedan

Posts: 6
FF Reputation: 1 t2fuller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi all,

It's been a while but I wanted to provide an update on my problem. First, I did try the fuse pull that Rebecca suggested, but in my case that did not solve the problem. I had my local dealer take a look today, and they found that the corresponding wiring harness at the back of the radio stack was loose. Reconnecting that solved the issue.

So, a simple solution after all. I believe the original dealer (if anyone) might be to blame for the loose harness, as they had to add an aftermarket Sirius receiver after I purchased the car and were probably messing around back there to do that. And the potholes helped over time I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone for your time and ideas. Hope this might help someone else in the future!

Tim
t2fuller is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
 
FordIVTteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87765
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 902
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Glad it's working now, Tim! :)

Rebecca
__________________
FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.