can I get a low-tech ST - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center

Ford Focus Purchasing Center Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
turbodt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116293
What I Drive: 2002 Silver WRX sedan

FF Reputation: 1 turbodt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
can I get a low-tech ST

That is to say I'd like an ST for a daily driver, but I don't need the extra bells and whistles of option packages. Dealers seem to be getting loaded models, which I'm not interested in. Also what can be done about the standard tires? I need a very good all-season tire. What can I do?
thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodt View Post
That is to say I'd like an ST for a daily driver, but I don't need the extra bells and whistles of option packages. Dealers seem to be getting loaded models, which I'm not interested in. Also what can be done about the standard tires? I need a very good all-season tire. What can I do?
thanks
Yes you can either find an ST1, have the dealer find one, or order one from Ford through the dealer and wait for it to be built.

As to tires you can either keep the stock wheels and sell the tires for some all seasons, or buy different wheels and get snow tires mounted for the winter months.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
turbodt
Focus Rookie

thanks suss,
just what I was hoping for.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
NYFocusST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116151
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 NYFocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm the proud owner of a ST1 or a base model ST. It is perfect for me. I like the technology in my wifes 12 Focus SE but really didn't want or need anymore than that. So when I saw the ST1 and how it was basically like a regular focus techology wise I was very pleased. Plus with all the glitches the MFT seems to have and alot of people seem to complain about it I'm glad I couldn't afford the ST2,3 models. Plus I think the base model seats are better suited for my wife and I.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
turbodt
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFocusST View Post
I'm the proud owner of a ST1 or a base model ST. It is perfect for me. I like the technology in my wifes 12 Focus SE but really didn't want or need anymore than that. So when I saw the ST1 and how it was basically like a regular focus techology wise I was very pleased. Plus with all the glitches the MFT seems to have and alot of people seem to complain about it I'm glad I couldn't afford the ST2,3 models. Plus I think the base model seats are better suited for my wife and I.
Thank you for the input, NYFST. Will you tell me what the ownership experience has been like? My current car deserves to be replaced by nothing less than a fun-to-drive-but-trouble-free vehicle. I imagine almost anything would be an improvement in the mpg department (my latest tank yielded just shy of 17 mpg on average, but it's been pretty warm here recently). Going from AWD to FWD is something I'm a bit concerned about too. Where I live you can't get anywhere without encountering a road grade that would cause trouble in inclement weather. Do you put on a set of snow tires in winter? I get by on high performance all season tires now; very good wet and dry traction and braking, but pretty good in light snow too. Roads get cleared pretty quickly here so no need for dedicated snow tires with the extra traction of AWD, so far.

Also, I have to admit that the new VW GTi Mk7 looks to be a pretty good step up from the Mk6, so far as running gear technology, power and handling are concerned. But I don't want problems, and the GTi is not rated as the most reliable car out there, even at it's premium pricing, while the Focus ST appears to be pretty solid. I haven't bought American in nearly four decades, but the ST has my attention.

So tell me what you can about life with your car, and especially any issues you've had with it. I have read that the tranny can be a bit clunky in 1st. Have you encountered this? I wonder if Ford has done anything to improve that for the '14 model.

thank you again for your input,
Darryl
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
NYFocusST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116151
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 NYFocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
turbodt I can't tell you about winter driving because I just bought my ST in April. I did just buy some barely used Michelin snow tires. I'm coming from a 4wd truck and my wife had a AWD vehicle as well. But from what I have read on the ST forums is the ST does very well in the snow as long as you have really good snow tires. The ST seems to be on a very reliable platform. None of the techology is new. They have been using the 2.0l ecoboost motor in Europe for a couple years now. Just like the Sync program and such. The ST is new to America but not new to the world market. I'm a true blue Ford guy so I was a bit bias'd in my decision to buy a ST over a Mazda or the GTI. I haven't had any problems what so ever so far. But I only have about 3600 miles so far. I did own a 2005 Focus ST brand new and had 50k trouble free miles with that car before I traded it. As far as the transmission goes mine shifts like butter no problems there. I did just recently install the Steeda short throw shifter bracket and I love the short throws but there is some extra effort to put the car into each gear now. I guess there are always trade offs. I'm getting use to the extra effort into shifting now. Oh yeah and the most important part. The fun to drive ratio in this car is very high. Actually the 05 Focus ZX4 ST I owned was a really fun car to drive and it wasn't turbo charged. The ST has raised the fun factor to a whole new level. I look for reasons to drive my car all the time now. Having enough money to put 93 octane gas into the tank is my biggest problem now. LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

Points 372, Level 7
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
I have seen this as well. Most of the dealers around here all have the fully loaded ST's and want 27-28k depending. There have been a few ST's just sitting at one dealer now for a few months, they haven't moved any of them.

Keep in mind that the 2014 GTI won't be available in the states probably until spring of 2014. The Mexican plant isn't due to be ramped up until sometime in the 1st quarter of 2014.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
turbodt
Focus Rookie

Perhaps most of the dealers wanted to sell only fully-loaded STs. I must admit I found the Recaros to be a bit "snug", and preferred the standard seats. So, I did something I could not predict. Somehow I wound up with A 2013 VW Golf R, the AWD version of the GTI, with a slightly more powerful engine. It's not an ST in terms of power, but I really like it as a nice-handling driver's car with lots of creature comforts compared to my old Grease-Slapper. It even comes standard with high-performance all-season tires (though mine came with the lesser-performing Dunlops). It's otherwise fully loaded, and so several grand more than the ST (MSRP). So I'm still in an AWD vehicle that happens to be a step up in refinement. Being a 4-dr hatchback, it's already made hauling stuff easier. I am concerned that it, being a VW may not be the most reliable thing out there, relative to my old Subie, and it's come as a surprise that I see so many of these for sale on the classifieds forum of VW fan sites, especially considering that the model only made it's return to this market in late 2011 as a 2012. That can't be good (can it?). At least the engine is well-built and a simple Stage-1 ecu reflash will put it over 300hp. In for a penny, in for a pound, as the Brits say. Did I mention that it's a stealthy car? Looks like a regular Golf at first glance. I almost didn't see one on the lot, and it was parked next to a GTi.
Long live the Thunderbolt_Grease-Slapper, and hail to the Black Mamba! (wish me luck, guys)
darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunderbolt_Grease-Slapper.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	18850  

Name:	The Black Mamba1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	18851  

Name:	The Black Mamba! at the overlook 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	18852  

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,268, Level 72
Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Looks great Daryl. Like the bug eye too. Throw a stage 1 tune & have fun auto crossing it.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
turbodt
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Looks great Daryl. Like the bug eye too. Throw a stage 1 tune & have fun auto crossing it.
thanks Bruce,
It will be interesting to see how the R does in auto-X, since it's traction control can only be partially disabled. Getting the tail-out is not as easy as I've read the ST can do. Plus, it takes two shifts to reach 60 MPH! The Grease-Slapper, with it's 5-speed could wind past 60 all day in 2nd, but this car's 6-speed has some really sort legs. I've read this hinders 0-60 by 1/4 second. But I'm not complaining. I'm a type-A driver who enjoys going from point-A to point-B as much as arriving at a destination. The tranny shifts very slick too, btw.
darryl

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.