Creating USB drive playlists (easy instructions for MyFord and Sync systems) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
dervari
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113761
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 dervari Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
Think this would work with the MFT system? I've had issues with getting a USB drive to work with my car. Never really trouble shot it or anything though.
No problems with a USB drive on MFT here...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using FF Mobile HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
ewmaki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113651
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 ewmaki Good Standing Member
I'm probably going to be asking a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it any way. Do y'all leave your USB in your car during the day or do you take it out? I can't imagine pulling it out everyday but I could see it melting. What do you guys do?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmaki View Post
I'm probably going to be asking a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it any way. Do y'all leave your USB in your car during the day or do you take it out? I can't imagine pulling it out everyday but I could see it melting. What do you guys do?
I only take it out to edit the contents. It'll take the heat and cold just fine.

One feature I'd recommend is getting a low profile drive like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer...ds=32Gb+cruzer

2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Below are instructions for creating playlists through Windows Media Player.

Make sure the music is listed on the flash drive.
Transfer the music from the flash drive to Windows Media player in the MEDIA LIBRARY tab.
Click on PLAYLISTS, and then CREATE NEW PLAYLIST.
Go back to the Media Library and Sort the music by the file name to show the file path starting with the Flash Drive Location (E.gE:\MUSIC\MYMUSIC\...).
Select the songs that you would like to add to the playlist and drag and drop them, or right click them and send them to the correct playlist.
Once the playlist is complete, click on FILE and then SAVE PLAYLIST AS.
Click on MY COMPUTER, and then select the drive associated with the flash drive.
Change the Save As Type to Any Playlist.
Name the file and click on SAVE.
This just does not work when the music files originate in WMP on Windows 8.
I can't even sort by file name and Media Library won't transfer the files because they are on a removable drive (They originated from WMP anyway).

Has anybody gotten playlists in Win 8 WMP to work on a USB drive?

It copies all my music files and associated metadata (Album art, Artist Ect...) but the 'All Music' playlist does not even transfer as a file onto the USB drive so I have to assume that MFT is actually creating one so that it knows what is there.

I have formatted the USB drive several times in testing and right now I am going to manually copy the '.mpl' playlist files over to see if MFT can use them (or even see them) after this last sync session.

FWIW - Playlists for me are just that, lists of songs to be played, not the actual files themselves just as WMP shows them to be.

I'm going to put the playlist files in root to start, before the 'music' folder and then go from there. I will post if I have any success.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
spudhead
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111227
What I Drive: 2013 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 spudhead Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post

Creating the playlist
Free Shareware that I used (be sure to deselect all of the extra software they want to install during installation)...
http://oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

Once you have Playlist Creator installed and running on your Windows PC, plug in your USB drive and drag songs from the USB drive to the Playlist creator window. Once you have your list complete, set the Save location to the top level of the USB drive. Enter a simple file name that sync will voice-recognize easily, select .M3u as the file type and click Create Playlist. Now go test your new playlist.

I haven't tried any other folder structure but if you open the playlist created, you can see that the file locations are "relative" so I assume just about any folder structure will work.
I tried this method and got it to work. At first it did not work. You cannot save the playlist as "Relative". In Playlist Creator, hit the settings tab. Another window will pop up, then hit "Playlist details". Look under "Saving Playlist Entries" there is another sentence that says "Do you want to save the playlist absolute or relative. The default is relative so use the drop down menu and pick "absolute" not "absolute without drive".

Once this setting is changed, the directions in the quote above (which are in the first post) work like a charm
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudhead View Post
I tried this method and got it to work. At first it did not work. You cannot save the playlist as "Relative". In Playlist Creator, hit the settings tab. Another window will pop up, then hit "Playlist details". Look under "Saving Playlist Entries" there is another sentence that says "Do you want to save the playlist absolute or relative. The default is relative so use the drop down menu and pick "absolute" not "absolute without drive".

Once this setting is changed, the directions in the quote above (which are in the first post) work like a charm
Thanks, I'll update the original post with this.
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116028
What I Drive: 2013 hippopotamus color Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 j ferguson Good Standing Member
It may be that I'm retreading already covered ground, but I'm busy loading a 16 gig flashdrive with the stuff I'd like to hear in my new focus SE - nice car by the way.

I'm astonished at the artist names "Medea", the voice from the overhead is able to understand. No sweat with Django Reinhardt (D is silent) or Sviatoslav Richter, (Svee-ato-slav) or Willie Nelson, or On the Road Again, for that matter.

There is a problem with album names as well as with more complex artist names. If I try manually to scroll though the albums on the little LCD, I get a couple and then no more. I'm assuming that I have some messed up album names which I'll find when I edit the file metadata.

I have an excellent mp3 metadata editor which runs on Ubuntu Linux and will allow me to change artist and album names in an entire folder, or even globally.

My plan is to rename albums to shorter names - Django One, Django Two, for example and change names of artists where the present name is something like the London Promenade Pickup Symphonic Players, to Sullivan, the composer.

So my question is, has any one of you done this and if so what was your experience.

To put it another way, you guys who have 32 gig drives full of music; can your "voice from above" really recognize the spoken name and play anything on the drive?

Or are you using playlists?

Bookmarks & Social Networks