No Parking - Tail - License Tag Lights - Fuse blows - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
FocusFactorDave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37073
What I Drive: '07 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 FocusFactorDave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I checked out all the wiring again in the trunk and its all neatly wrapped up and has all type of protection, chance of there being a broken wire in there is slim to none, in my opinion. There is a bit of corrosion I didn't notice last time, but not where it makes contact with the bulb, but the part thats connected to the plastic.

Do you know if it matters which way the bulb sits in there?

(EDIT) I tore it all apart, and re cleaned with a dremel tool and some alcohol after and cleaned up the bulbs with some aswell and reinstalled and tried the right side first, was ok.. so I decided to be brave and try the left side again which is a bit more corroded in the inside of the connector from the trunk, but it seems to be alright now.. Nothing really changed besides maybe a little dust and fuzzys. So hopefully the junkyard will take this switch back since I guess I dont need it...

If first you don't succeed... try again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Green corrosion can conduct electricity. In this case that would cause a short blowing the fuse.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
FocusFactorDave
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Green corrosion can conduct electricity. In this case that would cause a short blowing the fuse.
I tried to pop them connects out of the plastic housing but they wouldn't budge so I jammed my dremel tool sanding bit in there to get as much as I could.

I would think any corrosion in that area would of been harmless though since its only touching plastic
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Corrosion breeds more corrosion. Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and a brush.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
FocusFactorDave
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Corrosion breeds more corrosion. Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and a brush.
Had to go on a late night run last night for baby formula and on the way home my fuse blew again :| so am going to go out and try to find some electrical cleaner as mentioned, a quick google search i found a handful of expensive cans and ran across this one at home depot for 3$

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-...4#.UdBOCDtOPVc
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #36
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusFactorDave View Post
Had to go on a late night run last night for baby formula and on the way home my fuse blew again :| so am going to go out and try to find some electrical cleaner as mentioned, a quick google search i found a handful of expensive cans and ran across this one at home depot for 3$

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-...4#.UdBOCDtOPVc
Hmmm, I followed the link and I would stay away from any electrical cleaner labeled as a lubricant. I would look for something that dries leaving no residue. That said I would not be against using some dielectric grease.

While cleaning corrosion from electrical contacts IS ALWAYS a good thing and should be done, you may still have an issue elsewhere. If the issue has changed from a constant short to an intermittent short it will be harder to find.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #37
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

I would use something along these lines:

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=03070
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
FocusFactorDave
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I would use something along these lines:

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=03070
was consdering that aswell, but im always down to save a buck, but being that is available less than a mile away ill go with that instead of running out to ace hardware, I found two different kinds of that CRC at advance auto,

One is safe for plastic parts and also states - A petroleum distillates and alcohol blended precision cleaner designed as an alternative to CFC based cleaners. Cleans contacts, connectors and sensitive electronic equipment. Quick drying, plastic safe formula.
Cleans and protects sensitive electronic equipment
Helps prevent contact failure
Plastic safe
Leaves no residue
Quick drying formula http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=crc

then theres this one that states - An aggressive cleaner specifically for electric motors, transformers and machinery. Dissolves grease, oil, dirt and wax without having to remove parts - and is http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=crc

Wasn't able to find the same cleaner you mentioned locally. Also what kind of brush would you recommend? Not able to find any brushes besides ones that are like tooth brushes which I don't think would fit in the little contacts

Thanks for your help Milton
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #39
FocusFactorDave
Focus Enthusiast

that electric contact cleaner didn't do anything at all to the corrosion on the terminals, so I tried to sand em down a bit and sprayed that stuff on it since it says it helps protect, if I blow another fuse Ima end up taking off the connector and replacing it

Bookmarks & Social Networks