new guy debating Focus/Civic/Corolla - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
LDB415
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116174
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE Bordeaux Reserve

FF Reputation: 1 LDB415 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The dealer I'd like to do business with has one hb 5 spd in stock with no options. I may go tomorrow and see what happens. It's supposed to have $3000 off from Ford according to Edmunds.com and I also get another $500 for AQHA membership. That makes it very appealing price wise, if I can get a decent trade. They did really good for me on a trade many years ago so I'm going to play the returning customer card too, not that it's really worth anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB415 View Post
The dealer I'd like to do business with has one hb 5 spd in stock with no options. I may go tomorrow and see what happens. It's supposed to have $3000 off from Ford according to Edmunds.com and I also get another $500 for AQHA membership. That makes it very appealing price wise, if I can get a decent trade. They did really good for me on a trade many years ago so I'm going to play the returning customer card too, not that it's really worth anything.
If you can find/afford one with some options, go for it. You will be much happier if you do, opposed to kicking yourself like many people on this forum for not springing the few extra bucks for nicer wheels, fog lights, auto up/down windows, and so on.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
If you read through this forum, you're going to read a lot about the DCT automatic transmission. Keep in mind, though, that on a board like this, you're only going to hear about the problems. There were assembly defects in the early 2012s, and Ford has refined the clutch design and the software several times. It is a new technology for Ford, and it's not surprising to see problems in the initial model year.

With the latest builds and TSBs, they seem to have things under control (judging by the rate of new threads/posts about transmission problems in the 2013s). If you want an automatic, I would give it a comprehensive test-drive to see what you think. Keep in mind that a lot of people on this board are "driving enthusiasts" and likely wouldn't be satisfied with anything short of the automatic they put in a Porsche (which is why Ford released the ST).

I have a 2013 SE sedan with the DCT automatic and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It's great on gas, comfortable and fun to drive, looks sharp, and the value for what I paid can't be beat.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Focus handling... is hard to compare to.

These things will cut up corners around all kinds of other, more expensive vehicles. I've auto-crossed against them; hell, find the same stretch of twisty road with the car's in question: the feel is soooo much better in the Focus.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'd suggest cross-referencing pricing on Truecar.com, that's a helpful benchmark (note the current format is for 2014, so might sure to hit 2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm considering a new car and the suspect list is the Focus SE, Civic LX and Corolla S. The Focus has far better incentives than the other two and similar overall specs and equipment. Money talks so I'm leaning toward the Focus. My plan is to drive whatever I get for 13 years until my grandson gets his license and then give it to him.
Obviously we're all biased towards the Focus in here. I'm a huge fan of US News Rankings site for cars HERE for unbiased reviews. The site compiles all of the professional reviews from the likes of Car & Driver, Motortrend, Edmunds, etc. and averages out the scores. It lists the pros and cons of each car. The Focus is #2 behind the Mazda3. Focus is also awarded with 'best compact car for the money'. The Civic is a respectable #9. The Corolla is a dismal #38 out of 39 affordable small cars. I have a 2003 Corolla with 208,000 miles on it and still love it. I wouldn't buy one today though with how the tide has changed in the small car market. In 2002 I didn't give the Focus a second of thought when deciding which car to buy. But three weeks ago I just bought a 2013 Focus and couldn't be happier. I did buy the manual transmission though as I love stick shift and didn't want the worries of the DCT issues. The Civic is a great choice too as long as you get the 2013 revamped 9th generation model and not the 2012 horribly reviewed model for cheap interior and lazy handling. Consumer Reports even removed the 2012 Civic from it's 'recommended' list, it was that bad! Have you considered the Fiesta as well? A great economy car I had as a loaner for a weekend and liked as much as my Focus! The Fit and Elantra are also worth a look in my opinion. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much car you need. Definitely use Truecar.com though and your local dealership's Internet Sales department to get the best price on any car. I saved 25% on my new Focus by doing this and not haggling at all. Hope you find the right car for you!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
If you read through this forum, you're going to read a lot about the DCT automatic transmission. Keep in mind, though, that on a board like this, you're only going to hear about the problems. There were assembly defects in the early 2012s, and Ford has refined the clutch design and the software several times. It is a new technology for Ford, and it's not surprising to see problems in the initial model year.

With the latest builds and TSBs, they seem to have things under control (judging by the rate of new threads/posts about transmission problems in the 2013s). If you want an automatic, I would give it a comprehensive test-drive to see what you think. Keep in mind that a lot of people on this board are "driving enthusiasts" and likely wouldn't be satisfied with anything short of the automatic they put in a Porsche (which is why Ford released the ST).

I have a 2013 SE sedan with the DCT automatic and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It's great on gas, comfortable and fun to drive, looks sharp, and the value for what I paid can't be beat.
I dunno, there seem to be a fair number of DCT complaints from 2013 owners, too. I accept that this board is not a good cross-section of owners and people may gravitate here if they have problems. On the other hand, look at any other car-specific board and you rarely find transmission complaints.

As far as I'm concerned the Focus DCT is the most troublesome transmission in any new car sold in North America. I mean, how often do you see the CEO of a major car company acknowledge transmission issues to analysts as Ford's did? People waiting for DCT replacement parts because they are back-ordered isn't a great sign either.

The Focus is potentially an outstanding car, but one I won't recommend to friends because of the DCT.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
LDB415
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116174
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE Bordeaux Reserve

FF Reputation: 1 LDB415 Good Standing Member
At 1mpg/2mpg city/hwy less for the manual it would take a really really long time to use up $1200 of extra fuel ($1095+tax+financing). I think I'd go manual on the Focus and hopefully not get the one bad manual transmission they make per year. I don't think I want to go quite as small as the Fiesta. It will be only me about 98.736% of the time so anything above a 1 seater is excess but I still want to go for a little more comfortable.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm considering a new car and the suspect list is the Focus SE, Civic LX and Corolla S. The Focus has far better incentives than the other two and similar overall specs and equipment. Money talks so I'm leaning toward the Focus. My plan is to drive whatever I get for 13 years until my grandson gets his license and then give it to him.
I would exclude the Corolla, because to me it's an appliance with wheels. Very reliable, but boring beyond belief.

I don't know how much of a factor your 13-year plan should be. A lot can happen in that much time.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I love Honda.. Never owned one, but all of my friends do. I've went toe to toe against civic si's at my local drags and surprisingly I've won with only an intake.. Added an exhaust and its a no brainer.. So as far as performance and fun goes, its for sure a number one.

I browse different areas of my owners manual now and again, and I found that most of the real maintenance stuff (plugs, tranny flush etc..) happens around 100k miles... So I'm assuming Ford wants this car to last a long time, to go along with giving it to your grand child.

I am in no way biased at all towards the focus. I also own a VW and am in that scene as well. I loved the ST but did not want the insane payment at 19 years old, because I tend to mess with my cars and wanted to have so money to do so. But yeah, like everyones saying its a no brainer to go with the focus.
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS

Bookmarks & Social Networks